The Randy Staub love thread

yeah the ssl plugin does not sound like the one in the console nor does the fx384 sound like the one in the console....also the ballistics on the meter are different.............on the console you can get away with knocking back 8 db.....on the fx384 it starts to draw in and sound bad....on the plugin:cry:

i am boggled by the boosts at 300 for bass and 100 for overheads......whether mixing on a console or not.....other than maybe these frequencies where used as sidechains......

love randy staubs mixes though.

thanks for the info C_F_H_13

The thing with boosting 100hz is that actually it somewhat scoops the sound,beefing the snare, giving it more presence, and giving more sustain to the cymbals. It also somewhat removes whatever cardboard sound the ohs might be picking. I guess it wont work for everything but for rock and metal it rocks.

We´ve got a GSSL clone at the studio i work on, and i just cannot get more than 4db using ANY settings. I think for this to work (6 to 12db reduction) you should mixing from the start with it, like Ermin said, and you should deal with the levels/peaks/transients more carefully than usual. Otherwise it might sound like Chris Daughtry´s CD.

On an unrelated note I tried to do 8dB of GR with the Waves SSL Comp and it totally shit a brick, sideways. Cymbals started tearing apart and the entire mix became stifled as hell. So, it probably goes without saying that in order to execute this you need:

1. Outboard. Not plug-ins.
2. To mix into it from the start.

I'm doing that sometimes with the C2 and it works nicely....only with 2:1 and autorelease though.
too fast release will send shit flying all over the place.
I feel that with the C2 mixes start pumping between 4 and 6-7 dB of compression, funnily enough it's getting better above 7-8dB (only on autorelease though....and usually with a faster attack).

I've tried it with the Digi Impact and it doesn't work at all...more than like 2-3dB reduction and everything starts pumping and jumping

Thanks for the info C_F_H_13 that was a good read. I dug out that Some Kind Of Monster remix and damn, those cymbals are loud and hyped. Yuk. Not my thing but cool mix none the less. Love his work. He is top 5 for me. One of the best.

I've noticed on some tracks that this 'PCM42 trick' is done in a way where the delay is panned opposite to whichever side guitar it's delaying. What's an easy way of inverting the panning like this without resorting to two delays?

Im not sure if you have the waves delay ermz, but I think on that you might be able to grab the "coloured balls" and just drag them to the other side IIRC.

I'd really love to hear about what types of setting your are using for the faux pcm42 trick. How short of a delay? Panned opposite I guess right? How many repeats etc. Are you eq'ing or compressing the delayed signal?

Any info would be awesome!

Just a slapback. I'm using the 'Distorted' setting on Echoboy. I don't think it necessarily has to be opposite side. I'm hearing it on the same side at the start of Nickelback's 'Throw Yourself Away'. It's almost subtle enough just to add a bit of presence, kinda like early reflections.

Yeah it's generally between 8-12ms but up to 30 or 40. The thing with the actual hardware one, is that the sound of the distortion changes whether you have the X2 button push. Even if the delay is switched to the same time, the sound changes drastically.

I'm in the studio today, so if someone wants to upload a single guitar track, I'll quickly print a couple of different versions with all different settings, just so you can hear what it does to the sound on different settings.

I really want to hear what it does. Can i send you just a riff?

send anything you want. just make it a mono guitar file, and format, and sample rate.

either pm me, or post a dropbox link or something. If someone wants to get me a double tracked part too, I can show what happens when you insert it on one side of a pair.

Thanks, I might try flipping the sends in Cubase. I think there's a way to get a dual mono panner up for the FX tracks, but for the life of me can't remember where.

right click the panner and youll see the panning options :)

K, I decided to use the DI's from Goddamned Guitar's song 2 (hope you don't mind). Gonna do some quick shitty reamp, and then I'll show you guys the PCM trick.

Ok so this wasn't the most scientific/good test. The band I'm working with showed up 30 minutes early so I totally got rush to finish but here's what we got. Excuse the shit guitar tone, just had to throw up the 5150 with a greenback cab...no boost.

1. Mono Guitar Normal

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/PCM42 TESTS/MONO GUITAR NORM.wav

2. Mono Guitar as I sweep through the input knob on the PCM42 (on an insert). I go from the x1 setting from zero input all the way up, then back to zero and switch to x2 then all the way up, then I bypass the insert to show the difference between no PCM42 and ballz out. Notice how different they sound even when the delay is the same. One sounds like a preamp out of an amp almost, the other just sounds...well different.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/PCM42 TESTS/GTR CHANGING TONES.wav

3. Stereo guitars normal.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/PCM42 TESTS/REGULAR STEREO GUITARS.wav

4. Stereo guitars with the left channel with x2 mode ballz out. Normally you would do this subtly, but I did it totally over the top just to show you what it does.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338356/PCM42 TESTS/PCM ON FULL X2 ON LEFT GTR.wav

liek I said normally you would do this subtly, not as over the top as I did....oh and sorry if the files aren't balanced, I was in a rush.

CFH 13 man thanks for the learning on that. The last file sure does sound WIDE and that's what I'm looking for. All the stereo wideners are just phasey bullshit. I'm such a noob that I'll probably have to wait until someone comes up with a way to emulate that sound via plug-ins but I'd like to start working on it but can't until tomorrow night. I understand how to thicken/widen using the Haas Effect but that won't account for the character of the pcm42. I wonder if from your test if you can post up just the delayed signal? Wonder if you printed it to a seperate track.That way we could more easily try to get it together. Again thanks a bunch for your work and the edumacation!