The REAPER appreciation thread!

One last tricky question : is there any way to make buses ID from 1 to 8 ?

I explain myself : You can "group folders to the left" or do the same with "tracks which have receives". but their ID are still the original one. Result : midi communication with controllers won't show the busses to the left, but they will still show the tracks according to their ID number, from 1 to the last one. Therefore the feature is not usable with a controller because it will then not show the same. So the "group folders to the left" is only a cosmetic/GUI action in Reaper, but I would like it to actually show on a controller. Is there any way to do this as of now ? Of course I can send/receive to tracks manually, which I have done, but if this could be done natively or automatically, that would make my day !

The only way to do this is a mackie protocol controler with klinke plugin so you can use folder mode.

Lets say you have 8 main folders. It doesnt matter their id or the order, in folder mode you can control those folders with eight faders. with the press of a button you go inside the folder and now your faders control those tracks inside the folders.

You can also set anchors. This means that a fader locks to a track.

This can´t be done with touchosc , only MCU protocol and klinke plugin for reaper.

I know about track templates but you still have to do it manually ? I was thinking about this PT feature where in a single page you basically tell PT which track is what, and boom done.

SWS Snapshots works much like Import Session Data in Pro Tools for that.
If the tracks in the two sessions are named the same then it is automatic. If the names are different you'll have to manually assign/reassign/create new.

You can also save and recall the entire session or selected tracks to different versions of the mix very quickly.

I am not home right now but a simple question : is there an action to apply a folder volume setting to children tracks so the folder goes back to volume 0dB ? The idea is : I would like once satisfied with volume static mix to have all bus faders at zero to start automation. Say I needed +3dB on the vocal BUS, I would like it to go back to 0dB and apply +3dB to all tracks inside the folder. Is there such an action ?

You could make a custom action such as, select all children in current folder, run reaconsole +3db action. Or simply select all children with a shorcut and move one fader to whatever level you want and all of the other faders will follow.

Perfect use for a VCA, wait till V5.

I am not sure, I thought the grouping matrix was reaper's VCA ? what is V5 gonna change ? I have been trying to use v5 beta but some of my VST are unstable on it when pre-scanning the VST folder. Where would be the total list of improved features so far ? I could only see step by step lists ?

Proper VCAs, probably more customizable than in other daws. I don't have a full list, but these are the things I've noted over the past month.

Notation editor
VCA grouping
New theme
LUA scripting
Automation for item FX
Video filters
VST3

There are some big features but nothing that's going to shake up the industry.

Care to elaborate?

Auto color is an SWS extension tool that auto colors tracks, markers and regions.

So it goes like this. You open you auto color configuration an you make a list (which is saved for every project).

In the list you set things like: Tracks named guitars gets color red, tracks named drums gets yellow. Region called chorus get blue, region called Riff gets Red, etc

So when you create a project and create a region called chorus it automatically get coloured with red an so on.

Ahhh, awesome! I'll have to check into that. Right now I just use a template that has everything colored.

I use a template too, but i have to manually set regions (becouse they are song dependent) so this is great

Yep auto color is awesome. I have my personal colouring and it saves time, worst case I just need to rename files to my liking, so when I import them they already are named and look like what I expect.

All it does

@EOC : I think you can also save regions within your template so each time you fire it up you can just drag/place/copy them if you use them. Like have pre-set a "intro/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/outro" set of regions could save you time if you pretty much always use them !

Yep auto color is awesome. I have my personal colouring and it saves time, worst case I just need to rename files to my liking, so when I import them they already are named and look like what I expect.

All it does

@EOC : I think you can also save regions within your template so each time you fire it up you can just drag/place/copy them if you use them. Like have pre-set a "intro/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/outro" set of regions could save you time if you pretty much always use them !

Yeah you can save the regions within templates so the only thing you just need to do is place them in sync to the structure of the song. But i dont know why but it seemed faster creating the region and just name it. Gonna try again your suggestion though

Guys, I like Reaper and use it although I'm a rookie. Do you know how to change a window background color?

Thank you, coudln't find the answer.

Yeah you can save the regions within templates so the only thing you just need to do is place them in sync to the structure of the song. But i dont know why but it seemed faster creating the region and just name it. Gonna try again your suggestion though
I haven't tried it, but try saving a template which consists ONLY in a few regions. Now I think you can "insert a template" which adds the tracks to your current project. Maybe it will just insert the regions ? Then you could have a "Regions" template to load any time you need the regions. Not sure it works, have a go :)