The REAPER appreciation thread!

what do you mean horizontally but not vertically? How do you move a tempo marker vertically?

When viewing the master track envelope, moving vertically = tempo and moving horizontally= moving time sigs by beats/bars

I know what you mean. The only other way (I think) I discovered is if you create a region over the entire track and move the region around. But if I recall correctly, last time I messed with the regions it sorta confused me.

I'm going to go ahead and leave this post here from another REAPER thread. This helped me out yesterday.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/f-o-h/850825-tutorial-converting-drums-midi-reaper.html

There are a bunch of extra menus that aren't listed in certain toolbars. The MIDI editor/CTRL+F2 thing.....Couldn't figure that out on my own.

I had a shit load of regions so I don't think I can have regions within regions...

Edit: tried it and it's buggy as fuck (regions within regions)

Shift+CMD (CTRL for me) doesn't work here. Humph.

Go to mouse modifiers, context envelope point and pick whatever you want

XTz8zZD.png

Here's what our live setup looks like, each song is a project tab, load them all with sws ext.

Then I either have markers to switch to next song automatically and start playing or there's two keys that are next/previous project (arrors marked with some gaff tape)

zXJhMps.png

@JonWormwood wicked setup bro. is it reliable? what computer/interface do you use?

@JonWormwood wicked setup bro. is it reliable? what computer/interface do you use?

Approaching 100 shows, no issues what so ever. Using a macbook and motu 828mk3 but most of the shows were done with a m audio fast track ultra and net book.

I run another instance that records the live set/practice. We run everything thru the motu for 5 Iem mixes so recording multitracks is just another click to setup.

So what are the benefits of having all the songs on separate tabs vs one big session?

Seems like there would be a greater chance of Reaper shitting the bed with it being set up like that, no?

So what are the benefits of having all the songs on separate tabs vs one big session?

Seems like there would be a greater chance of Reaper shitting the bed with it being set up like that, no?

It started with an old pc laptop we used for live shows, it would get laggy while trying to do midi edits on a project that was 45 mins long. A modern laptop wouldn't have that issue but it's nice changing the set on the fly.

I guess reaper could shit it self...

Thought about something today..

Would it be possible in Reaper to make the 'solo in front' function controllable with a volume slider / pot..? As in, from 100% solo to zero..?

It started with an old pc laptop we used for live shows, it would get laggy while trying to do midi edits on a project that was 45 mins long. A modern laptop wouldn't have that issue but it's nice changing the set on the fly.

I guess reaper could shit it self...

My band has been toying with the idea of practicing and playing live to click tracks. We only ever use them to record, and we have backing samples in our live set that ..... should most likely be laid out to a tempo map instead of us just hoping that we're close to being on-time with the samples.... =/

Question: if something goes wrong with your clicks/laptop/whatever while you're performing live - what do you do? Just have someone close out that session/tempo map for that song and wing it? This is the thing that worries me....our drummer is pretty good to a click, but sometimes he gets retarded and will get a beat off and this scares the shit out of me for trying to play live with clicks.

My band has been toying with the idea of practicing and playing live to click tracks. We only ever use them to record, and we have backing samples in our live set that ..... should most likely be laid out to a tempo map instead of us just hoping that we're close to being on-time with the samples.... =/

Question: if something goes wrong with your clicks/laptop/whatever while you're performing live - what do you do? Just have someone close out that session/tempo map for that song and wing it? This is the thing that worries me....our drummer is pretty good to a click, but sometimes he gets retarded and will get a beat off and this scares the shit out of me for trying to play live with clicks.

Pretty simple.... Don't fuck up!

:lol: I know that! Just asking what you'd do if the drummer DID happen to get off from the click, then the rest of the song/samples would be fucked.

I know this is the appreesh thread, but this one little thing about caused my head to pop the other day. It was to the point where I was creating an image/screen capture of my problem to post here, then suddenly I figured it out.

I always use folders. So I have my drum folder, and sub folders inside that for kick/snare/tom/oh groups, etc. Somehow everything after my kick group was also in the kick groups subfolder instead of their own sub under -drums-....

So, simple, all I have to do is click and drag, right? No.... -.- I discovered that you cannot just click a folder and slide it left to take it out of another folder, and that it would either get put under the previous subfolder or taken out of the drum group entirely. Maybe this was just a bout of retardation on my part, but it seriously started pissing me off. Not sure if this is even making sense to anyone. :lol:

So then I "Undo" the folder that is killing me, and try to situate things. Redo the folder, then EVERYTHING below it is under this subfolder!! ARRRRGHHH!!! I finally found a workaround that basically just involved undoing the folder, moving them "out" of the previous group, then recreating the folder.

So weird but such a pain. Then I realized - a bunch of previous sessions I've done, had a drum group as the first bunch of tracks, and guitar groups and bass groups etc were all subbed under the drum group! And I had no clue at the time! 0.o

:lol: I know that! Just asking what you'd do if the drummer DID happen to get off from the click, then the rest of the song/samples would be fucked.

I know this is the appreesh thread, but this one little thing about caused my head to pop the other day. It was to the point where I was creating an image/screen capture of my problem to post here, then suddenly I figured it out.

I always use folders. So I have my drum folder, and sub folders inside that for kick/snare/tom/oh groups, etc. Somehow everything after my kick group was also in the kick groups subfolder instead of their own sub under -drums-....

So, simple, all I have to do is click and drag, right? No.... -.- I discovered that you cannot just click a folder and slide it left to take it out of another folder, and that it would either get put under the previous subfolder or taken out of the drum group entirely. Maybe this was just a bout of retardation on my part, but it seriously started pissing me off. Not sure if this is even making sense to anyone. :lol:

So then I "Undo" the folder that is killing me, and try to situate things. Redo the folder, then EVERYTHING below it is under this subfolder!! ARRRRGHHH!!! I finally found a workaround that basically just involved undoing the folder, moving them "out" of the previous group, then recreating the folder.

So weird but such a pain. Then I realized - a bunch of previous sessions I've done, had a drum group as the first bunch of tracks, and guitar groups and bass groups etc were all subbed under the drum group! And I had no clue at the time! 0.o

Give him pre recorded guitars if he's not getting live guitars to his ears?

Hahaha, I've messed up folders in reaper before during a mix and I'm like, "these meters make NOOO sense to what I'm actually hearing... Oh"

I use ableton for live tracks. The clip view makes it easy to assign buttons on my midid controller to each track as well buttons for stop/play. I have a master volume slider and a master eq. The drummer has complete control over the tracks. It works great.

But this is a reaper appreciation thread so I must say that it has changed my whole perspective on digital music. I always thought to produce good music you had to spend a lot of money. Reaper threw that stupid idea right out the window!

Hahaha, I've messed up folders in reaper before during a mix and I'm like, "these meters make NOOO sense to what I'm actually hearing... Oh"

Yeah. I've also grouped drum tracks for editing, then wanted to move one of the tracks to a different/blank track for some reason, forgot that everything was grouped, and I'm EQing toms and wondering why I'm not hearing the filters take effect.....low and behold, my OH track was on my tom track and shit was allll messed up. :lol:

You can totally drag a folder left to make it go down the hierarchy by 1 level, you need to drag and have your mouse point at the bottom left of the folder area, you will see the line representing the relationship between your track to the one above it change from a half line to a full line if you get what I mean, and you can move it anywhere, while being careful with this line representation ? Unless reaper has changed drastically since last time I used it, it has always worked like this. Or maybe I didn't get the problem with your drum folder tracks ?

I use ableton for live tracks. The clip view makes it easy to assign buttons on my midid controller to each track as well buttons for stop/play. I have a master volume slider and a master eq. The drummer has complete control over the tracks. It works great.

But this is a reaper appreciation thread so I must say that it has changed my whole perspective on digital music. I always thought to produce good music you had to spend a lot of money. Reaper threw that stupid idea right out the window!

At some point I thought about going to ableton for live use, but literally I'm just playing back some FOh backing stuff, clicks and midi automation. Reaper is stable and works!