The REAPER appreciation thread!

another function that as far as i know is custom pre-roll length. Ex-pro tools user may know it, you just click where you want to start recording, then Alt+click when you want to start playing from, it will start playing from this point, and when reaching the punch in point it will start recording.
i know that reaper can do a 1/2 bar pre-roll, but no other options, and you cant set it easilly with clicks like in pro tools.

anyone know how to do it?

The issue is that I don't want to actually break up the track with the pre roll, I want it hidden, but when I expand the new take out, it will be there.

For example, here I have the time selection covering the area I want to punch in, but the sound starts just a bit before the actual grid, I would like the take to be square with the grid, but have that preroll available if I decide to keep that attack of the new take.

preroll.png

Is there anyway to have it actually record a little bit of pre and post roll outside of the selected punch in?
It would be great to have just a second extra for shifting parts around when punching in rather than have it start and end exactly on the in/out points.

Reaper always records everything from when you hit record to when you stop if you are in Time Selection Auto Punch mode. Just expand the edges of the new part you recorded and you will see all of the audio is there.

Sloan, when you do the automatic time punch, it will record everything before the time punch, you could start it like 30 seconds before and play, and it will record all of that. i dont think it records the preroll, but if you want it to record the 4 beats(or however long your preroll is) before the time selection, then hit the record button measure or 2 before and it will record that. it will all be there. all the time punch does is place it there for you, instead of having to record another track, size it, then put it in the original

and aviel, just right click the metronome button on the top, it has all the options there

Sloan, when you do the automatic time punch, it will record everything before the time punch, you could start it like 30 seconds before and play, and it will record all of that. i dont think it records the preroll, but if you want it to record the 4 beats(or however long your preroll is) before the time selection, then hit the record button measure or 2 before and it will record that. it will all be there. all the time punch does is place it there for you, instead of having to record another track, size it, then put it in the original

and aviel, just right click the metronome button on the top, it has all the options there

yeah I get it now, just set the selection and then start recording earlier instead of preroll.

yes, but it has to be set in the option each time. i mean, in pro tools for example, before each take you can just click where you want your record to start, and when you want the pre-roll to start. very intuitive

yes, but it has to be set in the option each time. i mean, in pro tools for example, before each take you can just click where you want your record to start, and when you want the pre-roll to start. very intuitive

if you set it to auto time punch like sloan was talking about, and just select where you want to start to the end of the song, and then click where you would want the preroll and hit record, it will do what you want. like i said up there, it will automatically put it where you wanted it in the first place. kinda round about way,but it still works

Just one kinda off topic question - would you recommend checking those Groove3 videos about R4 out, are they good enough?

Definitely worth checking out, I've been using Reaper for years and it goes into some functions/features I never would have even thought about. Very cool. They sometimes do free 30 day trials and you can go in there and watch a bunch of vids.

All the Groove 3 videos are excellent. Yes, as a sponsor of the Reaper Blog they pay me to say that BUT I was giving them money and saying that before.

The latest Tips and Tips video is great. I learned a couple new ways to do things in every category.

So... I just started programming some drums for my band's work, and I'm using the Jonas Drumreasampler and some free samples (the Biganalogue set). I made a multi-sample with the snare for drumrolls, and I used 12 samples, but it's only picking up 9. I think I need more silence between some of the samples...

But my main problem, is I found the link to the latest version of this plugin, and it's a text file o_O
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=338775&postcount=168

Should I change the file extension and see if it works for me? Or do I need to look into editing it in the actual programming?

But my main problem, is I found the link to the latest version of this plugin, and it's a text file o_O
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=338775&postcount=168

There are a lot of parts of Reaper that can be edited with a text editor. The preferences and VST cache and others.

Looking in my JS plugins folder (users/user/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Effects/) none of the effects have an extension.
So, try removing the .txt extension and see if it shows up in REAPER.

There are a lot of parts of Reaper that can be edited with a text editor. The preferences and VST cache and others.

Looking in my JS plugins folder (users/user/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Effects/) none of the effects have an extension.
So, try removing the .txt extension and see if it shows up in REAPER.
I just read the last page of that thread, and saw that somebody (another swede) noticed the code. Evidently, I need to update it via coding. Because the txt file had commentary and stuff in it after I translated it with Google. Time to call up my coding buddies lol!

Ugh, I'm an idiot. JS plugins can be available as plain text files, and you just load that into your Effects folder >.< I now have DrumReaplacer 1.095! Work great, too! Now I just need to alter my drum programming some to get the multisamples to come out right.

If I start customizing a bunch of stuff in Reaper, will it automatically save that to default? I imagine if it did, and I wanted to reset things, it'd be a pain.