The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

Leper_Affinity

++Blackened++
Jun 15, 2005
Hobart, TAS
www.torrentspy.com
I've wanted to start this for a while now. The purpose of this thread is to broaden our metal horizons, so that we can maximise our enjoyment of the genre. I have found recommendations from friends etc as the BEST way to get into new music.

Just recommend an album that you totally love. Why is it good? What type of metal is it? Try and include the cover!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, I'll Start off...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

archenemy2005doomsdaymachine.jpg

Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine.

This CD is, I believe, the best Arch Enemy cd. Standout tracks are Nemesis, Taking Back My Soul, and I Am Legend / Out For Blood. These guys are definetely death metal, and their riffs are so fucking good. Good doublekick blasts etc, great death vocals, and really fucking catchy songs.

Definetely they don't have the same progressive flow that Opeth possess, but, their songs are so dynamic with their riffature and solos, they never fail to impress.

8.5/10

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

Forget what everyone says about the band and if they are sell outs or whatever, this album is just what I have always wanted to hear. The production is amazing, and the diversity of each track is something many bands never achieve, including them on other albums.

People might not give it a chance just because its them, but everyone should listen to the song Perfection Or Vanity. Its definatly a grand album, and if you don't like the whole orchestra idea then you might want to avoid it, but this is a razor sharp CD with some excellent ideas and some very unique vocal styles and patterns. I cant find a bad thing to say about it, even the lyrics work for it and it is just a very solid and powerful extreme metal CD.

8/10

dimmuborgir2001puritanicaleuphoricmisanthropia.jpg

Cryptopsy - Once Was Not
-----------------
need i say more?

10.27%20CD-Cryptopsy.jpg

Well good old Lord Worm is back, those spine tingling vocals that we are so familiar are back in the game.
Some sick riffs, Alex Auburn is a maestro on the guitar with some nice solos and funky rhythms.
Finally, Flo - he takes the cake. Jazz influenced metal and blastbeats coming from every direction this album is sure to blow you away.
Pure fucking intense death metal at its peak.

Though not quite as good as None so Vile (well nothing is) this album gets two thumbs up and 8/10 for me:)

Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell

Symphonic/Folk Metal

The sound is pretty epic, and the song structures are pretty tight. Cool riffs, growling vocals, some female vocals, chants. This is music that will pump you up, and sounds sort of like it could be in a movie soundtrack maybe. One of the best uses of orchestral instruments in metal that I've heard. I think they're samples, but they sound pretty good most of the time.

How do you post a pic? I feel like a dumbass....:erk:

Thumb016.jpg

AMORPHIS - ELEGY

After releasing two crushing death metal masterpieces, Amorphis takes a step to the world of progressive music with Elegy, while still keeping the death metal elements dominant in the music. From Elegy onwards Pasi Koskinen (Ajattara, Shape of Despair) handles the clean singing with his very unique voice, and for the last time in Amorphis' history, Tomi Koivusaari delivers his *low* growls. Overall a very solid album that contains very strong individual songs as well (the opener Better Unborn is definitely one of Amorphis' best songs) with death metal, progressive and folk elements. A must have for fans of death metal and prog, which shows Amorphis' both styles of music very well (went prog rock after this one).

9.5/10

Amorphis rocks.

My recommendation:
zh-afm-coverblank.jpg

Zero Hour - A Fragile Mind

Also their other two albums. Zero Hour is a band that looks at progressive metal in a different perspective. Often reversing the roles of drums and guitar, Zero Hour's rhythmic maelstorm demands obligatory headbanging. Accentuated by the brilliant but tasteful instrumental work of brothers Jasun and Troy Tiptun, and the powerful voice of new singer Fred Marshall, this disc is quite solid. On previous albums, Erik Rosvold's voice was something else- somewhere between haunting spoken-word poetry and tormented anguished cries. His range was exceptional, and lyrically he was also great.
One of my favorite bands, and one of the better albums I've bought this year. 9/10

affinityband said:
Silentt sonng noottt marillion one of my best friends is sofi hogarth and thats her dads bannnddd(well hes the singer, but he acts like hes all of it). URGH.
musically they are (and were) good. Rothery rules.

i almost posted an album, but realized this must be a joke thread. with doomsday machine, dimmu borgir and the new cryptopsy being "recommended". the "arch enemy is progressive like opeth with their riffature, blah blah" is what gave it away for me (let alone the 8.5 rating, and saying its the BEST arch enemy album).

it is a joke thread...right? :err:

it is a thread for people to suggest albums for people to listen to, not a thread to debate on if someone else thinks they are good or not. If you don't want to listen to the albums suggested don't, I'm sure it would suit us all just fine.

I liked this thread more when it wasn't a debate. Just ideas. Don't like 'em, don't listen. Simple.

If you guys think this is a joke thread, I'll put it on the road to recovery with one simple move:

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

B00005MLRG.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Possibly the most experimental and satisfying album of all time, Sigh pretty much owns everyone, period.

I like the idea of this thread but I'm having difficulties in choosing which album to recommend...
I guess everyone here has already heard of Emperor's "IX Equilibrium" and Arcturus' "La Masquerade Infernale" as well as Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" so I won't bother with them...
I'll go with the bit more obscure "Written in Waters" by Ved Buens Ende...
744_3670.jpg

It's a dark, twisted and grim album, including members of other Norwegian bands, like Skoll from Ulver/Arcturus. I like its deranged, dreamlike atmosphere. The "true" production may turn some people off, though. There are albums I like more than this but I chose this because I think not that many people have heard of it.

8/10