The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

opeth_353 said:
How about some Dan Swano recommendations - i've heard nothing but good stuff about his work, but i don't know what work is his! Just need 5 or so album/band recommendations to search for when i get paid hehe.
Edit: Sorry 'bout the double post....

Good question! I've been thinking the same thing!

Everyone has forgotten about this masterpiece now anyways. Its sad really. Such a waste of talent. I'd say if you like Opeth you should like this style too most likely. I could be wrong im sure!

"Earthtone 09 - Arc'tan'gent"

arctancover.gif

Here are some tracks i have found online if you want to check them out. Its far from their best works however.

http://www.et9evo.iofm.net/site/mp3/tattwamasi.mp3

http://www.et9evo.iofm.net/site/mp3/3rdripple.mp3

http://www.et9evo.iofm.net/site/mp3/grind.mp3

There are more here... http://www.et9evo.iofm.net/site/download.htm

:hotjump:

opeth_353 said:
lmfao.. I swear that Lindinsfarne were also a fucking awful 80s Geordie pop band :headbang:

Actually, Lindisfarne was a 70's folk band with close connections to the prog scene... it may have come a pop band later, but I wouldn't know about that.

How about some Dan Swano recommendations - i've heard nothing but good stuff about his work, but i don't know what work is his! Just need 5 or so album/band recommendations to search for when i get paid hehe.

Edge of Sanity: Crimson (above all), Crimson II, Purgatory Afterglow

Dan Swanö: Moontower

I haven't heard Nightingale, but I'm about to change that as soon as possible.

Wolftribe said:
Swano, eh?

Well, i'd first recommend Edge of Sanity- Crimson, and Crimson II
I agree... Or his solo album "Moontower", which is one of my all time favourites. And if you haven't heard Nightingale before, I'd recommend "Nightfall Overture", since it's got re-recorded songs of their first 4 albums.

twilight_ophera-the_end_of_halcyan_age.jpeg

Twilight Ophera "The End of Halcyon Age"
9/10
Very awesome Melodic Black Metal. Great Vocals (including some clean vocals) and pretty technical. The production however, I feel could have been better.

d100.jpg

Divercia "Modus Operandi"
8/10
Good Gothic Metal album, sounds a bit like Children of Bodom(Follow the Reaper/Hate Crew Deathroll era), but with great, deep, full sounding vocals, and of course a gothic feel. Good production.

159357-0-300-0-300.jpg

Arch Enemy "Stigmata"
9/10
Very good Melodeath; how it's supposed to sound. Arch Enemy's second to last good album (Burning Bridges being the last). Technical music, the tone of the guitars makes it sound somewhat loose, but it's still pretty tight. The vocals are average, Johan Liiva is definately better than Angela Gossow though. Good production.

Ok, downloaded some Nightingale tunes... I have to say they're not my cup of tea :)
Reminds me of Spiritual Beggars a bit.

vampyrouss said:
5ive - Self Titled

I'd suggest any of their CDs, but this one is my personal favourite, I'd advise anyone who like Pelican to listen to this, even if its a little... different!
47 minutes of Doom/Drone/ambience. These 2 guys are just amazing, and yeah, it would be hard to say why I suggest them, just give it a listen with an open mind. Its an experience! And one that I enjoy very much when in the right mood!

10/10

5ive.jpg

W T F

http://www.5iveusa.com/

vampyrouss said:
5ive - Self Titled

I'd suggest any of their CDs, but this one is my personal favourite, I'd advise anyone who like Pelican to listen to this, even if its a little... different!
47 minutes of Doom/Drone/ambience. These 2 guys are just amazing, and yeah, it would be hard to say why I suggest them, just give it a listen with an open mind. Its an experience! And one that I enjoy very much when in the right mood!

10/10

5ive.jpg

5ive-album.jpg

Psycroptic - The Scepter of the Ancients

the-scepter-of-the-ancients.jpg

9/10
Fuckin awesome band i really dont know how to describe them... tech death maybe but yeh definately have a listen, Dave Haley on the kit goes fuckin insane and Mathew Chalk on vocals is intense.
go to the site for MP3 if u want but this album owns
standout tracks for me: Cruelty Incarnate, The Scepter of Jaar-gilon, and the Colour of Sleep.

Wintersun - Wintersun
wintersun.jpg

I'm surprised no one recommended this one yet. An amazing album, even though the last song could've had a few sweet solos, but thats a small gripe. One of the best releases of '04 bar none. Mixture of fast, thrashy, power/folk metal type songs with black metal vocals, and slow, powerful and emotional ballad type songs. 9/10.

The Postman Syndrome - Terraforming
Postman-Syndrome_Terraforming.jpg

Imagine Tool with three guitarists, about 4 vocalists, and a tinge of hardcore influence. This spells out to AWESOME. This band is criminally overlooked and its a shame because there is talent bursting at the seams here. The new track they posted is actually better than anything on this amazing album, which should say something about this band's promising future.
8/10
edit: Recommend a METAL album Thread.

Extol - Synergy
ex.jpg

Extol's most underrated album is a masterpiece in my eyes. Techncial thrash at its finest. The guitar parts are mind bending and the mix of dissonance with harmony is amazing. Ole Borud, the mastermind behind's extol unique sound (also pictured in my avatar :cool: ) sings a good deal on this album (his voice is one of the best/most unique i've ever heard). Awesome album. It's not an instant winner, but let it grow on you.
9/10

EveOfDarkness said:
Wintersun - Wintersun
wintersun.jpg

I'm surprised no one recommended this one yet. An amazing album, even though the last song could've had a few sweet solos, but thats a small gripe. One of the best releases of '04 bar none. Mixture of fast, thrashy, power/folk metal type songs with black metal vocals, and slow, powerful and emotional ballad type songs. 9/10.

I was actually thinking of suggesting it, since my brother listened to it today, but I'm not so much into it myself. Many of my friends have praised it though.

cov-evergrey-recreationday-300.jpg

EverGrey - Recreation Day

This is the best album I've ever bought 10/10 I can't really say how good it is just buy it and listen I promise you won't be disapointed and I'm not the only one who agrees. Check out these Scored Reviews

http://www.metalreview.com/viewreview.aspx?ID=320

http://www.metalreviews.com/ (Gave it 100/100 never see that on this site)

Well whatever you get the idea, if you're going random CD shopping I suggest this one without a doubt

annt said:
I was actually thinking of suggesting it, since my brother listened to it today, but I'm not so much into it myself. Many of my friends have praised it though.

I have this CD it's fucking Great 9/10

Psycroptipath said:
fuck off or post something meaningful. jesus... it wears thin after a while.

i did post something meaningful. i listed 5 tier 1 metal albums, and i know for a fact 90% of these noob twats wont bother checking them out in trade for listening to doomsday machine for the 30th time this week. my posts are arbitrary, but theyre no less "useful" than these kids recommending some of the most boring music this side of cannibal corpse. get a clue or ignore what i have to say.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i did post something meaningful. i listed 5 tier 1 metal albums, and i know for a fact 90% of these noob twats wont bother checking them out in trade for listening to doomsday machine for the 30th time this week. my posts are arbitrary, but theyre no less "useful" than these kids recommending some of the most boring music this side of cannibal corpse. get a clue or ignore what i have to say.

I actually got Schaliach's Sonrise about a week ago and loved it just like i knew I would (Ole is the man:cool: ). I'll have to check out the other ones you posted.