The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, thats certainly your loss, and your stupidity getting in the way of your tastes maturing. But its frankly exactly what id expect from a dimmu borgir fan.

So what exactly makes any music you like mature and anything you don't like immature? If you look at the other bands I like I am hardly a Dimmu Borgir fan, suggesting that that is all I listen to. Frankly if you are so closed minded about music its your loss, I've listened to Enslaved, and I wasn't impressed, I'd rather listen to Dimmu personally, but I wouldn't complain if a friend put it on. You kick and flail at the mention of Dimmu Borgir. Nice one.

I would say Black Metal and Sell Out Black metal ARE my favourite types of music, but I listen to Opeth, 5ive, Pelican, Fantomas, The Berzerker, Mortiis, Viking Skull, The Locust, Radiohead, Pig Destroyer, Children Of Bodom, System Of A Down, Khanate, Sunn O))), The Haunted, Fleshgrind, Mr.Bungle, Camel, Cradle Of Filth and Rasputina.

I don't think any of those bands bare any resemblance, except Nicholas Barker in CoF and Dimmu Borgir, and a couple other cross-members of bands, but aside from them these bands are completely different, and I enjoy them all. So sorry for being a close-minded Dimmu Borgir fan.

the fact that you cant recognize the ridiculousness of anything containing Shagrath or Dani Filth...proves everything ive stated thus far. Im not going to waste anymore time trying to explain it to you. Have fun being a sandbox metalhead.

Metal head? Since when were Camel, Radiohead, The Cure, Mortiis and such metal? I do listen to a lot of Metal, you are right, and a lot of it you obviously don't like, but you only chose to pick on CoF and Dimmu Borgir. This shows that you either can't read, or choose not to read things that prove you wrong. I would recommend any albums by the bands I mentioned because I am a sandbox metalhead.

And who said I don't recognise the ridiculousness?
I listen to GWAR, and I certainly see the funny side, and I see the tongue in cheek attributes of CoF.
Have you even heard a CoF or Dimmu Borgir album? As in all of it, and actually listened to it, not mocked it the whole way through? I have listened to some Enslaved, and I certainly wouldn't mock it, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it myself.

By the way you still did't answer why you think any music you like is mature yet anything you don't like is immature?

vampyrouss said:
Metal head? Since when were Camel, Radiohead, The Cure, Mortiis and such metal? I do listen to a lot of Metal, you are right, and a lot of it you obviously don't like, but you only chose to pick on CoF and Dimmu Borgir. This shows that you either can't read, or choose not to read things that prove you wrong. I would recommend any albums by the bands I mentioned because I am a sandbox metalhead.

And who said I don't recognise the ridiculousness?
I listen to GWAR, and I certainly see the funny side, and I see the tongue in cheek attributes of CoF.
Have you even heard a CoF or Dimmu Borgir album? As in all of it, and actually listened to it, not mocked it the whole way through? I have listened to some Enslaved, and I certainly wouldn't mock it, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it myself.

By the way you still did't answer why you think any music you like is mature yet anything you don't like is immature?

im sorry pal...listening to "camel" on the opeth forum...AND radiohead, which is one of the most popular rock bands of this era...hardly blows my mind about you being diverse and open minded...or getting away without being labeled as a metalhead. youre on a metal forum. 90% of what you like IS metal im sure, and your name is vampyrous. youre not spinning any heads here trying to claim to be all worldly now.

it cracks me up that the people like you...always acuse the ones with the actual "broad" taste in music of being close minded. yet youll find very few people who ARE indeed "open minded" finding enough time in the day to listen to most of the bands you "recommended" as being great. im sure you and i will never see eye to eye on this, which is fine...

as for "hearing" cradle and dimmu all the way through...yes of course i have. i have FORGOTTEN more metal than youll ever hope to say you enjoy. im not going to be lectured on how im passing judgement on stuff i havent heard, when i have heard it, and it was hands down shit. ill admit both bands have "talent" within the means of their "vision", but their songwriting is nothing that emperor, arcturus, burzum or the like do 10 times better for example.

im sorry pal...listening to "camel" on the opeth forum...AND radiohead, which is one of the most popular rock bands of this era...hardly blows my mind about you being diverse and open minded...or getting away without being labeled as a metalhead. youre on a metal forum. 90% of what you like IS metal im sure, and your name is vampyrous. youre not spinning any heads here trying to claim to be all worldly now.

it cracks me up that the people like you...always acCuse the ones with the actual "broad" taste in music of being close minded. yet youll find very few people who ARE indeed "open minded" finding enough time in the day to listen to most of the bands you "recommended" as being great. im sure you and i will never see eye to eye on this, which is fine...

as for "hearing" cradle and dimmu all the way through...yes of course i have. i have FORGOTTEN more metal than youll ever hope to say you enjoy. im not going to be lectured on how im passing judgement on stuff i havent heard, when i have heard it, and it was hands down shit. ill admit both bands have "talent" within the means of their "vision", but their songwriting is nothing that emperor, arcturus, burzum or the like do 10 times better for example.

I didn't claim any of the bands I like to be great by the way. I just like them.
You seem to think you are some great wise old man, you are 22, I am 19, not a lot of difference there I am afraid. I don't claim to know anything else about you except for the fact you are clearly psychic, otherwise you wouldn't know how worldly I am, or that you have heard and forgotten a lot more metal than I will ever enjoy.

And I'd say about 2% of the music I listen to would be good by your standards, Yes, Camel, Emperor, whatever else you mentioned that I like. But you know nothing about me, so stop acting all mighty and knowledgeable.

You have a very elitist view on music whereas I can enjoy rubbish like CoF as well as musical masterpieces such as Close To The Edge or The Ladder. I don't doubt that you are open to a diverse array of music, but I fail to see how you can judge me without knowing anything about me.

And for your information, Vampyrouss is my band, a little check of my profile or Signature would probably give it away, we are hardly a metal band, being that we don't have a guitarist or sound anything like any metal band I know. Check your facts before you acCuse people man.

even proves my point further then. youre in a BAND called "vampyrous" and im supposed to think youre not a metalhead or some goth chick?

but regardless, youre wrong. you can tell a lot about someone from their musical interests. yes, our ages arent far apart, but the passion and experience is the divide. i frankly dont care...im only on this forum to talk about things IM interested in, or to spin people like your's wheels. most of you should probably have figured that out by now.

even proves my point further then. youre in a BAND called "vampyrous" and im supposed to think youre not a metalhead or some goth chick?

For gods sake man, READ. My band VampyrousS is not metal in the slightest! As I clearly stated in my last post! Fair enough you like to wind people up, but you are really full of yourself aren't you? And again with your unjustified opinions...
You keep saying people like me? Who are these people? For all your "level headedness" and "open mind" you really don't try and understand things do you? People couldn't possibly think differently to you, or like different music?

I state once again, I don't think any music I like is the better than anything else, and I really don't think I am better than anyone either. I don't claim to know more about music than you, or think you are a moron or anything like that ok?

Now can we please get back to suggesting albums that we can all either listen to or ignore please? ;)

Sand - Still Born Alive

"Cinematic/Electronic/ Dance/Techno/Funk elements" is apparantly what makes up this album... I don't know if thats right... its quite jazzy, and I usually listen to it as background music rather than concentrating fully on it, but it is definatly worth a listen! I haven't heard anything else by them but if this album is anything to go on I will be soon!

7/10

Maybe higher if I listened to it with my full attention, but it even stands out from a lot of music as background noise!

sand2002stillbornalive.jpg

Silent Song said:
wouldn't want to see Joey get banned..... again.
Seriously. Not to inflate his ego or anything, but he's a good resource. I have selfish motives.

soundave said:
Seriously. Not to inflate his ego or anything, but he's a good resource. I have selfish motives.
I was serious too. He has great music sense, although at times it makes his replies (are you reading this dude) come off as rude and condescending.
still a great guy though.

Bolt Thrower-Those Once Loyal
It is basically what one would expect a Bolt Thrower album to sound like. It was just released and it is very good. I would say a return to form after their slight misstep with Honour Valour Pride and it is made better by the fact alone that Karl Willets has rejoined the band. It is not the most complex or technical stuff in the world but still a good listen...As for a rating I'm really not sure what I would give it but it is good.

HVP is one cd that is far more boring than any of their other stuff and in any case to each their own. Anyway, for fans of Bolt Thrower this one is up there with mercenary and the IVth Crusade...but if this isn't your thing then whatever. As I said it isn't anything mind blowing or insanely technical but it is a very good listen.

Yeah I wasn't having a go mate.. this kinda Metal isn't my thing at all.. but then again I am listening to the Butterfly Effect right now (an Australian band).. so to each their own indeed.

Mabool by Orphaned Land.
They draw many of their influences from Middle-eastern--sometimes Indian--themes. And any cultural music from either region is great.

Aspera Hiems Symfonia by Arcturus.

Terria by Devin Townsend.

Now that I think about it, I haven't kept up with metal in ages. I find that my number of suggestions have grown pretty short. What I could recommend hardly has any elements of metal at all.