The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

EveOfDarkness said:
what dont you like about it, annt? just curious

I wouldn't say I don't like it, it's just... well, not my style :)
A bit too... heroic, if you know what I mean.

I'll put a list of my favourite metal albums (other than all Opeth CDs) here:

Anathema - Judgement
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Emperor - IX Equilibrium
King Diamond - Voodoo
Pain of Salvation - all albums
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Tool - Lateralus (does this count as metal?)

I'm sure I forgot something...

edit: Sentenced - North From Here, definitely!

Black Rain said:
EverGrey - Recreation Day

This is the best album I've ever bought 10/10 I can't really say how good it is just buy it and listen I promise you won't be disapointed and I'm not the only one who agrees.

I agree. Evergrey is great and 'Recreation Day' is their best album so far.

My suggestion:

Peccatum "Lost In Reverie'

12106.jpg

It's Ihsahn's project, which is good recommendation itself. You can find almost every kind of music there: black, industrial, jazz, rock, ballads with piano... It isn't pure metal, there are only metal elemets, but if you like original music, you'll enjoy it. It's strange, dark and fascinating.

B00003W85V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sentenced - Crimson

sentenced_down.jpg

Sentenced - Down

Two of the best (I think, anyway), most gloomy albums I've ever heard. Definitely not as heavy as their earlier stuff (North From Here, Shadows of the Past, etc.), but still kicks ass! I've always thought these two CDs made the perfect soundtrack to a bleak autumn day.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i did post something meaningful. i listed 5 tier 1 metal albums, and i know for a fact 90% of these noob twats wont bother checking them out in trade for listening to doomsday machine for the 30th time this week. my posts are arbitrary, but theyre no less "useful" than these kids recommending some of the most boring music this side of cannibal corpse. get a clue or ignore what i have to say.

I sympathise but at the same time denigrate this. I am by no means a 'noob twat' or a kid in reference to age or being a metal fan, and at the same time everyone deserves their opinion. However, you are correct because every post on here is subjective and you are duly entitled to your opinion. There's no way that any of this music is as boring as cannibal corpse! :Spin:

yeh as soon as i saw 5ive i thought.. well, now this thread actually has turned into a joke..

Anyway, I'll reccomend this album, just because I'm listening to it:

Borknagar - Quintessence

Borknagar_Quintessence_tn.png

The fourth offering from the band that stemmed away from the roots of trve Norwegian Black Metal of the time, this Album is both intricately tight and beautifully morbid. With a pefect level of obscure complexity, the melodies fight through the obvious heavy black metal influences, comprimising folkish poly-rhythms and heavy bass lines. I.C.S Vortex provides a perfect balance of clean and grim vocals, examples sought in contrast of the tracks "Rivalry of Phantoms", and the clean "Colussus". These vocal styles are also interwoven in brilliance on "The Presence is Ominous", with triple-layered vocals dominant. Two instrumental tracks are offered; "Inner Landscape" performed by keys and drums, and the atmosphere created through the guitar-based "Embers" leads perfectly into the closing track "Revolt", which combines all the earlier mentioned elements into one final track. Though this may not be Borknagar's greatest offering, it further instates the true diversity of the metal genre.

I did start off trying to talk utter shit, but alot of that is actually true, IMO.

yeh heres me not noticing theres a 3rd page.. posting in reply to something said way back yonder.. they say i'm slow.. ayyy

btw, ill second Psycroptic. top notch aussie metal. good live show, too.

Agalloch-The Mantle

atmospheric, progressive, folk metal

B00006FSST.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

very depressing, and cold atmosphere. if your in a really hyper mood listen to something else.

Iced Earth-Burnt Offerings

Thrash with some creative acoustic passages thrown in...great metal singer in matthew barlow..get it if not only for 'dante's inferno'

fullburnt.jpg

Strapping Young Lad - SYL

brutal drums and brutal rhythym, but technically proficient...devin townsend and gene hoglan take center stage...songs are relatively short but chock full of fun fast riffs and headbanging ferocity

B000083MGY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Oh yeah and

annt said:
Anathema - Judgement
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Emperor - IX Equilibrium
King Diamond - Voodoo
Pain of Salvation - all albums
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Tool - Lateralus (does this count as metal?)
Sentenced - North From Here, definitely!

Sounds much more enticing to me than

NineFeetUnderground said:
abigor - nachthymnen
schaliach - sonrise
mefisto - the puzzle
enslaved - eld

to be honest. I haven't heard of all the bands, but I like all of the bands from the first list more than Enslaved, and I don't even really like Pantera :)
But I'd happily give all the bands a listen, and I like that new Arch Enemy CD, but I've only listened to it about 4 times. Which is 3 more times than Enslaved. Sorry.

Mr. Josey Wales said:
Iced Earth-Burnt Offerings

Thrash with some creative acoustic passages thrown in...great metal singer in matthew barlow..get it if not only for 'dante's inferno'

fullburnt.jpg

Nice. IE. Burnt Offerings was one of my faves for a long time. Back in my pre-Opeth days. Dante's Inferno is good, as is Last December.

vampyrouss said:
Have you even heard them?

They are referring to the fact that 5ive was the name of a fairly successful boyband in the late 90's. Which someone actually posted a picture of in this thread.

I suppose I'll recommend something later because I don't have time to think about it and write it up right now.

vampyrouss said:
Have you even heard them?

i meant in the sense of seeing 5ive.. initial response was to think of the boy band.. as i should have pointed out, i went on to read your thread and find out you were talking about an actual band..

:wave:

edit: guess i shouldve read that last post which already said what i wanted to say before saying what i wanted to say.

CAIRATH said:
They are referring to the fact that 5ive was the name of a fairly successful boyband in the late 90's. Which someone actually posted a picture of in this thread.

Yeah, I remember the boy band. I think the band had to change their name to 5ive's Continuum Research Project or something, or they did to stop people getting confused, but when I saw them this time last year they were called 5ive on the leaflets and stuff, so I have no idea. But yeah, as far as you can get from the pop band 5ive!

Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
182140.jpg

One of the more accessible Neurosis albums (the latest one, The Eye of Every Storm is pretty accessible too). Slow, repetitive, creeping, crushing music. It's very hard to describe why their music is pleasant to listen to but the soundscapes they create have a very unique atmosphere to them with a lot of tribal drumming and repetitive slow riffs that slowly build up and subside to make place for beautiful quiet passages. With two vocalists who both have great voices (both "screaming" and clean vocals). Genre? Fuck if I know. Similar bands would be Isis and Pelican if that helps narrow it down any.

Madder Mortem - All Flesh Is Grass
maddermortem_cover1.JPG

A female fronted metal band who does not sound like what you'd expect when you hear "female fronted metal band". Crushingly heavy, mostly slow to mid-tempo guitar riffs with great melodies and a vocalist who does not have to rely on cheesy operatics or vocal processing to sound like someone you do not want to get into a fight with. She really has a great vocal range, with the ability to sing beautifully as well as ferociously (but no growling). Great band if you're in the mood for female fronted metal that sounds like it could actually kick your ass.

vampyrouss said:
Oh yeah and

Sounds much more enticing to me than

to be honest. I haven't heard of all the bands, but I like all of the bands from the first list more than Enslaved, and I don't even really like Pantera :)
But I'd happily give all the bands a listen, and I like that new Arch Enemy CD, but I've only listened to it about 4 times. Which is 3 more times than Enslaved. Sorry.

well, thats certainly your loss, and your stupidity getting in the way of your tastes maturing. But its frankly exactly what id expect from a dimmu borgir fan.