The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

Sorrow,

sorrow.jpg

Which is from 1994 too I think.

So you should like 'Tears Laid In Earth'. They changed their style completely after these albums, but it is still worth listening to, for example 'In This Room' is great. I don't realy like 'Memoirs'.

I'm definatly going to try and find 'Tears Laid In Earth' then! I'll probably get the others anyway, just because I like collecting discographies of bands!

Procella said:
So you should like 'Tears Laid In Earth'. They changed their style completely after these albums, but it is still worth listening to, for example 'In This Room' is great. I don't realy like 'Memoirs'.
I agree. Great band. I have "Sorrow", "Tears Laid In Earth", "Nightswan", "Painting On Glass" and "In This Room". I've heard "Memoirs" and I think it's ok, but I like the older ones better. My favorite is "Painting On Glass", but "Tears Laid In Earth" comes in on a very close second place.

I'm gunna go ahead and make some recommendations for some Aussie bands:

Dungeon - A Rise To Power

dungeon-risetopower.jpg

^the original cover.. the one I have

Its melodic metal, no doubt…very good melodic metal. The album features a tough production sound, tight mix and some great vocals mixed with a powerful rhythm section and a mix of heavy shredding and riffing. Well worthy of investigation. In the vein of Maiden, Priest, etc.

from www.melodicrock.com

Synthetic Breed - Fractured

CD_cover.jpg

Psychotic blasts of biomechanical fury, pulsing polyrhythms and metronomic precision are the signature sounds of Synthetic Breed, a Melbourne-based five piece Metal band.

Synthetic Breed’s newest EP titled 'Fractured' is now available, displaying some of the heaviest contemporary music. The band is currently playing live around Melbourne and interstate, with plans to take the show overseas. Synthetic Breed hope to release a debut full-feature album under a label in the very near future.

The Breed's songs demonstrate an extensive knowledge of the metal genre, composed by the cream of local Australian talent; while also exposing some of the most talented players on the scene today

from www.sinister.com.au

(I mainly included this one because the Bassist was my German teacher this year.)

meh.. i cant be arsed.. not particularly my own opinions, i suppose, i just copied th reviews.. you can be bothered thinking for themself in this day and age?

I think he did work on it too, he's credited at least on the "Ravendusk In My Heart" booklet as doing the following:

Captured on tape at Unisound Studios during September 1995
Produced by Dan Swanæ and Diabolical Masquerade
Mixed and engineered by Dan Swanæ
Mastered at Cutting Room by Peter in de Betou

Albumcover "Demoncatch" by Mala
Additional photos by Mala and Tati S.
Diabolical Masquerade logo by Blackheim

All music, lyrics and concepts written between 1993-95
Performed by Diabolical Masquerade

Diabolical Masquerade are:
Blackheim - Eletric and acoustic lead/rythm guitars, bassguitar,
drums/percussion, keyboards/fx and vocals (except the Heavy Metal vocals on
"Under the Banner of the Sentinel" by Dan Swanæ)
The Spirits - Unearthly Presence

He did do stuff on Death's Design (infact it's the first album where he is considered an actual member of the "band" instead of just a session member). I still would consider it mainly a Blakkheim project though.

NineFeetUnderground said:
dimmy burger
:lol:

rec: Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
conspiracyinmind.jpg

new band, debut release. your average metal, every song heavy. what makes them stand out is that their lyrics are great, and the songs are very well done. 8/10

Now playing:

Moonlapse said:
cover-sol-big.jpg

This album is pretty much 'the shit' and paramount of the whole Meshuggah style. Fredrik Thordendal took some time out and collaborated with a variety of great musicians, so what you hear is a mixture of neo-psychadelia, jazz fusion, rhythmic thrash metal etc. Lyrics are excerpts from various texts, or quotes from various people, all relating to a common zero-ground on which they all saw eye to eye on. Fantastic album. Still in my Top 3 of all time.

This does indeed rule. Not in my personal top 3 though. To think of it, it would probably be Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts, Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante and Jethro Tull - A Passion Play... Might be different if asked some other time though.

edit: Oh! change "A Passion Play" to Tool - Lateralus!

annt said:
I thought DM was Blakkheim's project?

Yeah but that particular album was about 50% Swano and 50% blakkie. Like, I'm pretty sure the riffs are all Anders but Dan did the bulk of the structuring I believe and the fat transitions with keys. So for someone looking for Swano related stuff it's definitely relevant. The albums preceding Death's Design are definitely pure Anders.

I've just finished listening to the albums I bought today. One is something which everybody here probably knows - My Dying Bride 'The Angel And The Dark River' (black digipack version with 4 bonus tracks!), so I will recommend you the other CD - it's 'Volven' by Hagalaz'Runedance.

volven.jpg

Great music, though completely non-metal. Pagan folk. Wonderful atmosphere, beautiful melodies, fascinating Andrea Haugen's vocals. Check it out!!!

-Vintersorg- said:
I'm gunna go ahead and make some recommendations for some Aussie bands:

Dungeon - A Rise To Power

dungeon-risetopower.jpg

^the original cover.. the one I have

That is one of the lamest album covers I have ever seen.

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante, once again :worship:
And yeah, if anyone can get into that album, try "Adult Themes For Voice" by Mike Patton, I dare you! :headbang:

Dark Lunacy - Forget Me Not

dark.jpg

Dark Lunacy describe themselves as dramatic death metal and by listening to this album I tend to agree. The album is full of heavy riffs, plenty of death growls, double kicking and the use of a range of orchestral instruments giving the album a different, yet very depressive sound. The album ranges from standard metal tracks to encompassing progressive tunes and there is plenty of quality music on this album to enjoy. This album has become one of my favourites and I can't understand how so many metal heads haven't heard of it yet. Don't put this album down to just another death cd, because it isn't. While there are a lot of quality albums being reviewed in this post, I believe this record is a lot better than most. If you don't believe me, download the track "Lunacyrcus" - the first time I heard it, it slayed me. Awesome band. :headbang: