The "Recommend Music" Thread

Vanishing Point - "Embrace the Silence"
An australian melodic metal band (closest genres would be prog and power). Fantastic vocalist, well written (not wanky prog ;-)), emotional, melodic, and powerful. It's a long album (80min), plenty of variation from heavy to accoustic/piano ballads. 5/5 :)

Charon - The Dying Daylights
Gothic Metal.

Deadsoul Tribe - The January Tree
Prog Metal/Rock

Winds - Prominence And Demise [2007]

Didn't actually like the last album very much (it wasn't bad) but I think this one sounds better and I also think the sound on this album is heavier (production probably). I'll take a guess that many of you people will like it a lot. It will probably grow on me after a few more listenings.
And I still don't like the singer :p

I'll have to give this 3,5/5 right now but it will probably be higher after 2 weeks or so.

Transatlantic - SMPTe and Bridge Across Forever.
i think this albums are really good but.... Marillion is better ;)

Didn't actually like the last album very much (it wasn't bad) but I think this one sounds better and I also think the sound on this album is heavier (production probably). I'll take a guess that many of you people will like it a lot. It will probably grow on me after a few more listenings.

I'll have to give this 3,5/5 right now but it will probably be higher after 2 weeks or so.

Hmm yeh the singer isnt all that great. I didnt even know this was out yet.

how did you hear that? :OMG: thought it wouldnt be out until later this year. rush rush towards omega :D

Hope you like it. Tis quickly becoming one among my five favourite albums of all time!

Well, I listened to it more today. I think it's pretty cool, although alot of it is the same tempo throughout the record, so it starts to get a little "same-y" by the end of it. Cool, epic stuff though. The production is pretty nice, although I only d/led a promo. I'm gonna buy their cd though, for pretty much the first song, and to see if that breathiness of the compression on the drums goes away on the real cd...

:zombie:

well actually i would have to admit i prefer Age of Silence over Winds other 2 discs. lets see about this one :)

Dan, your voice is fucking brutal on the song "The Grand Design" It sounds a lot better than on the Threshold album!

We need a new death metal project :)

Cult Of Luna - Salvation [2004]

One of the best atmospheric hardcore albums ever. Long drawn out songs that start slow and grow into heavy endings. They do not feel stale or repetitive. Some people say they are Isis rip-offs, but honestly I listen to Isis as well and I think they are very different. Also a lot better then Neurosis in my opinion.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:d9fwxqqsldae

I would definitely give this album a 5/5

Orphaned Land - Mabool

If you haven't heard this album, give yourself a huge favor and get it. One of the best musical achievements I heard. The album tells the story of the "Biblical" flood and these guys use a lot of unique and native instruments. These guys are from Israel so the music is highly inspired by that region's traditional music.

6/5 ^____^

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=5711

good review

Vanishing Point - "Embrace the Silence"
An australian melodic metal band (closest genres would be prog and power). Fantastic vocalist, well written (not wanky prog ;-)), emotional, melodic, and powerful. It's a long album (80min), plenty of variation from heavy to accoustic/piano ballads. 5/5 :)

They're from Melbourne I believe. Got to see them live supporting Dragonforce. They owned Dragonforce thoroughly! Had a chat to the singer afterwards as well :kickass:

They're from Melbourne I believe. Got to see them live supporting Dragonforce. They owned Dragonforce thoroughly! Had a chat to the singer afterwards as well :kickass:

Spot on, they're an awesome live band! Shame about their set at Dragonforce being so small (it was 30 min or less in Sydney :mad: ). Nice guys too. Their new album's pretty bloody good too :)

I suppose i'll just put down a couple of my favorite albums so far this year, which is a lot easier.....

Deathspell Omega-Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum One of the scariest, most original pure black metal albums I have ever heard. Fucking gold.

Nocturnal Rites-8th Sin
Melodic, Catchy, Heavy, well produced. A great "metal" album

Gorefest-Rise to Ruin
Heavy, Simple, Brutal, Catchy, amazing Death-ish metal. The Dutch Masters, hands down.

Naked Lunch-This Atom Heart of Ours
Mellow, depressive, elecrto-guitar pop.

When-Trippy Happy
A headfuck of electronica meets the beatles?

Obviously Nightingale is in there too, as well as a few others that I cant think of now.....

If you like pop-ish heavy metal... one of my favorite bands ever is Sentenced.

Frozen, Crimson, the Cold White Light, and the Funeral Album... I think they're probably the most underrated band in heavy metal. Singer has sort of a vaguely James Hetfield voice.

pop-ish :D
Actually I wonder why you call them underrated, or maybe it depends on the country. In most European countries, they have always been one of the most "cult" (but not in the sense of selling 3 records per year, more from the incredibly devoted followers) bands_ever. Pretty much everyone seems to know them. Sentenced are awesome :cool:

[this is OT, but I have noticed there has been a lot of material posted here recently... I just haven´t had much time to check it out yet, so participation in other threads is_coming...]

Recommendation:
just found this solo-project of the Green Carnation-bassist, very, very, nice: Sordal
It is a bit folk-ish, quiet, peaceful, lots of guitar..;)