The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

I saw a cd with the title "Ayreon". It had several different artists work on it, or so the cover leads you to believe, and one of those artists was Mikael. What is this all about? I am surprised I haven't heard of it yet.

Psycroptipath said:
Its about taste, not which album is better

exactly...thus why i commented. :Smug:

and as for skill...that has nothing to do with it. i just cant imagine having such ordinary and generic heavy metal as my alltime favorite albums. at least have some important metal be your favorite if thats going to be the case. but bloodbath and amon amarth do NOTHING that dozens of other bands dont do 50 times better. FACT

4183.jpg

I recommend this album, because it's good, and Ayr told me to.

edit: btw, it's called ödermarkens son.

These are for the oh so sophisticated NFU:
Nocte Obducta - "Nektar I & II" - Avantgarde Black Metal, to me these guys are BM's Opeth.
Lunar Aurora - "Mond" - Black Metal, genuinely icy and uncompromising.
Ulver - "Blood Inside" - no comment, just totally way out.. ulverific!

These are for the 'Commonalty' ;) :
Disillusion - "Back To Times Of Splendor" - Melodic Prog-Death, innovative, epical, captivating (once you get used to the fact that the singer sounds like SOAD). The title track has one of the best violin themes and opening riffs EVER!
Dark Suns - "Existence" - Melancholic Prog-Metal, like a darker Pain Of Salvation. Takes quite some time to grow, but it's well worth it.
Volbeat - "The Strentgh, The Sound, The Songs" - Elvis-Metal, crazy shit, but I love it! :D
Anathema - "A Fine Day To Exit" - My all time favourite, and to all the people who complain about it being too pop or too Pink Floyd, bla, bla: eat me! :loco:

soundave said:
@NFU: You've recommended so many great prog albums, and I know you've said, what, 98% of metal is retarded. So, is there a metal album you'll recommend to show us all the light which we all are so obviously not seeing? Or are you gonna keep that info to yourself?

You always seemed so open-minded and positive before. What gives?:erk:

Totally agree man, you have to RECOMMEND albums, just like one dude said here, don't like it? don't listen, tell us what you would recommend or...do you even listen to music??

Well i really don't know what i should recommend. Last friday I went to see The Haunted and God Forbid, i alreade listened to some of god forbid - IV Constitution of Treason and some of the songs are not that bad
B000AA4LIC.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

But then i saw the haunted and ow man...they kicked some arses in there. I listened to their last album, Revolver and also a classic from the haunted, i think, Made Me Do It. If you are into some trash meets ... death? well its agressive and you can headbang the entire album:headbang:
the_haunted_revolver.jpg

69_1.jpg

And i really recommend Amon Amarth - Fate Of Norns and Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor. Two great albums, listen to them a lot. I really like the lyrics from amon amarth, im dutch but im interested in the norse mythology, and nevermore...well cant say much about that album but its great. Great riffs, great tracks...great album! the title track is on helluva track! :headbang:
B0002TY2HQ.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
5051099751088.jpg

:headbang:

The Haunted is pretty much the only Thrash I listen to!
I would say the first 2 albums are their best, I didn't like One Kill Wonder or rEVOLVEr so much. Any Nevermore album does it for me! They are consistantly excellent, much like Opeth!

By the way, I'm guessing The Haunted don't play much off their middle 2 albums live do they? I would love to hear what Dolving sounds like doing those songs though, but I guess they play a lot off the self titled and new one right?

i guess this was their setlist, couldn't find the one in holland but this was from the same tour, but in the states
No Compromise
Nothing Right
In Vein
Abysmal
Trespass
Hate Song
All Against All
Dark Intentions
Bury Your Dead
All the songs are from their self-titled album or the new one, except dark intentions
And about Dolving...dude, that guy WAS haunted, don't know what it was but he looked like he was going to kill/rape/punch someone in the audience. Awesome show, awesome music. But his vocals were great, he could scream like a posessed one:).
I've listened a lot to the haunted and its good trash. Indeed their first album is great. And like recommended before, Made Me Do It, also great

This Godless Endeavor is the only album i have from Nevermore, what would you recommend besides TGE?

I personally love Dreaming Neon Black... but probably Enemies Of Reality is a lot like the new one... but I don't think you'd be disappointed by any of their albums! Maybe Dead Heart In A Dead World, but I like what I have heard from that album, it just seems like the album that everyone dislikes most in their discography.

Yeah, didn't think they'd play anything off One Kill Wonder... hahaha. But I guess that was still the rEVOLVEr tour wasn't it? So obviously a lot off that album. I would have expected more off Made Me Do It, like Hollow Ground, that would be great with his vocals, and The World Burns... and well, any of those songs!!

I loved Dark Intentions as a set opener, but I guess its their encore opener now...

I haven't heard all of it, but why do you think so many people are against that album? I have heard Insignificant, Believe In Nothing and another one and they all sounded cool to me.

vampyrouss said:
I haven't heard all of it, but why do you think so many people are against that album? I have heard Insignificant, Believe In Nothing and another one and they all sounded cool to me.

Dunno, It has some of their best writtern songs. A lot of the songs are quite catchy (such as the single 'Believe in Nothing') maybe people think that makes it more commercial or mainstream. It rocks hard anyway...

TonysApprentices said:
Totally agree man, you have to RECOMMEND albums, just like one dude said here, don't like it? don't listen, tell us what you would recommend or...do you even listen to music?

of course i listen to music. i have forgotten more music than youll ever hope to know in your lifetime. regardless...i already did suggest a handful of metal albums, i guess you just werent paying attention. but for those who want some more, heres a couple other suggestions...

Resurrection - Embalmed Existence
Evoken - Antithesis Of Light
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Bethlehem - Suizid
Dawn - Slaughtersun

all of those are tier 1 metal albums that if you dont like, you probably have no business listening to the genre.

NineFeetUnderground said:
all of those are tier 1 metal albums that if you dont like, you probably have no business listening to the genre.
:lol: am i the only one who finds this slightly off-tilt? not that any of your recommendations aren't good. but please, don't act like your opinions are the 10 commandments.

Silent Song said:
:lol: am i the only one who finds this slightly off-tilt? not that any of your recommendations aren't good. but please, don't act like your opinions are the 10 commandments.

but theyre close. if you knew how many people thanked me on a daily basis for showing them amazing bands and helping change their spectrum on music...youd s-right-tfu.

i put that to insist that i wasnt wasting anyones time...that theyd be doing themselves a FAVOR for looking into those albums.