The Recommendations Thread

For a couple of fusion recomendations...

7 for 4
Karcius

The 7 for 4 is Wolfgang Zenk from Seige Even new project...

Recommend me the saxophone.

This is a bit more of a challenging request.
Foreigner - Urgent.
Solefald - Sun I Call.
Dream Theater - Another Day.
Ulver - anything on Perdition City.
Dave Mathews Band - All Along The Watchtower (live).
The Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities, Cascade.

If you know these songs, I want stuff like this. Rock/Metal/Electronic with kickass Saxophone.

Saxophone in particular or just that jazzy brass sound?
I'm thinking Scupltured's The Spear of the Lily is Aureoled, which I've been listening to lately. It has sections of brass splatted throughout, although they're generally only short sections.
Grab Almond Beauty & Her Silence.

some other fusion recommendations

Return to Forever-Whre Have i Known you Before
CAB 2 or CAB 4 (McAlpine's best work)
Ohm-s/t
Bruford-One of a Kind
Cosmosquad-s/t
The Dregs-Night of the Living Dregs
Garsed/Helmerich/Chambers etc-Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
Soft Machine-Bundles
Howe/Wooten/Chambers-Extraction
Allan Holdsworth-16 Men of Tain
Hellborg/Lane-Personae
Mahavishnu Orchestra-Inner Mounting Flame
Niacin-Deep

Did you hear there is a new uncle moes space ranch coming out around may? I can't wait for this! Is return to forever good? I like chick choreas solo stuff but I have never heard this before.

Garsed/Helmerich/Chambers etc-Uncle Moe's Space Ranch

Besides a few songs I thought that album was meh...... :erk:

Exraction has caught my interest though... I might be checking that out.

CAB is great fusion but for MacAlpine's best work I reccomend Edge of Insanity, Maximum Security, and Chromaticity... that's his best neo classical work and his playing on Live From Oz is insane too.

Can someone reccomend me some Holdsworth that is more accesible than Metal Fatigue? I think there's some interesting stuff on the album (eg: The Un-Merry-Go-Round) and songs like In The Mystery and Metal Fatigue are catchy, but not enough to make me want to spend $16+ on it.... his phrasing on Heavy Machinery is possibly the best I've ever heard so I want to hear more of him.

Is return to forever good? I like chick choreas solo stuff but I have never heard this before.

Romantic Warrrior is highly reccomended, that is an all time fusion classic, plus the songs are really catchy/accesible. Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy is a great one too.

Romantic Warrrior is highly reccomended, that is an all time fusion classic, plus the songs are really catchy/accesible. Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy is a great one too.

That is my favorite...

A New Uncle Moe's Space Ranch coming out is great news!

I need to break out their first disc again....

Some of the Holdsworth stuff I like is when he played with Tony Williams in his LIFETIME band....

Sony Remastered the two albums Believe it and Million Dollar Legs and put them on a single disc called Lifetime: The Collection...

The best Holdsworth albums are

Hard Hat Area
16 Men of Tain
All Night Wrong
None too Soon
Bruford-One of a Kind

+1 for the Tony Williams recommendation....Million Dollar Legs sucked but Believe It is a classic.

Anyone looking to expand their taste into brutal, technical death metal should check out Skinless. Fucking awesome.