'The Roundhouse Tapes' DVD audio: fucked or not?

Does your copy of TRT yield any problems like those I've describ ed

• No

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

ReverieUnfold

Psychotropeth
Jun 17, 2008
I received my limited edition copy of The Roundhouse Tapes DVD today. While the epic package mesmerizes, I was dismayed to find upon watching on a MacBook and listening with headphones that the volume levels of the audio recording itself fluctuate pretty badly throughout most of the show. While evident through computer speakers, the defect is not as clear without headphones. Is there something defective about my copy, or is this a true mixing/mastering error? It makes listening sort of like a seizure. Has anyone else noticed this with or without headphones? I'd appreciate anyone taking listens for this with headphones, especially if you haven't noticed anything before.

Worst case (if my copy is defective), I'll buy a regular copy whose disc I'll replace this one with; I doubt there's any difference in discs between the editions so I'd feel as if my limited one was still 'complete'.

I have a stereo system and turned audio option from the dvd to stereo (of course). I didn't notice anything wrong there.

I received my limited edition copy of The Roundhouse Tapes DVD today. While the epic package mesmerizes, I was dismayed to find upon watching on a MacBook and listening with headphones that the volume levels of the audio recording itself fluctuate pretty badly throughout most of the show. While evident through computer speakers, the defect is not as clear without headphones. Is there something defective about my copy, or is this a true mixing/mastering error? It makes listening sort of like a seizure. Has anyone else noticed this with or without headphones? I'd appreciate anyone taking listens for this with headphones, especially if you haven't noticed anything before.

Worst case (if my copy is defective), I'll buy a regular copy whose disc I'll replace this one with; I doubt there's any difference in discs between the editions so I'd feel as if my limited one was still 'complete'.

That is your problem...

yo man im noticing that right now!!! im so bummed

i tried switching it to dolby surround sound and its better...but then randomly it just cut back out again...what the fuck is going on!

I picked up my copy of the Deluxe version today and i've encountered the same sound problems. It's especially pronounced when the heavy parts of the songs transition to the light parts and vice versa. The mellow parts are heaps louder than the heavy parts. An annoying problem that tarnishes an otherwise awesome release.

I noticed some songs (like Under the Weeping Moon) were (overall) slightly louder than others but it was acceptable. The problems you describe seem to result from kind of a compressor, I guess.

Make sure you guys check for any dynamic volume range control options in whatever DVD player [software] you're using and disable it.

Got my copy yesterday and noticed the same problems. I listened to the Stereo setting with my headphones and the sound volume increases and decreases throughout the songs; the same with the Dolby 4.0 setting. Only the DTS track sounds right, maybe because it is louder. I'm pretty confused about this. :confused:

I've noticed it on my Macbook as well through headphones, as well as external speakers. Going to try it out on the 5.1 system upstairs and see if I still experience the same. A bit strange if the stereo tracks weren't mastered properly for the DVD :\