'The Roundhouse Tapes' DVD audio: fucked or not?

Does your copy of TRT yield any problems like those I've describ ed

• No

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
holy shit.. thank you whoever said "any dynamic volume range control!" fixed the problem instantly!

i swear.. i saw 3 people in this thread have problems on their mac laptops.. here i am having the same problem on my macbook pro! LMAO

luckely its not the mac! fools!

Unfortunately I don't seem to have the option to tweak the "dynamic volume range control"...Sigh...
I'll probably just put up with the fluctuations.

just played the dvd on vlc mediaplayer and its flawless.. thanks for the advice on changing the sound setting, couse that was the problem for me....by the way,, im so fakkking stupid not to think about that.. on the other hand a little sexy asswell

I used my vaio and there was a bit of fluctation but so far i'm putting that down to wiring because i damaged the speaker cables..not played it on anything else ye.t

False alarm. After turning off the Dynamic Range Control on my DVD-Player the sound is amazing.:worship:

the sound fluctuation happened on windows media player but not VLC media player.

Anyone know why some dvds are effected by this, while others were not?

A few years ago a blind guardian dvd did the same to me. But as far as i know no other dvd has, until the new opeth

Syncoper - what kind of computer are you using? Are you using a MacBook with the DVD Player program?

I've only just got around to watching my copy and I noticed this problem immediately, but like everyone says, switching the compression thingy off on the DVD Player program fixed it. It didn't occur to me because I've never had a problem with DVD sound before on my laptop, and normally I disable any kind of option like that which affects the actual sound, so I didn't even know such an option existed. The picture on mine was a bit jittery as well (not sure what's causing that) so I assumed there was some kind of problem with the whole film. I need to retract my vote...

As a rough guess, I might say that it affects the Opeth DVD and the one that Demigod mentioned because there's more of a fluctuation between levels with Opeth than there is on many DVD mixes for movies etc. Generally for TV and DVD everything is compressed quite flat, and the same for music also. With the compression on in this DVD, I found that when the heavy parts kicked it they had no impact because the compression made it quieter. That's actually something I've noticed on a lot of albums released in the past few years - there'll be a clean bit building up to a heavy bit, but when the heavy part kicks in it has much less power than it should because the whole thing is compressed to roughly the same level. The good thing about Opeth's mixes is that they still have some dynamic range - if you load the mp3 files into Pro Tools or something, you'll see that the quiet bits are actually quiet, whereas a lot of CDs these days just come out as a solid block. So, basically, I think it's a side effect of it actually being a good mix.

everyone with the problem, were they listening on a mac?

it seems the answer was yes. But im not sure?

one for mac here