The solution of the Edit/mtv problem?

The Edit of Grand Conjuration sucked...

I want to hear the edit of Ghost Of Perdition.. And also the Deliverance and The Drapery Falls Edits... But I don't know where to get a hold of em :(

well the edit of Deliverance fucking owns any other edit, but of course it's still a edit. and just cos we want the whole edit-thing to disappear deep into the ground, it won't. the issue is still there, RR probably won't back down on that one. so what I'm saying is that if they're gonna edit songs they shouldnt squeeze them together like with TGC and GOP, but rather do the "Deliverance" thing...

One is a classic video, it's fucking great. The long one, not the edited one :p
A dvd with full length videos for the fans to enjoy, I reckon that would be great.

I think if a band like Opeth is gonna go for a music video, it needs to be one of two extremes.
A) Opeth playing in a room, rocking out with cocks out, etc - it worked for Pantera with "Broken", and how cool is that video?

or B) the band NOT IN THE VIDEO AT ALL. This works for Tool, it cultivates this mystique for the band, and I think an original director with material like Opeth's could do an amazing job. I know a lot of folks got turned off to the whole idea of videos thanks to the TGC video (even Peter hated it!), but I really think that, done right, a video could not only be a great promotional tool but a great piece of art as well.

As to editing....(eh, I hate to keep using the comparison, but no one else releases 7+ minute videos) Opeth is not Tool yet. They just don't have the pull to make their label release a 14-minute uncut video, or even radio single for that matter. I think for the next few years we'll have to simply put up with chopped up Opeth songs. When (or if) the 'peths continue to grow in popularity and push CDs off the shelves, they'll be able to assert themselves more creatively in mainstream media outlets.

my $.02 :)

Sanzen said:
I think if a band like Opeth is gonna go for a music video, it needs to be one of two extremes.
A) Opeth playing in a room, rocking out with cocks out, etc - it worked for Pantera with "Broken", and how cool is that video?
This would not work with Opeth because Opeth is a band with a lot more serene moments in the songs than a band like Pantera where its full on more or less 100% of the time.

Nitronium Blood said:
This would not work with Opeth because Opeth is a band with a lot more serene moments in the songs than a band like Pantera where its full on more or less 100% of the time.

I'd prefer the other kind of video too. There's no need to show Opeth members because they just play and that's the show (not like other bands like slipknot, COF...more visual). I hope they won't have to edit more videos or songs in the future to be able to put them on the radio, or MTV.

Nitronium Blood said:

oh ok. Good to know it wouldn't work. God knows they didn't release AN ENTIRE DVD OF THEM JUST PLAYING.

blimey said:
there could be a peice of shit on screen while "Eternal Soul Torture" played.
Or a boot kicking an ass while The Moor played.

They should just make a live music video. That's what you do when you're in doubt.

Opeth music videos could only be an Opeth song playing over top of an episode of Family Guy.

They could at least edit them to 6 minutes instead of 3, even Metallica gets a 6-minute video. I say fuck MTV.

Oinkness said:
Opeth music videos could only be an Opeth song playing over top of an episode of Family Guy.
Thats true.
haha.jpg