The Sports Thread

I don't think A-Rod takes steroids.

Agreed. I would be honestly shocked if he turned out to be juiced. The guy is just a freak.

I'm glad the only "real" Yankee on the list was Andy Pettitte. I like him and everything, but I'm relieved that it's just him. Shit, if A-Rod or Jeter or Mo were on there, that'd be fucked up. If my boy Jorge was on there I'd jump off a building.

Anyway, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet and I don't feel like reading back through the thread, but funny how the report was put together by a former part owner of the Red Sox, and there seems to be a complete lack of current Red Sox named in the report. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only prominent player on that list who's remembered as being a Red Sox is Mo Vaughn.

There are few current players on the list in general. Many teams are not represented at present. But there are definitely other Red Sox there. Manny Alexander was implicated for when he was on the team. Mo Vaughn was a user during his time with the Mets. You should read the report.

Agreed. I would be honestly shocked if he turned out to be juiced. The guy is just a freak.

I'm glad the only "real" Yankee on the list was Andy Pettitte. I like him and everything, but I'm relieved that it's just him. Shit, if A-Rod or Jeter or Mo were on there, that'd be fucked up. If my boy Jorge was on there I'd jump off a building.

Anyway, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet and I don't feel like reading back through the thread, but funny how the report was put together by a former part owner of the Red Sox, and there seems to be a complete lack of current Red Sox named in the report. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only prominent player on that list who's remembered as being a Red Sox is Mo Vaughn.
So one player from each team? What are you complaining about? The Red Sox appear pretty clean seeing as none of their players had huge power surges or amazing comebacks. Mike Lowell's took two years of work and the friendly green monster, and David Ortiz had steadily increased until his 54 HR year.

Either the Niners are getting extremely lucky, or the Bengels really really really suck ass.

Mathiäs;6786201 said:
I may be wrong, but these last few years I could have sword that he looked bigger. I remember him being smaller when he was in Texas.

He was also bigger in '06 than he was in '07. He made no secret of the fact that he wanted to "bulk up" when he was traded to the Yankees, thinking that it would ne necessary to maintain the kind of power numbers he was putting up in Texas. It didn't work, so in '07 he came in noticably slimmer (lost about twelve pounds, I believe) and, obviously, his powers numbers shot back up.

The Red Sox appear pretty clean seeing as none of their players had huge power surges or amazing comebacks.

I don't really see how any of that is relevant. Pettite and Clemens didn't have any amazing comebacks. Neither did Ron Villone or Paul LoDuca or Brendan Donnelly. There is no "typical" steroid user, and there do not seem to be any hints that a guy is jucing. So far it seems that the only thing tying these guys together is the fact that they're ball players. It would seem that the whole notion "guys who do steroids are the big guys who hit homers and throw fireballs and come back quick from injuries".

If this whole report has told us anything it's that most of the steroid use on baseball is by guys just trying to stay on track for an entire season. The guys who are using steroids to become better ball players (Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, etc.) appear to be in the minority. Obviously cheating is still cheating, but there are degrees of cheating.

Yeah ok, apparently there is no such thing as natural talent

And besides, he's not in his prime. He's just having a spectacular year. And he isn't 40 yet.

Mathiäs;6788741 said:
Yeah ok, apparently there is no such thing as natural talent

And besides, he's not in his prime. He's just having a spectacular year. And he isn't 40 yet.

I wasn't talking about favre, look at testaverde i mean he isn't great but he's still throwing the ball, I mean 20 years ago there was no such thing

I don't really see how any of that is relevant. Pettite and Clemens didn't have any amazing comebacks. Neither did Ron Villone or Paul LoDuca or Brendan Donnelly. There is no "typical" steroid user, and there do not seem to be any hints that a guy is jucing. So far it seems that the only thing tying these guys together is the fact that they're ball players. It would seem that the whole notion "guys who do steroids are the big guys who hit homers and throw fireballs and come back quick from injuries".

If this whole report has told us anything it's that most of the steroid use on baseball is by guys just trying to stay on track for an entire season. The guys who are using steroids to become better ball players (Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, etc.) appear to be in the minority. Obviously cheating is still cheating, but there are degrees of cheating.
I would say all those guys played at a high level for longer than they otherwise could have.