The Sports Thread

I would say all those guys played at a high level for longer than they otherwise could have.

Uh, so you don't think Pettitte could have stuck around until 35 without HGH, yet Curt Schilling can pitch just fine into his 40s? Look, I'm NOT saying that Schilling is juiced (and I honestly doubt he is), what I am saying is that sterioids aren't the magic wonder drugs we've been made to think they are. What we should learn from the report is that anyone could be juiced.

You may very well be correct that all of those guys played longer than they naturally could have, but using that logic, you have to suspect just about everyone over 24.

Uh, so you don't think Pettitte could have stuck around until 35 without HGH, yet Curt Schilling can pitch just fine into his 40s? Look, I'm NOT saying that Schilling is juiced (and I honestly doubt he is), what I am saying is that sterioids aren't the magic wonder drugs we've been made to think they are. What we should learn from the report is that anyone could be juiced.

You may very well be correct that all of those guys played longer than they naturally could have, but using that logic, you have to suspect just about everyone over 24.
Honestly I was most surprised about Pettitte. Clemens was much more obvious though. I mean 45? Schilling has pitched as long as he has because he has changed from a power to a finesse pitcher. His velocity was definitely down. I think you are twisting what I am saying. the problem is that some guys can play at high levels for long periods of time, whereas others need drugs. If Pettitte took HGH that means he couldn't have pitched at that level as he increased in age. Why take the risk otherwise? As you said, HGH won't make you superman.

Pettitte claims to have taken HGH to recover from an injury twice in 2002, and that was the end of it. And at the time HGH was not banned in baseball. As far as I'm aware, Pettitte hasn't done anything necessarily to allow himself to pitch longer at his level of play.

Pettitte claims to have taken HGH to recover from an injury twice in 2002, and that was the end of it. And at the time HGH was not banned in baseball. As far as I'm aware, Pettitte hasn't done anything necessarily to allow himself to pitch longer at his level of play.
My bad then. Thanks for correcting me. As I said I was the most surprised to hear his name mentioned.

Honestly I was most surprised about Pettitte. Clemens was much more obvious though. I mean 45? Schilling has pitched as long as he has because he has changed from a power to a finesse pitcher. His velocity was definitely down. I think you are twisting what I am saying. the problem is that some guys can play at high levels for long periods of time, whereas others need drugs. If Pettitte took HGH that means he couldn't have pitched at that level as he increased in age. Why take the risk otherwise? As you said, HGH won't make you superman.

Ok, but it's not as if Clemens was still throwing gas at the end there. He, too, had changed his pitching style. Still, I don't see why style of play makes it any more or less obvious that a guy is / is not juiced. Again, the notion we all had that steroid users were the guys throwing 101mph and hitting 50+ homers a year has been proven wrong. I mean, Ron Villone isn't exactly a fireballer, Paul LoDuca isn't exactly a power hitter. I just don't see how, in light of the report, any one player can still be called "less likely" to be juiced.

I mean, there real serious juicers, you could always tell what they wwre up to, but it seems like the majority of these guys are just using drugs in small doses to help with recovery (still cheating, though, obviously).