The Sports Thread

Sometimes facts get in the way of being a homer.

I try not to be a homer, because I'm a journalism with an emphasis on sports writing, but it's just the facts. You know the strengths of the team you know the best and you think they can fix the weaknesses.

Fucking broke my toe, it hurts like hell and is turning bruised and red. This sucks because now I can't do judo for like 4 weeks, FUCK.

Did you read my last post? I tried to explain were I was coming from. Your stats were obviously valid and I agree. I think we can agree though that stats can be tricky and deceiving esp in baseball when relating to being clutch. Ex. hitting a 3 run hr when your already leading 7-2 as opposed to needing a 3 run homer late in a tie playoff game. Being clutch in the end is what I was talking about.

And that'd be fine if your original post had mentioned "clutch", and it did not. So there's the disconnect.

Either way, one could make the argument that producing at all in the playoffs is inherently "clutch", since each game is of the utmost importance, and you almost always face a tough pitcher in the playoffs. Anyway, there are stats that indicate if a player is "clutch", but I doubt I'll be able to find them, so I won't bother.

And obviously this isn't true in the playoff situation, but, statistically, A-Rod is more "clutch" than Papi. :p

I thought a "homer" was somebody who always rooted for the home team no matter what. So what if a guy in Alaska roots for a team in Nebraska? Is he a homer, are you retarded, or both? I live in NJ and I root for a team in western Pennsylvania tbh.

I thought a "homer" was somebody who always rooted for the home team no matter what. So what if a guy in Alaska roots for a team in Nebraska? Is he a homer, are you retarded, or both? I live in NJ and I root for a team in western Pennsylvania tbh.

A homer is when you think that your team is better than they are, and you always favor your team to win. It just gets the term homer due to the typical fan rooting for their hometown team.

I agree if the Jays continue to be stupid with their free agent signings. They just resigned Rios though so that's one good move.

They have the pieces this year to to something. They have Crawford, Carlos Pena, and that prospect Even Longoria is supposed to be the next super star. If they can get some kind of pitching outside of Scott Kazmir, 80 wins is definitely a possibility. If they didn't play in the east, they might have a chance at 90.

I don't know if anyone cares, but Shaq is about to get traded to the Suns.

As a Mavs fan, I'm absolutely ecstatic. They lose one of their best and most crucial players in Marion and they get a square peg in their round hole of an offense. How stupid can you be with this trade? Can Shaq even run anymore?

I agree if the Jays continue to be stupid with their free agent signings. They just resigned Rios though so that's one good move.

They have the pieces this year to to something. They have Crawford, Carlos Pena, and that prospect Even Longoria is supposed to be the next super star. If they can get some kind of pitching outside of Scott Kazmir, 80 wins is definitely a possibility. If they didn't play in the east, they might have a chance at 90.

Exactly. That Rays outfield (Crawford, Upton, Young) is going to be sick in a year or two- if not this year.

And it doesn't hurt that the Orioles are going to suck absolute dick this year. More so than usual. Last place, easy.

A homer is the extreme end of fandom for one team. Unable to objectively look at anything without bringing up their favorite team, or always comparing to their team to others; e.g. muzmaze.

I don't think it has anything to do with geography.

it looks like Switzerland is going to lose. which is a shame, because having lived in switzerland for the past 6 years and now living in england I'd be able to poke fun at everyone around me while actually NOT GIVING A FUCK.

A homer is the extreme end of fandom for one team. Unable to objectively look at anything without bringing up their favorite team, or always comparing to their team to others; e.g. muzmaze.

I don't think it has anything to do with geography.

Not true. Always trying to be objective and even when I make a point good, bad or indifferent, I'll often mention respect for opposing players or teams even if I don't like them, others here never do that. The other stuff you mentioned is what we all do naturally as a fan when having discussions.

And that'd be fine if your original post had mentioned "clutch", and it did not. So there's the disconnect.

Either way, one could make the argument that producing at all in the playoffs is inherently "clutch", since each game is of the utmost importance, and you almost always face a tough pitcher in the playoffs. Anyway, there are stats that indicate if a player is "clutch", but I doubt I'll be able to find them, so I won't bother.

And obviously this isn't true in the playoff situation, but, statistically, A-Rod is more "clutch" than Papi. :p

Thats cool.:)
Pick your poison with either player. The best all around productive player and one of the best clutch-playoff hitters.