The Sports Thread

Fuck all this baseball talk, Hockey playoffs is where it is at right now.

Congrats to the Ducks defenceman who scored both goals for Detroit!

Make your predictions now: Detroit in 6, Ottawa in 7. Go Wings!

I hate the Ottawa Senators...but it wouldn't surprise me if they beat Buffalo. Last year, a month before the season I predicted Buffalo was going to win the Cup, but this year I felt they were rather inconsistent at times so its hard for me to pick them this year. Though it wasn't hard to forsee these two in the conference finals...given the fact that they are the only really good teams in the east.

And I thought Anaheim would have beaten Detroit today...guess not. I predicted Anaheim was going to win the series but whoever wins, I don't really care that much.

all this baseball talk... i have a question as a person from outside of the US.

Why the fuck would you call a competition the World Series when teams from one country compete??

That is seriously one of the most laughed at things here in Asutralia. It's ridiculous. It makes the USA look like one giant big arrogant arsehole.

Any cricket watchers here? Especially from England. So I can boast about our 5-0 walloping of your pathetic excuse for a cricket team in the Ashes! You guys better have loved every second of that 18 months you had 'em coz they won't be coming back anytime soon!

And on cricket, any opinions on the World Cup (whoa... played between different countries!!!)? Big disappointment for me, despite Australia clinching it again. The final was an absolute farce.

Any cricket watchers here? Especially from England. So I can boast about our 5-0 walloping of your pathetic excuse for a cricket team in the Ashes! You guys better have loved every second of that 18 months you had 'em coz they won't be coming back anytime soon!

Not that I watch cricket but :lol:

Why the fuck would you call a competition the World Series when teams from one country compete??

That is seriously one of the most laughed at things here in Asutralia. It's ridiculous. It makes the USA look like one giant big arrogant arsehole.
Hey...A team from Canada competes for the World Series. It's international. Besides, the term was coined in like 1905, when the US was the only country to have baseball, so the term was apt at the time. Also, baseball players come from probably about two dozen countries, so it is international in that sense.

I like boxing, but I prefer MMA (not necessarily UFC) but Pride was better when it was going.

Apparently boxer Kermit Cintron volunteered himself to UFC to fight a MMA fighter, in light of all the Mayweather comments to MMA. I highly doubt Mayweather would ever set foot in a cage, he would get absolutely destroyed.

I don't really like to see people from each sport fighting each other. It's really 2 different sports. Boxers won't really be any good at MMA unless they can knock out the guy before he takes them down. On the ground they would barely know how to defend themselves and probably lose very fast.

And the other way around very few MMA guy could win any boxing match. If you take away their kicking and floor skills it's really taking away some of the things they do.

Personnaly I higly prefer boxing...I was never able to really get into the whole MMA thing.

Good God. If you Australians are really that offended, you people need to get a life and maybe grow some fucking balls. It's just that name of a sports championship.

MLB is not even an American thing. The teams are mostly based here, but it is largely an international sport. About one third of the players in MLB are from outside the United States. They come from Japan, Venezuela, The Domincan Republic, Taiwan, Cuba... just to name a few. The best players in the world play here. That's why baseball was cut from the Olympics- because MLB players could not participate.

Another thing, maybe it wouldn't have to be called the World Series if someone would put together a league worthy of competing with MLB. The only one that comes close is the Japan League, and everyone knows that it is inferior. All of their best players come. Really, if Australians are that upset that it's called the world series, maybe you should, I don't know, put together a baseball program that isn't a fucking joke conpared to MLB (which actually has Australians playing, by the way).

Why the fuck do you people care what we call the championship of a sport you don't even seem to care about?

I don't really like to see people from each sport fighting each other. It's really 2 different sports. Boxers won't really be any good at MMA unless they can knock out the guy before he takes them down. On the ground they would barely know how to defend themselves and probably lose very fast.

And the other way around very few MMA guy could win any boxing match. If you take away their kicking and floor skills it's really taking away some of the things they do.

Personnaly I higly prefer boxing...I was never able to really get into the whole MMA thing.

Yes that's true, but the thing is, a lot of boxers say they are the best fighters in the world, like Mayweather does and he previously said some rather stupid remarks in regards to MMA. But how can they be the best when they're fighting with only one discipline. MMA is the closest thing you will get to determining who the best fighters really are.

The only thing I dislike about MMA is the UFC, as in Dana White and co. They are basically turning a real fighting sport into a 'show' with all kinds of theatrics and everything geered towards entertainment, like the WWE.

This quote automatically coins you and all other aussies that share your opinion a bunch illiterate, incompetent, stupid faggots who basically have no idea what they're talking about.

Good God. If you Australians are really that offended, you people need to get a life and maybe grow some fucking balls. It's just that name of a sports championship.

MLB is not even an American thing. The teams are mostly based here, but it is largely an international sport. About one third of the players in MLB are from outside the United States. They come from Japan, Venezuela, The Domincan Republic, Taiwan, Cuba... just to name a few. The best players in the world play here. That's why baseball was cut from the Olympics- because MLB players could not participate.

Another thing, maybe it wouldn't have to be called the World Series if someone would put together a league worthy of competing with MLB. The only one that comes close is the Japan League, and everyone knows that it is inferior. All of their best players come. Really, if Australians are that upset that it's called the world series, maybe you should, I don't know, put together a baseball program that isn't a fucking joke conpared to MLB (which actually has Australians playing, by the way).

Why the fuck do you people care what we call the championship of a sport you don't even seem to care about?

Yeah. Basically, all you idiots need to shut the fuck up and stop bitching about something that isn't even a problem.

Can you justify saying any sport is better than another?

I don't think so, because each game has its own parts that are more difficult than another. Like how soccer isn't just a bunch of lawn fairies kicking a ball around, and football isn't a bunch of fat guys pushing each other around. What do you guys say?

Anyone else play fantasy baseball? I'm currently 2nd in my yahoo 12 team league.
I have in the past. It's just too long of a season. I don't have the energy to keep up with all the micromanagement. Even fantasy basketball takes up too much time. To really be successful you need to be signing and cutting players daily to maximize your scoring. Football is more reasonable in terms of how much time has to be put in, but then I hate how it determines your rooting interests for the whole year. Too much of a distraction.

I don't think so, because each game has its own parts that are more difficult than another. Like how soccer isn't just a bunch of lawn fairies kicking a ball around, and football isn't a bunch of fat guys pushing each other around. What do you guys say?

It's a matter of personal preference, just like music

Agreed.

I have in the past. It's just too long of a season. I don't have the energy to keep up with all the micromanagement. Even fantasy basketball takes up too much time. To really be successful you need to be signing and cutting players daily to maximize your scoring. Football is more reasonable in terms of how much time has to be put in, but then I hate how it determines your rooting interests for the whole year. Too much of a distraction.
I wouldn't say it's that much micromanagement. I spend about 5-10 minutes a day actually managing the team and I'm doing all right. Plus I enjoy rooting for something other than the Red Sox.