The T.V. thread...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Do we have a thread dedicated to T.V.? Couldn't find one. If someone knows of one, feel free to bump it and I'll delete this duplicate.

I recently found that I'm much more interested in T.V., than movies. It didn't use to be that way. For me, there's just no way for movies to compete. The level of character development, nuance in the storyline, connection to the characters, that can take place over the years and years that a great series is on air, is impossible for a movie to match in 90 minutes. And it seems today more than ever, with HBO, Showtime and FX venturing into more adult content, that had been absent from network T.V. for years, there's a great number of darker topics to explore.

Here's what's grabbed my interest in recent years:

Tier 1 - Classic
30 Rock
Big Bang Theory
Breaking Bad
Californication
Dexter
Fringe
House of Cards
Justified
Lost
Parks and Recreation
Rescue Me
Scrubs
Seinfeld
Six Feet Under
Sons of Anarchy
That 70s Show
The Shield
The Sopranos
The Wire
The X-Files

Tier 2 - Excellent
Game of Thrones
How I Met Your Mother
Modern Family
New Girl
Orange is the New Black
The League
The Mindy Project
The Office
Weeds

Tier 3 - Solid
Archer
Arrested Development
Being Human (U.S.)
Boardwalk Empire
Boss
Broadchurch
Episodes
Falling Skies
Friday Night Lights
Hell on Wheels
Homeland
In Treatment
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Louie
Orphan Black
Raising Hope
Ray Donovan
The Killing
The Middle
The Walking Dead
True Blood

Tier 4 - Pass
American Horror Story
Lost Girl
Low Winter Sun
Mad Men
Once Upon a Time
Supernatural
The Americans
The Blacklist
Veep

In Queue
Bates Motel
Fargo
House of Lies
Shameless
Spartacus
The Bridge
The News Room

Currently Watching:

I'm sure I missed a few. Regardless, I'm always looking for great T.V. shows. So, what am I missing?

let's talk about the office

season 8 is GAAAAAAAAAAARBAAAAAAAGE with its ZaNy AnTiCs

no steve carell, not worth watching

Arrested Development. The most endlessly-replayable show ever made.

Louie has been kicking ass lately. Curb. Eastbound and Down, if you can stand the character (it is also very hit or miss). People keep talking about how good Community is, but I have yet to check it out.

Breaking Bad + The Wire = absolute essentials. Get on them. You'll be glad you did.

I also need to give Mad Men a full go. And The Sopranos.

I like Lillyhammer on Netflix ... funny ass stuff.

Portlandia was funny for like 2-3 episodes then it kind of ran out of steam quick ... i think anyway.

started watching BOSS (was great) ... need to continue

but yeah, I agree on the tv show vs. movie stories ... seems like they have been coming up with some cool shows lately.

let's talk about the office
It's definitely taken a step back. But I could watch it solely for the interplay between Jim and Dwight.

Arrested Development. The most endlessly-replayable show ever made.
Always liked this show, but never loved it, as so many do.

Louie has been kicking ass lately. Curb. Eastbound and Down, if you can stand the character (it is also very hit or miss). People keep talking about how good Community is, but I have yet to check it out.
Louie is too dark. EB&D... watched a few episodes, didn't laugh once. Community is the quirkiest show on T.V. by a mile. Consequently, it's very hit or miss.

Breaking Bad + The Wire = absolute essentials. Get on them. You'll be glad you did.
I've heard nothing but great things about both.

I like Lillyhammer on Netflix ... funny ass stuff.
I'll add it to my queue.

For me, there's just no way for movies to compete. The level of character development, nuance in the storyline, connection to the characters, that can take place over the years and years that a great series is on air, is impossible for a movie to match in 90 minutes.
This is true when a series is new, but as in unholy death metal, good shit generally turn to bad shit due to profit hunger. Let the series run its course and then kill it instead of pumping the carcass full of preservatives, lubing it up and going at it again. Almost all good TV shows turn to shitty love stories after a few good seasons.

Anyways, I like these:
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Oz
Psych (love story warning alert the longer it runs though)
Stargate SG-1
Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Legend of Korra starts soon hi5)
According to Jim
...and probably more

This is true when a series is new, but as in unholy death metal, good shit generally turn to bad shit due to profit hunger. Let the series run its course and then kill it instead of pumping the carcass full of preservatives, lubing it up and going at it again. Almost all good TV shows turn to shitty love stories after a few good seasons.
Totally agree. Same with movie sequels. The Matrix is one of my all-time favorite movies. But neither of those sequels needed to be made.

The first episode or two of Community reminded me of Head of the Class (how many of you remember that show?) ...

Besides a few episodes of It's Always Sunny... I haven't seen a single episode of any of the above mentioned shows. I tried DVR'ing Archer last week but for some reason it wouldn't play and I had to delete it. :lol:

The best shows for me: Six Feet Under, The Wire, and Breaking Bad. Mad Men is pretty damn good too.

The Walking dead is really starting to pick up steam, right now. Dexter is okay, it needs to end as soon as possible. The end of season six was a long time coming.

I like Game of Thrones right now, and I hope it doesn't start sucking.

Also, American Gods will be on HBO sometime! :kickass:

For comedies, Zod, check out The League. It's about Fantasy Football, but you don't have to care about it to understand and watch the show.

Fuck the walking dead. So much fucking whining throughout every episode. So done with that shit.
Breaking Bad is easily the best show on tv
Justified season 3 has been damn good

If it stays as true to the books as in season one, no worries for a bunch of years at least. That said, I doubt that's gonna happen.

I didn't like the first book, but really dug the TV show.

Fuck the walking dead. So much fucking whining throughout every episode.
I thought so with the first half of the season, but it really picked up. You could easily tell that Mad Men holding out for more money hurt the series.