Metal In the Mainstream

The Phillips CD burner comercial where the guy has a girl over for dinner (one of my all-time favorites).

In Old School, when the guys from the fraternity start kidnapping their potential members to Master of Puppets.

And for all of you that are fans of foreign movies, try to find the Spanish film El Día de la Bestia (The Day of the Beast). All I'll say of the film is that it's a dark comedy in which one of the main characters is a metalhead who works at a CD Warehouse-like store in Madrid, where he meets the other main character and set off on their "quest". The movie is friggin' hillarious, but I do not know if the music in the movie is from any band (Spanish or from wherever).

2004 Athens Olympics: Between a couple of swimming races the camera pans through the crowd and I noticed a young teenager wearing a Blind Guardian shirt!!! I thought it was really cool.

Also, I am a High school assistant cross country coach and during our end of year banquet we show a slideshow of pictures from the season set to music. The slideshow was put together by the head coaches wife who is on the older side and has no clue on rock/metal music. Apparently when adding music she had searched for songs that related to running and to my delight Marathon by Rush played during part of the show!!

King Crimson's In the court of the crimson king playing during a scene in Children of Men.

Its too bad none of the heavy metal groups are playing at the Grammys (at least as far as I know... maybe I'm wrong).

You're probably not wrong. I think the hard rock/metal Grammy is one of those second-tier awards that is given out "at a ceremony recorded earlier." :erk:

Naturally, the hip-hop Grammies are given full coverage. :puke:

that VW commericial with the boss accidentally hearing the employee's loud music on the car stereo

yep, that's Diecast.

Also:
"Murder by Numbers", a teen slasher flick starring Ryan Gosling and (I think) Sandra Bullock features Maiden's Number of the Beast for at least 30 seconds. Ryan Gosling's character uses it to get back together with his girlfriend after they have a fight.

The teeny flick "A Walk to Remember" starring Mandy Moore and (I think) Shane West contains a scene mentioning Pantera. Mandy Moore is lamenting some bad things in her life and at one point she mentions liking Pantera, then Shane says, "Oh I like Pantera too."

Hate Eternal's "Powers that Be" appears in one of VH1's various programs. It was one about "extreme sports" and some guys were talking about how "extreme" (the word) has lost its meaning, and in the background the song is playing.

that's all I got that hasn't been mentioned already.

Someone placed on another thread but the commercial for The Dark Ages on the History Channel and the commercial for Domino's Pizza with the metal writing and guitar solo is a good mention.

Iron Butterfly's "Inna-Gadda-Da-Vidda" - They played the entire song (long version) in a movie called "Manhunter", which was based on the book, "The Red Dragon". Right where the loooooooooong instrumental is over and the entire band comes back in, William Petersen jumps through a huge plate-glass window to try to kill Francis Dollarhyde. Great shit!! All the Hannibal Lecter movies came out of this. He was a minor character in this story.

I can't fuckin' BELIEVE I heard "Iron Man" on a car or truck commercial!! WTF is the world coming to??

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

Back when Randy Johnson was pitching for the Diamondbacks, they used to open the home games with Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years." I always thought it was an odd choice from a lyrical standpoint, but oh, well...you won't hear me complaining about hearing Maiden at the ballpark...

And he's pitching for them again. :) I think Randy is known to be a metal fan, and is friends w/ Dave Mustaine IIRC (probably had something to do with Dave living in Phx at the time).

Since the D-Backs players get to pick their opening music (which gets us too much rap and country...geez, remember Kelly Stinnett?), I've fantasized about being a baseball player and picking my music. I'm pretty sure I would pick the opening riff to Riot's "Fire Down Under"! Sweet.

And he's pitching for them again. :) I think Randy is known to be a metal fan, and is friends w/ Dave Mustaine IIRC (probably had something to do with Dave living in Phx at the time).

Yep - This should give me a better reason to fight all the downtown construction and road closures to catch a few games this season. I only made it to the ballpark once last year.

By the way, another old d-back player that used to open with a metal tune was Greg Colbrunn (Metallica’s “Enter Sandman”).

I founbd this thread by accident and it brought me back to a few things I remebered.

The VH1 Fashion Awards had commercials back in 2004 that looked a tad on the spooky side. I caught one late at night and heard the bridge to Morbid Angel's "Rapture" featured in the commercial. The official Morbid Angel site confirmed it too.

Dave Mustaine was also on an episode of "Duck Dodgers" on Cartoon Network, animated as himself!

The Soprano's had Cannibal Corpse blasting in a few of their episodes. Century Media was contacted about the posters on the show. they also gave an Iced Earth poster for an episode of Law and Order back in like 2001. The poster was in the room of a troubled teen (go figure). I never saw the episode but I remember the posts on their official site back in the day.

And this probably doesn't count but for a lot of the 80s movies when they show on network TV, "Jesus Christ" is usually overdubbed as "Judas Priest". Just found that funny.

On NPR before some news segment I think it was the instrumental melody part of Metallica's Blackened they were playing. That surprised me a bit.

Yep - This should give me a better reason to fight all the downtown construction and road closures to catch a few games this season. I only made it to the ballpark once last year.

By the way, another old d-back player that used to open with a metal tune was Greg Colbrunn (Metallica’s “Enter Sandman”).

Mariano Rivera uses it. One of the best closers in the game so it's quite fitting.

Metallica is about as mainstream as you get, though. I used to go to WUSA (women's soccer league) in Boston and they always would play Enter Sandman before the 2nd half of the game.

Here in El Paso we had a Double A farm team until about 3 years ago, then it was sold and it is now an Independent league team. Well last summer we went to the one an only game we saw all year, and to our surprise, we were winning and so in the Ninth inning the closer came in, and for all that matters I can't remember his name, but to my surprise his song was, "Slaying the Dreamer" by Nightwish, i thought my daughters were going to have a heartattack, they were jumping up and down, and singing along with the song, people around us thought they were insane, but it made for some fun. By the way he struck out the side to preserve the win.

Posted on the Nightwish.com board by Lord Spevinator on Sun, Feb 4th 2007
So I was watching my Minnesota Wild take on Colorado last Thursday as I started to notice that the sound guy in Colorado was playing a lot of metal. At first it was typical stuff like Metallica. Then in the third period it was Romaticide, Dark Chest of Wonders, and finally he started playing Dead Gardens towards the end of the game when the Wild were winning 5-3 haha.

I think it motivated the Finn's on the Wild. Backstrom got the win, Koivu had 2 goals, and Nummelin had an assist.

I think this is the second time I have heard of Nighwish being played at major US sporting events
There seems to be a lot of metalheads among the NHL players, especially the Europeans, and their musical influence is getting audible :headbang:

I heard earlier that Nightwish was played several times also during the NBL finals last year.

Not sure if Professional Wrestling is mainstream, but three quick ones...

1) Everyone probably already knows the HHH/Motorhead connection.
2) Last night on Monday Night Raw Balls Mahoney was wearing a King Diamond Shirt.
3) Saturday night on Wrestling Society X Zakk Wylde was doing commentary and Justin Credible was sportin a BLS shirt. However, I think Zakk is probably pretty damn mainstream these days.

Was at a club in Orlando and saw Missy Elliot on the big screen wearing a Motorhead shirt in one of her videos. :loco:

Beginning of Season 3/4 of Alias the whole opening was to Cold Hard Bitch by Jet.

Steven Tyler in the sequel to Get Shorty w/ a great one-liner.

There's a Slayer reference in an episode of Buffy, but I can't recall which one.

An episode of Benson that revolved around a KISS concert - just dated myself there.

There's a photo shoot of the little blonde girl from the first American Pie flick wearing Judas Priest shirts.

There's a metal band playing on stage in the first Lethal Weapon movie when Mel rescues Danny in the club. I can't recall who that is though.

the Donnas played the prom?! in Jawbreaker.

anywho.. those were the first off the top of my head. I tried to think of some obscure ones to throw out.