The thing about mp3s..

No, I didn't pre-listen, back the it was all MTV. But you know, I don't think Symphony X will ever be played on mtv...........

And yeah, Tolkki is doing a lot of wrong things in my opinion, it just shows that music today isn't really about the music, but the $$$,

If I die? If I die, I die a SyX-fan who wanted to buy their records but couldn't afford it at current stage in life.
One of my main ideas behind starting a band, making music is to get respect.. Not money, money is nice but without fans you don't get any, and without mp3's nowadays it''s hard for underground bands to get fans.

I see mp3 as a replacement for the times you had to enter a store and ask the owners or something if you could listen to the new record. its like trying a new car.

Please do NOT start the same discussion here. This is the SYMPHONY X forum. And the mp3 discussion (especially the Stratovarius thing) will go on forever anyway.

We all know what Mr. Tolkki thinks, we all know what others think - let's leave it be, ok?

Originally posted by Heidi
So Tolkki is wrong and doing everything wrong because he hate people who stole his album and give it away before release date and for free???

I just read that thread *shudder*, and I can't say I'm very pleased. While I sympathize with his position, I feel he's taking the wrong approach in alienating his fans. But that's enough regarding that.

The point of this is that I purchase a CD and I rip it on my computer. Then I encode it to Ogg Vorbis. I've done this with quite a few recent purchases (I learned my lesson from having to purchase *3* new copies of Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity because my CD binder kept scratching the CDs). Surely this isn't bad?

Originally posted by Birgith
I see mp3 as a replacement for the times you had to enter a store and ask the owners or something if you could listen to the new record. its like trying a new car.

So you go to a carshop and steal the car, use it for awhile and if it's not good, you throw it away?

Originally posted by SyX-Fan No, I didn't pre-listen, back the it was all MTV. But you know, I don't think Symphony X will ever be played on mtv...........
That's not explanation.

And yeah, Tolkki is doing a lot of wrong things in my opinion, it just shows that music today isn't really about the music, but the $$$,

Oh, ok. So Tolkki should have a real job because no one wants him to earn by making music. I will happily give money if I can listen something so beautiful. I think it's not the band that is greed. It's the fans. You.

If I die? If I die, I die a SyX-fan who wanted to buy their records but couldn't afford it at current stage in life.
So you just stole the album. Ok.

One of my main ideas behind starting a band, making music is to get respect..

No, You should make music for yourself.

Not money, money is nice but without fans you don't get any, and without mp3's nowadays it''s hard for underground bands to get fans.

But isn't it nice that you could earn and live buy making music? By the thing you love to do?

But it seems like everyone thinks Tolkki can't.

So you go to a carshop and steal the car, use it for awhile and if it's not good, you throw it away?

That's called a test drive, and is perfectly legal. I don't see anything wrong with sampling music before buying either. And I've spent more money on BUYING CDs than ANYONE in this forum, I can promise you that. MANY of the CDs I bought, I would never have bought if I had not heard the band first via MP3.

Originally posted by markgugs
That's called a test drive, and is perfectly legal. I don't see anything wrong with sampling music before buying either. And I've spent more money on BUYING CDs than ANYONE in this forum, I can promise you that. MANY of the CDs I bought, I would never have bought if I had not heard the band first via MP3.

Let's not jump to conclusions now, eh? :)

You didn't see my point. And I know you have lots of CDs.

Ok, no one understands my point. And you don't give a shit.

Originally posted by crimsun
Let's not jump to conclusions now, eh? :)

I'm guessing you are referring to my statement regarding how much people in this forum might have spent on music? ;)

I sure HOPE you haven't spent as much as me; otherwise, I'll have to weep for your bank account & credit card debt as well! :eek:

Actually Heidi, I DO give a shit. I think the debate right now regarding MP3s is a very important one. Someone said somewhere (don't remember if it's this thread or not) that downloading music to try it out has replaced opening the CD in the store and listening to it first before buying it. I couldn't agree more with that statement. Besides, so much of this music we all love is simply not available in that many retail environments in where many of us live. Are you suggesting that I should just blindly purchase a new band's album (or even an established band's new album) without hearing first if I like it?

I never download an entire album UNLESS I CAN'T FIND IT FOR PURCHASE, and even then, that CD-R becomes a placeholder (if I liked it, of course) for when I do actually find the record.

Have I understood your point yet? If not, please elaborate.

markgugs,

But how about when you download an album. Then there's two or three kicking-ass-songs and rest of the songs just sucks. Will you keep these two or three songs illegally? Yes you will. :(

I see what you mean about keeping just a few songs, which I'm sure I've done, just not that often. Chances are, if I found a killer song, I bought the album. If it then turned out that there were only a couple songs I wanted, I'd burn those and ditch the record on eBay or something.

It's very, very rare that I'll download an entire album and then not buy it. In my whole collection, I only have about 15 CD-Rs, and each one of them is going to be purchased as soon as I find the CDs. So...

I'm guessing you are referring to my statement regarding how much people in this forum might have spent on music? ;)

I sure HOPE you haven't spent as much as me; otherwise, I'll have to weep for your bank account & credit card debt as well! :eek:

hehe, yep. I often go to extreme lengths to do things "the right way" -- buy the album first, then download samples.

I applaud the position you take, and in a perfect world, things would work that way. Unfortunately, people are greedy. At the risk of turning this into a philosophical debate, two things need to change:

1) people's attitudes concerning "test drives"
2) marketing needs to catch up with mainstream media distribution trends

People are going to steal inevitably. Let's just remove or at least decrease the incentive?