The "Those of us who frequent this forum" thread

I'd like to see what it is that people here identify as Jewish faggotry. My experience so far has been very positive, with very few faculty members regardless of department seeking to teach anything that seems blatantly biased or fiercely promoting one single viewpoint.

Graduate school has been very good for me. There's a different format than undergrad. It's more of a seminar environment than a high school one. Undergrad is too much like the latter. I also am able to speak a lot myself, which I like. In undergraduate classes, I recall that professors would get impatient if you bogged their lectures down with too many comments. Grad school is a more level playing field. The professors genuinely respect your arguments. I was in class yesterday afternoon and I did a lot of speaking, and arguing with the professor. It was a very productive class. Also, I get useful feedback on my writing from people who are experts on the material. It's helpful for honing your craft. Additionally, I was uncomfortable in undergraduate classes, being more into the material than others and also much more knowledgeable about it, but now I am surrounded by others who share these things in common with me. I am happy with it.

As for politics, it never comes up because it's irrelevant to most courses. Professors take far fewer liberties with class time than undergrad professors.

The professor's name is Peter Klein, and yes, he's one of the few proponents of an infinitist theory of justification. But his most famous paper is a pretty rigorous refutation of skepticism. Pretty brilliant guy but until I learn more about infinitism I don't think I can say I find it plausible. My school's philosophy department is full of brilliant wackos like him.

Oh, you're at Rutgers. I suppose you're an undergrad. Have you been in one of John Hawthorne's courses? He's the real wacko. Great guy too. Too bad he's leaving for Oxford next year.

No, I haven't taken any classes with Hawthorne. I was unaware that he was leaving for Oxford though. We lost Colin McGinn to Miami last year too. Hopefully our newer professors will continue to produce good research, since a lot of the brilliant guys are either leaving or are getting old, like Klein, Stich (who was an amazing instructor), and Fodor.

Just out of curiosity, what grad school do you go to Demiurge? I most likely plan on attending grad school in philosophy as well, although I really don't think I'd make it in to the Rutgers department. I'm glad to hear that you've had a good experience, because there's quite a few nightmare stories out there about how stifling and oppressive modern academia is and the toll it takes on grad students.

Well, we have some of the most respected younger philosophers like Ted Sider and Jason Stanley. Every semester there is a Tuesday evening class and people go out to drink afterwards. Dean Zimmerman, John Hawthorne and Ted Sider are almost always there. Drinking and continuing the discussion from the seminar is pretty nice.

here's a pic of me:
HPIM2025.jpg

Ive had nothing but positive and wonderful experiences with Jews.

For the most part, me too, with a few notable exceptions, but it's hard to claim that is in any way a higher percentage than the norm (I have had a similar ratio of negative to positive experiences from the mainstream).

However, the question is whether Jewish culture (values) are compatible with the type of society I desire. Christianity I can convert to a transcendental religion, as I can Hinduism and Islam; it is impossible to do the same with Judaism.

For this reason, I would exile all Jews from my country without rancor.

For practical reasons, I would also exile all Muslims from my country without rancor.

I would appoint a Pope of my own to control Christianity, unite its sects, and take its New Age pretentious hippies out behind the barn and blow their fucking brains out.

On a happier note, I like the idea of this face to face conference. If CORRUPT/ANUS were able to sponsor it with a neutral location where we could meet, who would be able to attend?

Thankfully, this semester has ended. I have more time now to post and respond to some things left hanging (such as a discussion with Demiurge).

Also, I'm keen on the idea of a meeting, although I don't know exactly what infoterror means by sponsorship.

I'm keen on the idea of a meeting, although I don't know exactly what infoterror means by sponsorship.

Someone has to provide a place to meet, and food, unless you're talking about everyone flying in to some city to hang out at McDonald's for an hour then split.

On a happier note, I like the idea of this face to face conference. If CORRUPT/ANUS were able to sponsor it with a neutral location where we could meet, who would be able to attend?

Are you offerring an all-expenses trip somewhere for philosopher forum regulars? Will this include drinks as well? Perhaps like a philosophers club meeting at club med or something?

Are you offerring an all-expenses trip somewhere for philosopher forum regulars? Will this include drinks as well? Perhaps like a philosophers club meeting at club med or something?

I wish I could, but that's some serious cash.

I was thinking more of renting a cabin in the Texas woods and holding a retreat over some weekend convenient for most.

Because everyone would be terrified to have me (see benevolent fascism thread) run it, I'd want to delegate the administration.

I was thinking more of renting a cabin in the Texas woods and holding a retreat over some weekend convenient for most.

Because everyone would be terrified to have me (see benevolent fascism thread) run it, I'd want to delegate the administration.

Club med sounds way better, and I doubt anyone would be terrified remotely.

Yes, after the slavery/genocide and necrophilia thread, I think I will skip a trip to a lonely cabin in the wilds of Texas. Sounds like a great idea for a horror movie though. Kill em and do that to them. Sort of a Club Dead type of thing. HEhe.

Surely though, Anus is pulling in major private and corporate political donations? You must have at least some corporate interests or lobbying groups willing to put up the dough for such a junket, correct?

where do you guys live? i'm in princeton at the moment but i frequently go to new york and philadelphia. if anyone's around here and has time in the next few days, we could grab a pint. i'm leaving for istanbul in almost a week.

Yes, after the slavery/genocide and necrophilia thread, I think I will skip a trip to a lonely cabin in the wilds of Texas.

Because you're getting busy implementing slavery, genocide and necrophilia back home? Good for you!

well, i'll almost certainly be going to see porcupine tree on saturday in nyc. if anyone else is going, let me know.

I'm leaving town today and will be gone for about a week. It will be a remote area so I won't have internet access. When I get back, I'd better not find cigarette burns on the couch like last time...:p