The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Killbot said:
I still maintain that progressive, like avant garde, cannot be a genre in itself, but a way of furthur defining a band from another sub-genre of metal.

Yup - defining a band as "progressive" is absurd. They'd have to create a new style of music with each album. But I think you can only call a metal album progressive metal if it developed a new style of metal without simply mixing other styles - which only happens once in a blue moon.

Hammer of Might said:
Enslaved - they're one of the most majestic live bands I've seen, every time. They totally conquered the night, and played a great mix of old and new. The sound across the whole night was fantastic, the venue was a converted church and everything sounded spot on. I love Enslaved's new material, it's great.

that's pretty fricken sweet

"Progressive" as a genre description obviously does not have the same definition of the word in the dictionary. It's just describing a type of music which at one time happened to be progressive but is now in fact redundant.

Hammer of Might said:
I watched 1349, Zyklon and Enslaved on Thursday. :kickass:

1349 - enjoyable enough I suppose, but utterly unoriginal.

Zyklon - actually fairly dull at times. I find a lot of their riffs pretty monotonous and uninspired, and the drum beats tend to be a bit boring as well. Forgettable death metal.

Enslaved - they're one of the most majestic live bands I've seen, every time. They totally conquered the night, and played a great mix of old and new. The sound across the whole night was fantastic, the venue was a converted church and everything sounded spot on. I love Enslaved's new material, it's great.
I'll be seeing 1349 soon with Celtic Frost, though I've never listened to them.

That's badass that it was in an old church. A friend and I have always wanted to turn a church into a venue.

I need to try to convince one of my friends to come to Detroit with me to see Celtic Frost. 1349 and Sahg are the openers.

I heard that Frost had trouble getting into the states. Does anyone know if he is doing this tour or do they have a fill in?

Evil? said:
:puke:

I hate reggae more that most genres. :zombie:

I only like Bad Brains as far as reggae goes, and they're not really even reggae. they're a hardcore punk band.

at least you don't have to deal with the fact that one of your state's biggest exports is a lame frat-boy reggae band called OAR.