The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Ah....I checked out Behold...The Arctopus after seeing someone recommend them here. Those are the people with the Chapman sticks...or two of them have the chapman sticks.

From the dtfaq:

"The Chapman Stick is a unique electric string instrument. Instead of being plucked like a guitar, the act of fretting a note causes it to play. This means that you can play notes with both hands allowing you to play a much fuller arrangement. Emmett Chapman created this technique on a self-built guitar in the late 1960s. In subsequent years he created The Stick as the ultimate instrument for tapping technique."

John Myung plays the Stick on the songs "New Millennium" and "Take Away My Pain", and in various sections of "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

Tony Levin(bass) also plays one in Liquid Tension Experiment.

i've seen Myung (I think) play that one a Dream Theater video, or something of the sort. It was possibly Mike's instructional video, "Liquid Drum Theater", and it's the wierdest fuckin bass I've ever seen.

I've been meaning to check Behold the Arctopus out for a lloooooooong time after seeing their crazy photos on the Kayo Dot forum but I never got around to it.

Oh yer and Chapman Sticks are fucking ugly but they kick ass :D

Can someone recommend me some of the best technical death metal bands? I'm already into Death, Cryptopsy, and Hate Eternal, so I'd love anything along those lines or even better (if there is such a thing). :)

What do you reckon is better, Iced Earth's self titled album or Night Of The Stormrider?

TaylorC said:
Can someone recommend me some of the best technical death metal bands? I'm already into Death, Cryptopsy, and Hate Eternal, so I'd love anything along those lines or even better (if there is such a thing). :)

Check out Martyr and Pestilence.

TaylorC said:
Malignancy, Disgorge (US), Cinerary, Sect of Execration.

TaylorC said:

Everything that's been said so far plus:

Mortal Decay
Pyaemia
Gory Blister
Wormed
Alienation Mental
Blastfame
Theory In Practice
Insidious Decrepancy

I got this Goat Molestor tape called "Ancient Barbaric Assault", that I've realy been getting into. I recommend it to any fans of Beherit or Abruptum... or any other totaly vile black metal, realy. If you can get your hands on a copy anyway.