The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Unanimated 'ancient god of evil'. classic

One of the best extreme metal albums ever.

...except that they are wonderful songwriters.

How so? They seem to follow a standard verse-chorus structure or at least close to it with lots of unimaginative guitar and keyboard doodling in between... in other words, nothing special.

How so? They seem to follow a standard verse-chorus structure or at least close to it with lots of unimaginative guitar and keyboard doodling in between... in other words, nothing special.

You say "They seem to..."; does that mean you haven't really taken the time to listen? And in reality, they don't really follow a standard structure. Some of their songs exhibit this quality, but for the most part, there's no formula for their songs.

You say "They seem to..."; does that mean you haven't really taken the time to listen? And in reality, they don't really follow a standard structure. Some of their songs exhibit this quality, but for the most part, there's no formula for their songs.

That was said because I haven't listened to them in forever, and for good reason :heh: . But I know for a fact that their songwriting style has a very rockish and poppish vibe to it, meaning that that the verse/chorus is often repeated. And like I said, the guitar solo/keyboard sections are filled in between and make the structures appear diverse, yes, but there is nothing really integral or necessary about them; they just seem like mere superfluous musical add-ons. Isn't this typical approach to songwriting even more evident on their latest release?

The vocals for Gods Tower fit their music perfectly. I just put on The Eerie and it's about 100 times better than I remember. Fuck this band rules.

I've heard they're somewhat similar to Eucharist. I need to check them out

I think Unanimated are more extreme and darkened than eucharist, they are a death metal band that is very much influenced by black metal and also have some usage of keyboards(not in a symphonic way), and almost a rockish vibe. I would say 'ancient god of evil' is like a mix between maybe Dissection and Iron Maiden.

what style is it? i thought / assumed gothic rock, in which case it is very unlikely that ill enjoy it. name something similar to it, that you think I may have heard.

It is fairly original, to the point that I know very little like it. I guess, think Agalloch without the folk and occasional post-rock influences and place it in an atmospheric prog metal context.

I guess, Green Carnation MAY also be a decent comparison but not really.
Not Gothrock though, that started after A Deeper Kind Of Slumber.

I could also draw comparisons to Noekk

Also perhaps Katatonia's earlier works made with less death influence, maybe.