The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Depends on whether you define the epitome as an album or the band in retrospect. Hatebreeder was calling Dark Medieval Times and Nemesis Divina the epitome of black metal but also took that to declare the band itself the epitome.

Actually, I never said that. I specifically stated that Satyricon's FIRST THREE ALBUMS were the epitome of early 90s black metal.

EDIT: Dammit, you guys are misconstruing me to the point where even I'm confused.

OK my assessment of Summoning's Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur shows Minas Morgul as being a far superior album. Faster, more dynamic drumming, shorter songs, and less boredom, more black metal. Based on this assessment I am inclined to go backwards and pick up Lugburz, so some tips on that album would be helpful.

Now I found Dol Guldur to be more drawn out and somewhat monotonous. Does this trend continue on later albums or does the black metal reemerge on albums like Stronghold or Oath Bound?

No, not really. On "Stronghold", they go on to have a more overtly catchy and accessible sound, but it is still good. Also of notice, that album is where the guitar has a more 'metallic' sound, where they actually use more "rockish" riffs too along with the tremolo-picking. But like I said, it is still very good by their standards. By the way, there is only one song on there I think that has fast-paced drumming.

And on "Oath Bound", this is actually what I consider their least 'metal' effort... because the guitar sound has so much reverb, it sounds more "resonant/ambient" than it does "metallic/rockish". And also because the keyboard usage is more dominant than before. I love the hell out of it however, it is my favorite album of theirs right behind "Dol Guldur". "Lugburz" you might like, simply on the basis that it has the most overtly "black metal sound", where you can expect to hear lots of fast-paced songs (with a human drummer) and such... also the keyboard usage is kept to only a few sections on that album.

Actually, I never said that. I specifically stated that Satyricon's FIRST THREE ALBUMS were the epitome of early 90s black metal.

Hmmmm, I am soooo tempted to say that this statement is silly, but since I have never heard Satyricon, I guess that would make me even more of a dick, eh?

So, educate me. Why should Satyricon be checked out?

tbh the percussion (vocals and drums) could do with being less busy as it distracts from the unprecedentedly complex melodicism which is the essence of the album but yeah its great

Décadent;5605056 said:
Quality band, but if memory serves, Dodenz here had dismissed them 'till convinced otherwise.

he recommended them to a guy who asked for a listing of thrash bands that dive into other categories (black, death, etc...). So I don't know...he obviously finds them somewhat still relevant if he recommended them to somebody.

Dodes?