The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I do dislike alot of the USBM scene, but bands like Lurker of Chalice, Weakling, Ludicra, Wolves in the Throne Room, and I Shalt Become make the scene worth it for me.

Ildjarn is pretty good.

But everyone should be listening to Mystic Forest instead.

Belenos - Spicilege isn't "with black metal influences" it IS black metal, but I believe iirc that you subscribe to the bullshit idea that BM is ideological defined so I shall disregard your above post.

:err:

actually, i do believe that to the extent that making an album with ripoff burzum riffs and ripoff burzum production and ripoff burzum vocals doesn't mean you've made proper "black metal", that if it doesn't effectively convey the same emotion then it's just "influenced by".

i kinda believe that there was only about 20 proper BM albums ever made, and everything else was either proto-BM or post-BM. most classic "BM" bands only made one or two proper BM works somewhere mid-career.

I agree with Grimace and Spectacular (!) that nothing made after '95 can ever even hope to come to close to the quality of the masterpieces made before, but to call it anything but black metal? Dunno about that one... Subpar black metal, sure, but black metal all the same...

I do dislike alot of the USBM scene, but bands like Lurker of Chalice, Weakling, Ludicra, Wolves in the Throne Room, and I Shalt Become make the scene worth it for me.

For arguements sake, let's say that these are the only worthwhile black metal bands to come out of america, as the number, if not the names, are about right. Isn't it funny that a country with roughly 300.000.000 people can come up with nothing better than this, while Norway, with 4.000.000 people came up with what it did? Seems somewhat odd, doesn't it?

For arguements sake, let's say that these are the only worthwhile black metal bands to come out of america, as the number, if not the names, are about right. Isn't it funny that a country with roughly 300.000.000 people can come up with nothing better than this, while Norway, with 4.000.000 people came up with what it did? Seems somewhat odd, doesn't it?

Yes, but then you go to a country like France with 39 million people and their myriad of great bands from post-96 and you realize it makes up for other countries short comings.

I normally dislike Marduk, as they are very boring and lame, but the other day I heard some of their old stuff from "Those of The Unlight", and "Heaven shall Burn..." and it was pretty decent. Much better than the crap I had heard previously. What so you guys think of that stuff?

I saw Blind Guardian last night. Awesome show. They played for close to two hours. Got to hear a lot of good songs, though they left out some that I would have liked to hear. They only played two songs from the new album, surprisingly, and I was glad because I have not even listened to that album yet. Leaves' Eyes opened for them. They were complete shit.

I normally dislike Marduk, as they are very boring and lame, but the other day I heard some of their old stuff from "Those of The Unlight", and "Heaven shall Burn..." and it was pretty decent. Much better than the crap I had heard previously. What so you guys think of that stuff?

I quite enjoyed Panzer Division Marduk. The beast of a record flies at a searing pace like broken glass going at light speed ripping through walls of human flesh. A good listen to pick you up from a depressing day at work/school.

I quite enjoyed Panzer Division Marduk. The beast of a record flies at a searing pace like broken glass going at light speed ripping through walls of human flesh. A good listen to pick you up from a depressing day at work/school.

The few songs I heard off of that album were quite intense.