The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I have heard this response so many times, so why don't we do something about this and enlighten them? They still may not understand it, but at least we'll have tried.

while I do not doubt image DOES play a part in black metal, its not all that black metal is about. read the lyrics and appreciate the dark atmosphere, fuckers.

Everyone should watch the Cliff 'Em All video, it's fucking awesome. There's an interview with Metallica circa 1982 asking about their influences and among those named are Mercyful Fate and Angel Witch. They really fucking knew their shit, it's amazing what a completely different band that's become.
I had that on VCR casette. It was pretty interesting. But even before I watched that, I knew that Metallica were hugely influenced by NWOBHM. I mean, they even had covers of Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg on Kill Em All. Certainly nowadays, it is hard to believe that the band were so greatly influenced by NWOBHM at one point.

Seriously, their first LP is basically a combination of ripped off NWOBHM riffs and some crazy shit that Mustaine came up with, and a bit of Motorhead on the side.

Was their first album intended to be thrash, or did they consider themselves to be just a heavy metal band?

I'm not so sure that they intend to make Thrash Metal, but they were certainly looking to make some thrashing music in the beginning. I honestly don't know how early the term Thrash was adopted for bands like Metallica, Megadeth, etc., but it wasn't all too terribly long considering Whiplash has a song called Thrash 'Til Death from 1984. And then you look back at 1982 and Metallica has just released their Power Metal demo.

I'm not so sure that they intend to make Thrash Metal, but they were certainly looking to make some thrashing music in the beginning. I honestly don't know how early the term Thrash was adopted for bands like Metallica, Megadeth, etc., but it wasn't all too terribly long considering Whiplash has a song called Thrash 'Til Death from 1984. And then you look back at 1982 and Metallica has just released their Power Metal demo.

didnt 'thrash' refer to a style of hardcore punk before 'thrash' and 'thrash metal' became synonymous? see thrasher magazine, etc. it would make sense given thrash metal's hardcore influence @_@