The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

So it turns out I won't be seeing Dark Tranquillity tonight. Fucking Palladium site was a misinformer. According to the DT forum, the band is back in Sweden right now.

can you hear us death to jesus

I reckon I'll forever remain totally devoted to top-flight thrash and death metal----both of which are the brands of extreme metal music that I've always admired and loved the most. And I listen to thrash and DM records daily. I never could tolerate most of glam/hair metal and power metal bands. And although I've encountered tons of Black Metal fans everywhere from message forum boards to upfront in real life, I confess to being mostly a non-fan of BM. Top-tier Death Metal music and bands float my own boat by way more than BM ever did.

I've got loads of favourite bands in Thrash and DM, so lemme just name some of the leading lights and MVPs in my gallery of personal all-time favourites:

Thrash: (in random order)

Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Dark Angel
Testament
Vio-lence
Exodus
Kreator
Sanctuary
....there are more, but I'll just stop here..

Death Metal:

Suffocation
Immolation
Cryptopsy
Incantation
Malevolent Creation
Morbid Angel
Death
Obituary
Atheist
Vader
Dying Fetus
Morpheus Descends

Again, I gotta stop cos there are obviously many more.
In DM, I've always been a far greater fan of the American scene than I've ever been of the European (i.e, the predominantly Swedish style and sound). Florida and NYDM are what I have forever loved and enjoyed most. I basically don't like progressive/melodic metal much at all. The Swedish style just doesn't thrill me much and actually bores me quite a bit. Besides, in DM, I realize how over the last few years, I've even strongly gravitated toward the Brutal/Tech death style which gives me a tremendous buzz. To cite as evidence; Suffocation have long been one of my greatest DM heroes. I'd recommend any newbie extreme metal fan to discover and sample for themselves albums by any of the bands I've mentioned above. They all play some of the greatest music my ears have heard so far.

Well I'm back and rested from a brutal night at the New England Metal and Hardcore fest and despite the 3-4 hour gap between good acts (with utter shit in between), it was well worth my money to attend!
Traffic on the Pike was slow but I managed to run into the Palladium just in time to hear the first notes of "A Seed for the Suffering" to open up Nachtmystium's short but powerful set. They also played "Chosen by No One" which has one of the best basslines in black metal IMO.
Kataklysm's set was next and the Canadians rendered a short slew of fist-pumping metal, namely "Like Angels Weeping (The Dark)", "Crippled and Broken", "As I Slither", and closing with "In Shadows and Dust". I would have loved to hear "To Reign Again" but time restrictions suck.

Next 3 hours was utter crap, I fell asleep in the back corridor, so as to be well-rested for the coming pwnage.

During Bury Your Dead's last song I managed to fight my way to the second row of bodies so as to get close to Behemoth's upcoming set. And boy, what a performance the Poles put on. About half-way through their set I finally squeezed right to the front and I was pinned between a sea of bodies and the barricade for the next 2 1/2 hours. This was my second time seeing this band live, and I got way more than last time. Behemoth's delivered an explosive setlist:

Demigod
Antichristian Phenomenon
Conquer All
Decade of Therion
[some song from their BM days and demo tapes, I forget the title]
Christians to the Lions
As Above, So Below
Christgrinding Avenue (new song from The Apostasy)
Slaves Shall Serve
Chant for Eschaton

Dimmu Borgir was next and my calculations payed off as my ultimate idol Simen "Vortex" Hestnaes was right in front of me for most of the set (when I wasn't giving the horns I was prostrating before him). Dimmu gave a great set, and the sound wasn't too bad.

Intro
Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
Vredesbyrd
Cataclysm Children
Kings of the Carnival Creation
Sorgens Kammer del II
Indoctrination
The Succubus in Rapture
The Serpentine Offering
The Chosen Legacy
The Insight and the Catharsis
[encore]
Spellbound (by the Devil)
Mourning Palace
Outro

One of the best concert experiences of my life, for sure.

I reckon I'll forever remain totally devoted to top-flight thrash and death metal----both of which are the brands of extreme metal music that I've always admired and loved the most. And I listen to thrash and DM records daily. I never could tolerate most of glam/hair metal and power metal bands. And although I've encountered tons of Black Metal fans everywhere from message forum boards to upfront in real life, I confess to being mostly a non-fan of BM. Top-tier Death Metal music and bands float my own boat by way more than BM ever did.

I've got loads of favourite bands in Thrash and DM, so lemme just name some of the leading lights and MVPs in my gallery of personal all-time favourites:

Thrash: (in random order)

Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Dark Angel
Testament
Vio-lence
Exodus
Kreator
Sanctuary
....there are more, but I'll just stop here..

Death Metal:

Suffocation
Immolation
Cryptopsy
Incantation
Malevolent Creation
Morbid Angel
Death
Obituary
Atheist
Vader
Dying Fetus
Morpheus Descends

Again, I gotta stop cos there are obviously many more.
In DM, I've always been a far greater fan of the American scene than I've ever been of the European (i.e, the predominantly Swedish style and sound). Florida and NYDM are what I have forever loved and enjoyed most. I basically don't like progressive/melodic metal much at all. The Swedish style just doesn't thrill me much and actually bores me quite a bit. Besides, in DM, I realize how over the last few years, I've even strongly gravitated toward the Brutal/Tech death style which gives me a tremendous buzz. To cite as evidence; Suffocation have long been one of my greatest DM heroes. I'd recommend any newbie extreme metal fan to discover and sample for themselves albums by any of the bands I've mentioned above. They all play some of the greatest music my ears have heard so far.

I'm in the same boat as you, as I too hate power metal. but I love black metal.