The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Their mid-era Black Metal/Industrial mixture is great, but once they put forth Reign of Light they lost too much of the black metal element and got a bit too poppy. From what I've heard of Solar Soul, they're sticking to the same formula.

I heard the industrial stuff Samael did isn't that great, but I've never heard anything of Samael's past Blood Ritual

If you like Blood Ritual and Worship Him, you'll dig Ceremony of Opposites, but Passage is probably not your cup of tea.

I still like Passage even though it was one of my first metal albums but it's definitely a bit more pop than what you might call "classic" Samael.

I'm listening to "Between the Buried and Me"s new shit on their MySpace & it's not bad at all. I normally do not like this kind of shit, but these guys seem to be doing alright. Anything with "Core" & "Groove" in the name usually sucks but their new stuff seems to be a rare exception. I'm going to go ahead & give this a curtosy download.

Exodus - Exhibit A = 6.5/10

Good, but definitely not up to par with their potential. Notably weak song structure. Every album they put out is slightly worse than its predecessor.

I have concluded that Nergal is overly theatrical, annoying and has very sub-par vocals on most of his new works. Demigod was a ok record, maybe 7/10, but this new one is boring and has a overall bad sound. Their is a lack of evolution with the band.

I really enjoy the album. It's one of those albums where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I really enjoy the album. It's one of those albums where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I just got really sick of hearing Nergal's vocals. Its a very sub-par album. Its not a modern day metal masterpiece like some people have claimed. The only good thing Behemoth is doing now is shedding light into Black Metal for people who have not seen or been able to get into underground music.

I'm listening to "Between the Buried and Me"s new shit on their MySpace & it's not bad at all. I normally do not like this kind of shit, but these guys seem to be doing alright. Anything with "Core" & "Groove" in the name usually sucks but their new stuff seems to be a rare exception. I'm going to go ahead & give this a curtosy download.

I'm sure the band are eternally grateful.

Song structure is a problem within metal.

Yeah, that's one of the things that helps me to appreciate a lot of classic rock -- attention to detail.

I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with Steely Dan. I've been listening to them a lot lately, and it's simply mindblowing what great songwriters they are. The vast majority of their material is perfectly tight, flowing continuously from one cool riff to the next to the next, and full of subtle rhythm work and soloing that keeps the song evolving the whole way through. Plus, they have some of the most intelligent, witty lyrics ever written. Even if you don't enjoy jazz-rock, I think it's hard not to be amazed at the sheer elegance in their music.

Well, they do sound extremely slick and studio-esque, so I can see that rubbing some people the wrong way. They're one of the least 'messy' bands ever. And you can't really rock out to their music either - it's all very artsy and subtle.

That could be a formula for disaster with a lot of bands, but the fact is that Dan puts tons and tons of stuff in each of their songs, so that saves them from getting boring as far as I'm concerned.