The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

A few too many metaphors for my taste. I'd prefer if you described what the music sounds like instead of stuff like "This metaphor applies well to the vocals, which sound like they are being shouted up towards you from the flames below, beckoning you to descend."

Also that's why I posted the myspace links, so you can hear for yourself. Judgments are better made by the music itself than the words that describe it.

Then why review in the first place? Your aim should be to pitch things people may not want to hear directly to them by citing similarities to bands, letting people know what some good and bad points are (from your perspective), etc. With the age of Myspace, it's so much easier for people to just make their own judgments on bands, so it's tough for reviewers to really hit on something that would make people rather read a review than go listen to some low-quality mp3s. You have to really sell it to them and/or say "this album works better as a cohesive hole" blah blah and that just listening to Myspace tracks won't help you get a feel for what the band is trying to do (though that's not often true, but when it is, make sure to say it)...

Well, looking back at my review I feel like I've effectively communicated that message. I guess Nick's criticisms made me look for excuses for false shortcomings. The message I want to present is something that intrigues the reader and let's him/her imagine the reviewer's experience.

Then why review in the first place? Your aim should be to pitch things people may not want to hear directly to them by citing similarities to bands, letting people know what some good and bad points are (from your perspective), etc. With the age of Myspace, it's so much easier for people to just make their own judgments on bands, so it's tough for reviewers to really hit on something that would make people rather read a review than go listen to some low-quality mp3s. You have to really sell it to them and/or say "this album works better as a cohesive hole" blah blah and that just listening to Myspace tracks won't help you get a feel for what the band is trying to do (though that's not often true, but when it is, make sure to say it)...

"You" (the reviewer) don't have to do a damn thing. A review is an expression of a listener's experience of an album, and that can take a wide array of forms. You don't have to "sell" an album or coerce people into avoiding it.

"You" (the reviewer) don't have to do a damn thing. A review is an expression of a listener's experience of an album, and that can take a wide array of forms. You don't have to "sell" an album or coerce people into avoiding it.

+1.

Presenting a review as anything other than your own log of the experience or experiences of listening to the music strikes me as ultimately pointless.

And here we are presented with two different ways of discovering and assessing prospect bands. You can either go by objective parameters like what you can find on a Metal-Archives page (genre, bands with shared members, lyrical themes, label) or you can balance the subjective assessments of reviews.

Oh wow, this old Cynic demo from 1990 kicks a ton of ass. Way better than Focus. Why do people hype that album up so much? It's pretty fucking gay tbh. But this demo shit is great. Can't believe I haven't bothered to listen to it until now.

Probably because you didn't like what you'd previously heard from the band.[/Captain Obvious]

Yeah but I've always heard good things about the Cynic demos and that they were pretty different from their album. Just never bothered to check them out for some reason.

Well at any rate, they are indeed pretty fucking good. I think I have a live show from the same era as well. If you remind me on Friday I'll check.