The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

idea8.jpg

:epic:

Skullfucker and Drink And Drive never fail to bring a smile to my face.

You'll love Defenders of the Crown. Such an epic record.

I didn't, actually...feels like after recording the first album they didn't listen to anything but Elvenking's debut till they recorded this.
:cry:

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked was fucking awesome.
Amongst The Catacombs was pretty good.

I'm surprised. I think the songwriting on the second is actually better than the first, but still very similar.
Well, for one thing the second is all mid-tempo. Midtempo folky European power metal generally sucks. Aside from the songwriting, I think the first one had this atmosphere that doesn't carry over to the second. Also, the vocal performance is definitely far better on the first; on Defenders he sings higher and doesn't sound so good; his voice sounds absolutely amazing in the mid-to-high range but when he sings high it just sounds kinda eh and also overproduced. I think overproduction is generally a problem with the album.

Looking for recs please.

I like Opeth, Meshuggah, Therion, Amorphis, Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Machine Head, Sepultura, Rammstein.

Anything really which fits in with these tastes would be cool to know.

Recently I started listening to a little bit boring trush, a little bit boring riffs, good singer - big sunglasses, not Emperor sunglasses, big sunglasses, always good band.

Thanks for the Testament rec.

Have been listening to :
Sunn O))) - White 2
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Dismember - Indecent And Obscene
The Hidden Hand - Divine Propoganda

Loved Dismember and Hidden Hand, still trying to get my head around BM but found Emperor more listenable than the last time I tried it. Sunn O))) a little too far away from what I listen to usually.

Thanks for the Testament rec.

Have been listening to :
Sunn O))) - White 2
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Dismember - Indecent And Obscene
The Hidden Hand - Divine Propoganda

Loved Dismember and Hidden Hand, still trying to get my head around BM but found Emperor more listenable than the last time I tried it. Sunn O))) a little too far away from what I listen to usually.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, Covenant
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (their most accessible tbh)

I like Opeth, Meshuggah, Therion, Amorphis, Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Machine Head, Sepultura, Rammstein.

Slayer, Kreator, Megadeth if you like Metallica

For Maiden and Priest:
Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt. I
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. I
Hammerfall - Glory to the Brave, Crimson Thunder
In Flames - The Jester Race (lots of Maiden-y guitar harmonies in a more death metal context)

Also, Iced Earth try to sound as much like a thrashy Maiden as possible

Amorphis: Try Insomnium

If you like Opeth try Orphaned Land

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (their most accessible tbh)

Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt. I
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. I
Hammerfall - Glory to the Brave, Crimson Thunder
In Flames - The Jester Race (lots of Maiden-y guitar harmonies in a more death metal context)

Also, Iced Earth try to sound as much like a thrashy Maiden as possible

Have got these ones will re-listen as it has been a while.

I should also mention that I love Devin Townsend's many ad varied projects.

So, I only recently discovered the band Askival. They have one record, called Eternity, and apparently it came out this year. The Metal Archives also shows the band (which I think was a one-man project) as "split-up." Not a very long-lived project at all, and I'm verily pissed, because this record is fucking awesome epic viking folk.

I've changed my opinion on Nile's Amongst The Catacombs. That album is fucking awesome, definitely their second best after Darkened Shrines.

Also, I think the way the recordings of Amon Amarth's live performance at Blooshed over Bochum has been handled is downright shitty. They're rereleasing unnecessary remasters of the first four albums (only Versus the World and Fate of Norns, which isn't being rereleased, could benefit from this) and releasing the corresponding performance at Bochum as bonus tracks. For anyone who already has the old stuff they'll have to purchase redundant copies if they want to hear the live versions (which is reportedly fucking awesome). AA are hardly known for gouging (See Wrath of the Norseman, $15, 7.5 hrs of footage), and the concert was filmed, so my guess is that a DVD release is on it's way but at current this sucks. Metal Blade's doing, I suspect. They could have at least released a live album. May have to resort to piracy.
Just venting.

Also, I received Kreator's Outcast and again many of the songs are good but stupid decisions kill them. Phobia, for example:

Awesome on Live Kreation:

Not so hot on album:

Also, my friend lent me MA's Altars of Madness and that shit fucking kills. What a badass band.

Last edited by a moderator: