The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

At the moment Iam trying to get more into different styles of music like Rock, Black-metal, death..etc.
I was listening to YES - Union and it was just an awesome listening-experience cause it really opened me more to listen to other stuff. Iam still focussed on Thrash-metal but it gets boring with the time, cause I listened to that stuff to death..

I thought the same thing. Their first two albums are far superior.

And the fourth, although that's less brutal.

Today I received:
Limbonic Art - Legacy of Evil
Aborym - Generator
Kiuas - The New Dark Age
Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance

The following are opinions based upon a single listen and may change radically:

I was really underwhelmed by Kiuas. I suspect Spirit of Ukko is far better; this relied way too much on syncopated chugging synced to double bass; there was a lacking of awesome riffs and the ballsy production couldn't cover up for the unballsiness of the riffing. Also, solos a little too wankey for my taste but not a big issue. May grow on me.

Black Seeds Of Vengeance seemed like a blueprint for In Their Darkened Shrines. It was markedly inferior, though. The guitars were muddy, and while there were plenty of those cool egyptian melodies they weren't as cool as on ItDS. Also, the tempo changes that were handled so masterfully on ItDS seemed too abrupt here. And the riffs were just better. Also, the vocal performance is good, but there's too much of the incredibly deep indecipherable vocals and not enough of the midrange growls.

One thing I really appreciate about this album is the liner notes. I think writing some notes on where the inspiration for the song came from or how it was put together or just whatever cool story there is behind it is really worth doing and I wish more bands would do it (only other one that comes to mind is Shadows Fall's Fallout From The War). This isn't to say that Nile's lyrics are so awesome, but just that it's cool to see what's going on behind the scenes. Also, the lyrics are a welcome break from gore.

I think writing some notes on where the inspiration for the song came from or how it was put together or just whatever cool story there is behind it is really worth doing and I wish more bands would do it

I agree, The Gates of Slumber did this on the CD version of Conqueror. While I think the notes are a little bit too chatty and sort of annoying they're certainly better than lots of liner notes that do nothing at all.

I was really underwhelmed by Kiuas. I suspect Spirit of Ukko is far better; this relied way too much on syncopated chugging synced to double bass; there was a lacking of awesome riffs and the ballsy production couldn't cover up for the unballsiness of the riffing. Also, solos a little too wankey for my taste but not a big issue. May grow on me.

Spirit of Ukko is absolutely their best, without a doubt. I love all their albums (of course), but Spirit of Ukko is the most consistently badass.

The New Dark Age, while awesome, took longer to grow on me. At first listen I thought "Well, it's Kiuas, but why do the songs sound bland?" They're definitely not as interesting and energetic as those from Spirit of Ukko, but they've taken their music in a slightly different direction; almost mainstream, in some cases. My favorite track on Dark Age is "The Wanderer's Lamentation," partially because it features a solo that is far removed from wankery, but is ultimately badass nonetheless. And it has a sweet folk outro.

Over the months that I've had it I've come to really enjoy the rest of the album though. There are only a few songs that I don't care for (Conqueror, the title track, Black Rose Withered).

I really do hope their next release is more similar to Spirit of Ukko.

If New Dark Age is the first album you bought, you're in for a surprise when you finally hear Ukko.

Well, I heard some stuff from Ukko you posted, that was why I bought Dark Age. I'll definitely get Ukko.

Received today: Eluveitie - Slania
Listened to: Eluveitie - Slania, Aborym - Generator

Slania struck me as nearly the same as but markedly inferior to Spirit. They've reduced the folkiness and increased the melodic death metal influences. They've also toned down the female vocals. But the main problem is that the songs just aren't as good. Still, comparing it to Spirit is bound to disappoint, since that album was awesome. Slania is a decent album, with a couple great songs. There's a good chance it'll grow on my.

Generator didn't have the expected effect of blowing me away with cold blasting symphonics. Actually, I felt the sound was fairly warm and not at all the harsh, mechanized sound I'd been led to expect. I'm gonna need a couple listens before I can form any sort of useful opinion on the album (although my initial opinion is favorable), but so far I don't care for the vocals. Also, the part in Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea where the band is going full speed and there's the sound effect of the gun cocking and firing and then it stops and then that keyboard thing comes in that's almost techno - fucking awesome.

Generator didn't have the expected effect of blowing me away with cold blasting symphonics. Actually, I felt the sound was fairly warm and not at all the harsh, mechanized sound I'd been led to expect. I'm gonna need a couple listens before I can form any sort of useful opinion on the album (although my initial opinion is favorable), but so far I don't care for the vocals.

Generator took a few months to grow on me, to the point that it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Faust's drumming is fantastic on the album, a perfect human adaptation to the industrial vibe. Your dedication will pay off.

Also, the part in Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea where the band is going full speed and there's the sound effect of the gun cocking and firing and then it stops and then that keyboard thing comes in that's almost techno - fucking awesome.

I love that part, but my favorite moment is the middle section of "A Dog-Eat-Dog World".

Received today:
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Nile - Among The Catacombs of Nephen-Kra
Human Fortress - Defenders of the Crown
Will update with opinions.

idea8.jpg

:epic:

On a different note, a metal club recently formed on my campus. During our last meeting, each member made a mix of music that he or she likes and we randomly exchanged discs. I got this:

Aborted- Meticulous Invagination
Scarve- Fireproven
YOB- Grasping Air
Zimmer's Hole- When You Were Shouting At the Devil...
To-Mera- The Glory of a New Day
Immortal- Tragedies Blow At Dawn
Gojira- In the Wilderness
Morbid Angel- Where the Slime Live
The Dillinger Escape Plan- Milk Lizard
Emperor- Sworn
Lux Occulta- Mother Pandora
Obscura- Orbital Element

I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm pretty excited. The kid who made it sounded really cool.