The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I was thinking today (and of course it changes, but...), what would be like my most favouritest and bestest album ever in metal. After few years of listening to this and finding some albums that I couldn't live without (and there's like, 10 of them), I'd say it's Monotheist by Celtic Frost. I guess it's an extreme thing of heart, but yeah.

I should go listen to it again; it's been a while. I remember just not liking the sound on the album. Also, it has those 2 utterly pointless instrumentals and those are one of my pet peeves. Covenant has the same thing.

iirc every single Morbid Angel album other than the first one has pointless instrumental tracks, so I don't get why you would hold that against Domination specifically.

The instrumental tracks on BATS are great, not counting the intro. Doomsday Celebration adds a creepy atmosphere before going into the bone crushing Day Of Suffering, and Desolate Ways is just beautiful and unexpected on such an otherwise evil album.

iirc every single Morbid Angel album other than the first one has pointless instrumental tracks, so I don't get why you would hold that against Domination specifically.

I only have A,C, and D, and of those only C and D have the tracks. I do hold the pointless instrumentals against Covenant, it just happens to be such fucking ownage that they can't bring it down.

The instrumental tracks on BATS are great, not counting the intro. Doomsday Celebration adds a creepy atmosphere before going into the bone crushing Day Of Suffering, and Desolate Ways is just beautiful and unexpected on such an otherwise evil album.

Doomsday Celebration is just cheesy video game music. Desolate Ways is decent I guess, but still a largely forgettable 'breather track' imo.

The intro on that album is actually pretty awesome. I much prefer them using metal sounds to build atmosphere than some random midi track.

So I feel compelled to anounce (for Ein's benefit) that I've significantly shifted my opinion on Human Fortress - Defenders of the Crown. It's quite good. Not as good as the first. But after listening to it a bit I like it a lot more; there's some melodies that you hear the first time around but don't pay to much attention to that grow a lot, such as in The Valiant and Border Raid In The Lion's March. That said, it loses a lot of the raw funness of the debut, and also a bit of the medieval feeling. I might try Eternal Empire after all.

Cool. From all that I've heard of Eternal Empire, it's really bad; but then again, maybe I haven't listened to it intently enough.

Glad you like Defenders now though; it definitely has some great melodic moments.

I listened to Suspyre's The Great Divide earlier and this is such an awesome album, any fan of progressive metal should check it out.

Here's a live version of part of the best song, April in the Fall:

Sound isn't fantastic, and you can't hear the keyboards, which is too bad because they're excellent.

Here's another song:

This is from the first half (Opus II) as opposed to the second half (Opus III), which is tighter and better composed. This one is really cool, but the riffing becomes a bit insane.

Also, I relistened to Severe Torture - Fall of the Despised and I'm upgrading my appraisal from generic to generic good. Also, their latest Sworn Vengeance is very good. Here's a song from that (studio):

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard Septic Flesh's most recent release, Communion, and I fucking love it. I've never even heard of these guys before, but I'm definitely going to be checking out more of their stuff.