The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

What programs do you guys use to listen to music? I usually just use Spotify but I'm kind of disappointed lately because sometimes I can't find some albums from certain bands since they seem to have some disagreement with my country therefore I can't listen to music as I'd like to, it's so frustrating.

What programs do you guys use to listen to music? I usually just use Spotify but I'm kind of disappointed lately because sometimes I can't find some albums from certain bands since they seem to have s ome disagreement with my country therefore I can't listen to music as I'd like to, it's so frustrating.
I use Spotify as well. One of my biggest issues with Spotify is the broken listings for certain artists and albums. For instance W.A.S.P.'s Helldorado album is under this rapper named WASP's profile (and not on W.A.S.P.'s profile like it should be). Also, they've got Dominator and Babylon listed as 2015 releases. I've also seen Hawkwind's 1999 Party album listed as released in 1900. image.jpg

Encyclopedia Metallum is fantastic for finding new metal bands. I also collect craploads of CDs in terms of how I listen to my music.

What programs do you guys use to listen to music? I usually just use Spotify but I'm kind of disappointed lately because sometimes I can't find some albums from certain bands since they seem to have some disagreement with my country therefore I can't listen to music as I'd like to, it's so frustrating.

I use Spotify and soundcloud. I don't really have a functional computer but these work fine. Spotify has some surprisingly obscure shit, although things can get weird like @H.P. Lovecraft said. Every now and then I won't be able to find something but it works well enough. Soundcloud is good for techno but not much else, and the app is pretty half assed.

I use Spotify and soundcloud. I don't really have a functional computer but these work fine. Spotify has some surprisingly obscure shit, although things can get weird like @H.P. Lovecraft said. Every now and then I won't be able to find something but it works well enough. Soundcloud is good for techno but not much else, and the app is pretty half assed.
Yeah. I've been utterly blown away by some of the bands and musicians I've seen on Spotify. I never expected to find, say, Dangerous Toys, on there given all of 2 people seem to actually know about them. Cirith Ungol too.

Also use Spotify. I use forums like this one to find new music. Tho "related artists" on spotify has given me alot of suprises. So far there are just a few cases of albums artists havent added to their lists i miss on spotify, and Tool.....i really want Tool on spotify.

Spotify and Youtube. Rhapsody has a good selection but I hate their new software interface.

Back in my early days of listening to metal, there used to be a number of really good blogs filled with endless pages of compressed downloads. I used to scroll that shit all day sometimes and discover a lot of really good and obscure music. Any good resources like that still around? For metal, or anything else for that matter? Less interested in the illegal downloading, more about digging up new music.

As far as metal goes, I'm listening to plenty of black, death and thrash such as Entombed, Testament, Burzum, Exodus, Thorns, early Mayhem demos and Deathcrush, Death, Morbid Angel, and Kataklysm. In the past weeks I've found myself listening to heaps of Iron Maiden, probably because I'm seeing them at the end of April... Can't wait! it'll be my first time seeing them live.

I've been listening to Husker Du a lot recently (hence the avatar), they're fantastic. Best hardcore punk band and maybe even best punk band full stop, I don't care what you say. Minor Threat and Black Flag are great too, but Husker Du are on another planet of their own.

I'm also really into jazz right now, especially Snarky Puppy, Miles Davis and Guthrie Govan's stuff. Partially cause I'm playing in a jazz band but also just because it's good stuff.
Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind is fantastic for those of you asking about ambient music, fantastically made and not too difficult to grasp, especially seeing as it's mixed in with Gothic rock and about a million other styles. Kind of a low ball for anything ambient or experimental, and well respected but definitely not overrated. Neptune Towers is a great dark ambient project by Fenriz from Darkthrone, and I would definitely suggest it to any black metal fan thinking of listening to ambient; same with any of Burzum's ambient stuff. Say what you will about Varg, but musically he's a genius.
Noise is also fantastic, listen to Merzbow. It's great.
And of course, danger music. Who doesn't like bulldozers driving through walls of venues, men screaming in classrooms, and gouging eyes out? It's the most harmful kind of fun!

Last edited:
I've been wanting to switch to spotify for the "similar artists' feature, which my usual Rhapsody lacks, but I've been using that shit for years. Might just supplement with it. Rhapsody for my library, spotify for personalized exploration.

Think I'll get started like.... Now, actually.

I've been wanting to switch to spotify for the "similar artists' feature, which my usual Rhapsody lacks, but I've been using that shit for years. Might just supplement with it. Rhapsody for my library, spotify for personalized exploration.

Think I'll get started like.... Now, actually.
I can't stand Spotify personally. Their choices are so generic and mainstream it drives me nuts. To be honest I hate all music streaming services, but if I was held at gunpoint and had to choose one to use I'd go with Apple music because their choices are not so generic; maybe because Banger TV makes the choices for their metal playlist. But I'd much rather buy a CD or use YouTube if I must. I need a record player so I can start collecting vinyl too...

i haven't sampled any other music streaming services, but i can't agree on what you say about spotify, honestly. let me show an example of my spotify recs right at this moment.

"because you listened to omen and cirith ungol, check out:
witchfinder general - death penalty
doomsword - my name will live on
witchfynde - give 'em hell
slough feg - ape uprising!
the lord weird slough feg - traveller
medieval steel - the dungeon tapes
grim reaper - best of grim reaper
angel witch - as above, so below
manilla road - open the gates
vicious rumors - soldiers of the night
sword - metalized
brocas helm - black death
attacker - the second coming
armored saint - march of the saint
chastain - mystery of illusion
tokyo blade - night of the blade
cloven hoof - resist or serve
crimson glory - s/t
raven - extermination

because you listened to paul chain, check out:
paul chain violet theatre - detaching from satan
doomraiser - mountains of madness
reverend bizarre - crush the insects
bedemon - child of darkness
doomshine - the piper at the gates of doom
reino ermitano - veneracion del fuego
dawn of winter - the peaceful dead
count raven - mammons war
internal void - unearthed
the gates of slumber - the wretch
abysmal grief - abysmal grief
altar of oblivion - grand gesture of defiance
wall of sleep - no quarter given
place of skulls - nailed
valhall - heading for mars
"

just one click and you can listen to the full album in every case. these are far from 'mainstream' lists. if you're getting mainstream lists you're probably listening to mainstream bands.

That's not too bad I suppose. I've seen some interesting lists for sure, but I would much rather use Apple music personally. This is if I had no choice though, because I don't use music streaming services.