The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Haha. I just rediscovered the first three And Oceans albums for the fifth time. So incredible.

Trollfan, Acid Sex and Marble Teeth, Postfuturistika, it never ends...

Did they release Genevieve now?
I heard a sample from this album. I liked the sound, but i am not sure if i should buy this album. The problem is that all bands that i know, that have a similiar sound and that are concentrating on atmosphere that much, often are very monotonous and get boring very fast though at the beginning the atmosphere seemed so great - examples are Burzum's Filosofem-album, Nargaroth's Geliebte des Regens and Drudkh's Forgotten Legends.
I also fear that they might be too much about constructing strange instruments like a Diesel-Harp and not enough about writing good songs...

What do you think?

Grrahgh time for a HUGE FUCKIN POST TO MAKE THIS THREAD POPULAR AGAIN!

anonymousnick2001 said:
Haha. I just rediscovered the first three And Oceans albums for the fifth time. So incredible.

Trollfan, Acid Sex and Marble Teeth, Postfuturistika, it never ends...

TA MIG OVER BREE-NAHN-DAY! VAAH-TEEEEEEN!
LA SNEN! SMEEDA! IANDEN!
FANGAD! AV! STAR-KEST-EH! NET!
SANDENSTARTOR! OCH HEEEEEEET!

Fucking METAL AS FVCK. Sålipsism is such a fucking good song, it's PAINFVL.

RosesofShadow said:
Oh i just checked Aes Dana's site and downloaded a sample and it's great! Thanks guys!

Indeed!

Guardian of Darkness said:
I think it rules. Opinions seem very much divided on it.

I don't understand the negative reactions to it. It's incredible atmospheric black metal. Anyone who thinks it sucks has no idea what they're talking about. Dextronaut was very disappointing, since I decided to download it after checking out the newer stuff (including the great Music For Falling Buildings demo you mentioned on M-A MD). It's too generic and it really doesn't have too much personality. I think with the invention of the dieselharp, their incredibly fucked up outlook on the general public, etc. they really got to connect with what they were making and allowed us to connect as well. The dark ambient track at the end is fucking INCREDIBLE BREATHTAKING SPECTACULAR, also.

Freanan said:
The problem is that all bands that i know, that have a similiar sound and that are concentrating on atmosphere that much, often are very monotonous and get boring very fast

I'm pretty sure it's very subjective for you and others. I can understand what you mean here, but I really don't understand people who love atmospheric black metal and say it's bad to be different...I mean...even Demiurge likes it. Hell he loves it.

Velvet Cacoon do focus on the atmosphere...but it's certainly not boring. I listened to Genevieve over 3 times when I downloaded it (in a row), and I am pretty confident in saying that it didn't get "boring" throughout all three of my listens, even though they were back to back. They do play very minimalistically, and they may use 1 or 2 riffs the entire song, but the entire sound is just works so well and has that depressing yet uplifting feel to it that I just couldn't be bored by it no matter how hard I tried.

I've seen it on Redstream, but a friend of mine said he bought it; now I'm wondering if they have a second copy I can buy. If not, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere (I know some other place that have it).

Let's see...been listening to some great shit lately...included:

-Velvet Cacoon :)p)
-Brighter Death Now (some samples here)
-Gruntsplatter (dark ambient/minimalistic noise, one sample here)
-In Flames (mostly The Jester Race...rediscovered classic)
-the Umbra Nihil/Aarni split (BRILLIANCE, DOWNLOAD OR BUY IT! Sample from Umbra Nihil track "A Mere Shell" here)
-Atrium Carceri (torturous dark ambient with a dark cellblock-like sound, which explains the name...download Machine Elves, Incubation, and Blue Moon)
-Coph Nia (more ambient...a few tracks are available here, but they are samples, I believe)
-Prurient (devastating harsh noise)
-Cancer's Death Shall Rise album
-Invocation Of Nehek...one of the better metalcore bands I've heard who put most bands who use the genre's name to shame. Get three tracks here)

KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE MOTHERFUCKS AND STAY FUCKING METAL

Same thing as a motherfucker but with one less syllable.

Golem are pretty cool (even better for being a good band on Nuclear Blast , along with Bal-Sagoth), but as Snxke said in his review on M-A, they need to do less blasting and have more atmospheric parts. Their guitar tone is pretty rockin', and it's possible I'll buy the album since I've seen it for sale at a local store.

On another note, I fucking love my city now. Ever since I discovered RRRecords (home to Emil Beaulieau, America's greatest noise artist, as I've probably mentioned countless times because I like to drop names), he's stocked more and more great metal. Yesterday, I discovered a Graveland album there (I do believe it was Carpathian Wolves), Immolations Here In After, and some other great metal, among a horde of great ambient (Aghiatrias, anyone? Any...one? Didn't think so.)

I re-discoveres the german underground bm band Aaskereia.
Last year i got their album "Mit Raben und Wölfen", but i threw it into some dark corner because i hated the lyrics.
I still think the lyrics suck, but their music is absolutely elite, it is much of what modern bm needed: Innovation within the boundaries of the genre, atmosphere and extremity.

Does anyone here know them?
They also are going to release a new mini-cd...

I'm listening to Weltmacht's And to Every Beast it's Prey.

This.... rules!!

I'm also wondering about an Enslaved release a local online shop claims to have second-hand. It is titled Enslaved and apparently was released in 1994 by SPV. Is this an ignorant mistake by the shop, or an actual release?(It could easily be Frost.) Any information would be appreciated.

I'm a fan of long song albums like Green Carnation's "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" and Edge of Sanity's "Crimson I & II".

I'm interested in getting more songs similar to those lengths (genre doesn't matter). Anyone have any recommendations?

merci said:
I'm a fan of long song albums like Green Carnation's "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" and Edge of Sanity's "Crimson I & II".

I'm interested in getting more songs similar to those lengths (genre doesn't matter). Anyone have any recommendations?
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Yes - Tales Of Topographic Oceans

Meshuggah - I

merci said:

Sleep - Jerusalem
Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was...Death

merci said:

Monolithe- Monolithe I (doom metal)
Wyrd- Heathen (Folk metal, heathen metal, pagan metal whatever you call it)
Mike Oldfield- Tubluar Bells (Prog Rock)