The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

The bands you listed are doom to a degree; but I don't listen to any of them so when I think of doom I think of Candlemass and the like.

And don't bother with Solstice; if you really didn't like anything else I mentioned you won't like them. Too bad though. :cool:

The only "doom" I have been able to get into is Saturnus, I don't know if they even count. Mostly just the album Veronika Decides to Die, one of the most somber works I have come across.

Saw Saturnus a while back (friend told me it was a progressive band! :rolleyes: ) though I admit they aren't half bad since they manage to create some atmosphere. But when I tried listening to their music at home, the magic was gone.

Saw Saturnus a while back (friend told me it was a progressive band! :rolleyes: ) though I admit they aren't half bad since they manage to create some atmosphere. But when I tried listening to their music at home, the magic was gone.
I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to them. Reading the book Veronika Decides to Die was what sparked my interest, great book. By the way have you ever heard Drudkh? Off topic but I think you would like them, at least their earlier works. Check out False Dawn, on the album Forgotten Legends. Just remember to let yourself get lost within it.

I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to them. Reading the book Veronika Decides to Die was what sparked my interest, great book. By the way have you ever heard Drudkh? Off topic but I think you would like them, at least their earlier works. Check out False Dawn, on the album Forgotten Legends. Just remember to let yourself get lost within it.

Not a big Coelho reader, but I liked that novel. It was a nice way to portray the 'live your life to the fullest' phylosophy/motto/don't know a word for 'thingy' at the moment...

Yes, I like Drudkh. There is a bit of metal scene over the mountain, in Ukraine, also like Kroda and Viter. Ok, False Dawn is on my list then.
If you like Drudkh, try Negura Bunget (it's one of my favorite bands, not only for chauvinistic reasons) and give Martolea a spin.

I still don't really know what kind of metal I really like. I have all kinds of gay shit on my hard drive for some reason. I need to be more patient and better at listening so I can get into more rewarding music. Doom isn't gay but I'm not in the mood for it very often. Except the better Candlemass albums, they're nearly always good.

Urgh.

I still don't really know what kind of metal I really like. I have all kinds of gay shit on my hard drive for some reason. I need to be more patient and better at listening so I can get into more rewarding music. Doom isn't gay but I'm not in the mood for it very often. Except the better Candlemass albums, they're nearly always good.

Urgh.

Think what genre your 3-5 favorite bands are, if they have been constant for some time. :) That usually shows what you're inclined to.
If not, then sometimes it's easier knowing what you don't like... I have a lot of music I should check out as well, and yes, it does take a lot of time to go through it, but it's totally worth it when you discover something amazing.

Well they're traditional metal, but I'm finding further exploration of that genre less and less rewarding.

What I like and don't like about metal? Just look here:

I can say I like something from almost every genre of metal, though I tend to be picky about my music.
The exceptions would be '-core', raw black metal (Burzum seems to be the exception), never could get into mindless brutal death, doom is quite gay, also the vast majority of female soprano vocals (have nothing against normal or guttural singing) are on my instant fuck off list.

So far I have an affinity for melodic stuff, must be because of my old school/progressive metalhead childhood preference.
I also like the whole black metal/shoegaze sort of metal lately, like Alcest, Fen and the ultimate forum darling, Agalloch.
Well... not quite, but pretty close :D Doom isn't exactly gay, and while I'm not a big fan of black metal I like to spin some Agalloch at times.

Well they're traditional metal, but I'm finding further exploration of that genre less and less rewarding.

Oh, I am in the same situation. Though I stopped complicating and categorizing, also for the sake being of able to present myself shortly. :lol:

Power metal was the genre that continued to feed my need for something new, had a really awesome emerging scene in early 2000's with Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Angra and the like since up until I was @16 I didn't like any extreme vocals. So, power metal fan it was...

Then fate and going out socializing happened and I started to like black metal (Summoning, Satyricon and Nargaroth were the first of the genre that I got into), as well as infectiously 'fun with your beer' folk metal like Korpiklaani, Finntroll and Turisas being played in the one and only town metal pub, followed closely by death metal genres.

So, I guess 'metalhead' or 'metal fan' works best.

What I like and don't like about metal? Just look here:

Well... not quite, but pretty close :D Doom isn't exactly gay, and while I'm not a big fan of black metal I like to spin some Agalloch at times.

Oh, but I like black metal. Just not the one that sounds like it has been recorded in a mountain cave. :) Agalloch are great - go see them live if you get the chance.

Oh, but I like black metal. Just not the one that sounds like it has been recorded in a mountain cave. :) Agalloch are great - go see them live if you get the chance.

As much as I love DSBM, Xasthur sounds like (according to a good friend) "they took a half-decent mic and put it in an empty can of baked beans. They then put the mic and can on the edge of the Grand Canyon. They set up and played from the bottom of the Grand Canyon."

It's been hard for me to get over low production, but slowly but surely I'm getting there. Darkspace is helping a lot.

At the moment im listening to:

Abacinate
The Acacia Strain
After The Burial
Agnostic Front
Zyklon
Warbringer
Whitechapel
Periphery
Venom
Vader
Threat Signal
Sylosis
Suffocation
Strapping Young Lad
Sikth
Savage Messiah
The Red Chord
Razed In Black
Protest The Hero
Parkway Drive
Lazarus A.D
Laaz Rockit
Nile
Napalm Death
Necrophagist
Volumes
Ministry
KMFDM
Job For A Cowboy
Trigger The Bloodshed
Impending Doom
The Human Abstract
Heaven Shall Burn
Haste The Day
From Autumn To Ashes
Emmure
Dying Fetus
Devildriver
Destroyer 666
Daath
Cynic
Cryptopsy
Cephalic Carnage
Brain Drill
Botch
Between The Buried And Me
Beneath The Massacre
Bathory
Baptized In Blood
As Blood Runs Black
Arsis

Opinions and any reccomendations? :)

Escape the fate
War of ages
Skillet
BFMV
A7X
some other non metal bands as well

Zolof the rock and roll destroyer
The unlovables

Escape the fate
War of ages
Skillet
BFMV
A7X
some other non metal bands as well

Zolof the rock and roll destroyer
The unlovables

Try out:
Icon In Me (Metalcore)
Between the Buried and Me (Progresive Metalcore)
Protest The Hero (Progressive Metalcore)
Gojira (Death Metal)
ANY Melodic Death Metal (In Flames, At The Gates, Insomnium, Scar Symmetry are good starts)