The Top 5 List Thread

5 fun music format firsts:

1st cassette I got (excluding children's stories etc.): Billy Joel - The River of Dreams
1st CD I got: Backstreet Boys - Backstreet's Back (thanks Uncle Neil)
1st vinyl record I got: Headless Chickens - Expecting to Fly
1st shellac record I got (and only so far): International Novelty Quartet - Słodkie Fijołki
1st mp3 I downloaded: Bad Religion - Chasing the Wild Goose, most likely. I still vaguely remember the list of mp3 links, so it was probably the first such website I found.

5 most painful things that suck and/or are shit
...that I experienced as an adult would be something like:

1. Thigh muscle cramp
2. Calf muscle cramp
3. Bruised rib - due to longevity... not sure if it was fractured at the time, but it's the bruise that hurts rather than the break in my experience - sore for 1 month and then 2 months later someone elbowed me gently on the exact fucking spot and it was sore again for another 2 months
4. Nasal cauterisation - noticeably more painful than the nose & sinus surgery the week prior that led to this shit
5. Well ok, yeah, living, especially when I had a week of depression from post-traumatic stress once

Reactions: CiG
Oooohhh I can have a go at that.

1st cassette: Split Enz - Corroboree
1st CD: AC/DC - For Those About To Rock
1st vinyl LP: Motorhead - No Sleep At All
1st 45: Richmond VFL Football Club theme song
1st 78: If The Man In The Moon Were A Coon - Tommy Dorsey and his Clambake 7
1st MP3: Pretty sure it was Metallica straight off Naptser to piss Lars off. (obviously my download was the one that broke him!)

Top 5 releases of July:

a4181944532_10.jpg

1. Goatsnake - Goatsnake
Their pre-debut album demo recordings unreleased until now.

a2506039898_10.jpg

2. Nuclear Remains - Dawn of Eternal Suffering

a2612307938_10.jpg

3. 16 / Deadbird / Nightstick / Fistula - Cadaver Monuments

a1544928546_10.jpg

4. G.U.N. - G.U.N.

a2326916619_10.jpg

5. Soil of Ignorance - Through the Portal

A list of the first 5 45's that I bought is a little more embarrassing.
1. Richmond Football Club Theme Song
2. Up Their Cazaly - Mike Brady
3. I Got You - Split Enz
4. Xanadu - Olivia
5. Moscow - Genghis Khan (Moskau - Dschinghis Khan)

• Haha
Reactions: CiG
1st cassette I got: Rodney Rude but I don't remember which.
1st CD I got: The Blues Brothers - Soundtrack
1st CD single I got: Wu-Tang Clan - Gravel Pit (or Usher but I forget which song)
1st vinyl record I got: The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of... (I might've had a few records already, but the 2008 Sundazed reissue of this is what got me into record collecting and was the first brand new LP I ever bought)
1st shellac record I got: Patsy Cline - Walkin' After Midnight / A Poor Man's Roses
1st laserdisc I got: Enya - Moon Shadows
1st mp3 I downloaded: "Burn No Bridges" by Gray Matter in high school

first cassette i got: blur - the great escape
first cd i got: space - tin planet
first tune i downloaded: final fantasy vii midis
first mp3 i downloaded: it might be that stupid fake SOAD legend of zelda theme lol
first cassette my dad snapped in half because he discovered my friends and i had recorded ourselves swearing on the b-side: queen greatest hits

1st cassette: Guns and Roses - Use Your Illusion II
1st CD: Alice Cooper - Schools Out
1st vinyl LP: That I owned: A Halloween sounds and spooky story record from growing up back in the 80s. That I paid money for: Exhumed - Necrocracy
1st DVD: Shadow of the Vampire
1st Bluray: Evil Dead II
1st mp3: probably something from Slayer...I went nuts on Napster and then Audiogalaxy for a while there in the earls 2000s.

lol that's such a random 1st dvd

i was a little late for napster but i used so much other shit for downloading over the years. audiogalaxy, kazaa, imesh, soulseek, direct connect, winmx, morpheus, limewire, emule, torrents, random blogs with rapidshare/megaupload/mediafire links.... i feel like i used p much all of these at one point or another. i liked audiogalaxy 'cause it actually had a website you could browse.

Reactions: zerostatic
I downloaded almost every metal, punk & industrial/weird mp3 that New Zealand artists had shared on mp3.com. I also went nuts on Napster, and when that went down I preferred audioGnome and also discovered all the mp3 sharing going on in IRC servers. I kept sharing music on UnderNet on IRC for more than a decade I think!

The 1st DVD I got was The Exorcist while visiting Japan as a teen in 1999. Then since I was terrible at Japanese I momentarily panicked that it might not have the English audio and bothered a hotel maid who was nearby, but she just thought I wanted to watch it on the tiny CRT TV in the room. I had no idea about DVD regions at the time, but on our PC at home you could change regions a few times before it locked so no problem watching it. Once we got a DVD player I soon learnt from a friend that you could just go online and look up unlock sequences to punch into the remote and make your player region-free.

I was thinking the same thing when I read it. I know the first one I watched was Titanic because we watched it on a drunken deep sea fishing trip off Newcastle one night. But I didn't own a DVD player until about 2002. It did come with a few DVD's but I don't remember what they were.

Top 5 releases of September:

a2098726618_10.jpg

1. Undergang - De syv stadier af fordærv

a2784281918_10.jpg

2. Maggot Heart - Hunger

a1985675900_10.jpg

3. Farscape - Purged and Forgotten

a2928282323_10.jpg

4. Blood Oath - Lost in an Eternal Silence

wrgrh.jpg
5. Forgotten Cult - The Stench of the Morbid Pit

Reactions: RadicalThrasher