the "translate please" thread

hyena

counterclockwise
Apr 13, 2002
-
since we the forum people (...) tend to listen to music in more than one language, i thought that a thread for asking kind people for kind translations of lyrics we don't understand was in order.

now, i need someone german... i've become a huge rammstein fan for some reason, and now i have to know what "spiel mit mir" means. at least the title. i can't go around all day singing words to which i don't know the meaning.

thanks!

edit: bad grammar in the morning

I've took 4 years of high school and college German, so I could help you out a little. Just a little. If not, there's always Rammstein lyric translation pages, like this one to "Mein Herz brennt" http://www.maxlyrics.com/songView/10438

Haha, good one. Rammstein, well, they have simple yet ambiguous lyrics as Opi said. Another such song would be "Du hast". Now, that's how it's spelt and it fixes the meaning on "You have". But it is homophonous to "Du haßt" which means "You hate". And because the singer/speaker *g* presents the texts piece by piece you don't know which one of the two it is until later on.

Anyway, I'm willing to do translations if anyone has some German lyrics.

opacity said:
yeah, but always be aware that rammstein lyrics are ambiguous. so waht seems nasty could be interpreted as a serious statement too
Maybe it's a cultural and literature thing. I remember reading some poems and short stories by Kafka, in which words are "short" and takes on different meanings... which reminds me of Rammstein lyrics.

Kafka and Rammstein...that's a comparison I haven't seen before. Both are in a way very reductionalist with words. Very precise and simple, yet so manifold.

I don't think "Du hast" (You have) should be interpreted as "Du haßt" (You hate) because it goes on like this:

Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab' nichts gesagt
(You've asked me and I didn't say anything)

Willst Du bis der Tod euch scheidet, treu ihr sein für alle Tage... NEIN!
(Do you want until death divorces you be faithful to her every day... NO)
This line is a (more or less) word - for - word translation, so no grammar in it! *g* It is the same thing a priest asks you when you want to marry you girlfriend. So it deals with faith in your partner and the (possible) impossibility of this.

Don't understand me wrong, I don't think it's impossible!!!

Schwedentod said:
I don't think "Du hast" (You have) should be interpreted as "Du haßt" (You hate) because it goes on like this:

Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab' nichts gesagt
(You've asked me and I didn't say anything)

Willst Du bis der Tod euch scheidet, treu ihr sein für alle Tage... NEIN!
(Do you want until death divorces you be faithful to her every day... NO)
This line is a (more or less) word - for - word translation, so no grammar in it! *g* It is the same thing a priest asks you when you want to marry you girlfriend. So it deals with faith in your partner and the (possible) impossibility of this.

Don't understand me wrong, I don't think it's impossible!!!

somber and I were talking about the fragments of sentences that they use which could have a different meaning too.
the full sentence "du hast mich gefragt" cannot be interpreted differently, but only the fragment "du hast/hasst" can indeed :) content-wise it's possible too: she hates him, because he has not answered as she wished.
yes, of course it's written down as "hast" not "hasst" but rammstein are ambiguous after all.

I don't think it's impossible!!!
yeah :)

What Opi said. Rammstein deliberately play with the meaning by only uttering "Du hast / haßt". The solution comes one step later, of course, at which point it is clear that it only means "Du hast". In the English version, however, Rammstein apparently went the other way.

rahvin said:
i can do it if no native french speaker is around. i'm a bit busy with work as of now, but i'll probably have more time tonight.

there's more french lyrics I'm interested in, so enough work for anyone willing :D ;)