the "translate please" thread

Can the holders of the knowledge of all that is Latin help with this?

Mea Culpa, Ecce Signum, Corpus Vile, Coram Deo
Pactum Serva, Scala Caeli, Gloria Patri, Pax Et Bonum
Sine Cura, Vade Mecum, Casus Belli, Lusus Naturae
Dies Illa, Velut Luna, Dona Es Virtum

I have to undust my Latin dictionary, but let's give you those I know off the top of my head.

Mea culpa = My fault

Ecce signum = Behold the sign

Corpus vile = worthless body, i.e. you can treat something/one as you wish (e.g. use it/him/her for experiments)

Gloria patri = Glory to the father (used in prayers)

Pax et bonum = Peace and the good (motto of Francis of Assisi)

Since cura = without care

Vade Mecum = Go with me (and it's a chewing gum, too)

Casus Belli = lit. event of war, i.e. event that triggers the war (usually only the last one e.g. the assassination of Franz Ferdinand)

Lusus naturae = Freak of nature

Dies illa = lit. that day (from Carmina Burana: "dies irae, dies illa solvet saeclum in favilla" --> "Day of wrath, that day dissolves the age into ash")

Velut luna = like the moon (again from Carmina Burana)

Have you been to Vorarlberg? You wouldn't understand them very well. At least people from the East can't. Their accent is much closer to Schweizerdeutsch than to anything else. No wonder, they both speak Allemanic accents.

No, I haven't been there. What probably helps me understand Austrian dialects somewhat is that I am an Allgäuer and here some people also tend to speak a dialect which goes in an Allemanic direction. A bunch of Allemanic goods were actually dug up in the village I live in and we also have two hill graves of two chiefs.
I think I have a picture somewhere on my computer. I will go look for it.

edit: seems as if I deleted it. I can take another one though.

@siren: are those the lyrics to something? it sounds like a bit of a joke, as if someone threw together a bunch of well-known Latin expressions that survived in several modern languages and composed a ditty with them. The Sine Cura / Vade Mecum line is especially funny; both of these expressions exist in Italian, collapsed into sinecura and vademecum respectively. Out of the many possible meanings, these are the ones that prevailed historically: a sinecura is now meant to represent a light assignment or job, and a vademecum is meant to indicate a manual, a how-to.

No, I haven't been there. What probably helps me understand Austrian dialects somewhat is that I am an Allgäuer and here some people also tend to speak a dialect which goes in an Allemanic direction. A bunch of Allemanic goods were actually dug up in the village I live in and we also have two hill graves of two chiefs.
I think I have a picture somewhere on my computer. I will go look for it.

edit: seems as if I deleted it. I can take another one though.

Yes, you are closer to Austrian dialects, I guess. The South of Germany has always been more inclined towards their Austrian kin. :) Austrians going to Bavaria never have the feeling of being totally alien (and vice versa, I would assume).

@ Hyena: Interesting about the expressions surviving in Italian, albeit with a semantic change. See? This is what fascinates me about language. Of course, the Romance languages are not exactly my field of expertise.

@ Hyena: Interesting about the expressions surviving in Italian, albeit with a semantic change. See? This is what fascinates me about language. Of course, the Romance languages are not exactly my field of expertise.

I do love linguistics, but it's just a hobby, I'm as amateur as they come. At the moment, I'm really interested in the behavioral science/neuroscience angle, helped along by a friend who is a researcher in computational linguistics. It's more or less the only thing I wish I had more time for.

I do love linguistics, but it's just a hobby, I'm as amateur as they come. At the moment, I'm really interested in the behavioral science/neuroscience angle, helped along by a friend who is a researcher in computational linguistics. It's more or less the only thing I wish I had more time for.

You are venturing more towards the natural science side of linguistics then. I must admit, I know next to nothing on this field. I am at home in historical linguistics, pragmatics and a bit of sociolinguistics. I am not really a dissecter of language, although at one time I did this corpus research on word order in Old English, which was basically just counting types and tokes from the text.

what's a toke? sorry for being ignorant. :)

i can see the moderator frothing at the mouth (all that dwarven root beer!) for all the chatting outside the yellow lines, but this thread is about translations, so i'm half-justified.

what's a toke? sorry for being ignorant. :)

i can see the moderator frothing at the mouth (all that dwarven root beer!) for all the chatting outside the yellow lines, but this thread is about translations, so i'm half-justified.

Yikes! Not a "toke". What ghastly word! I meant "token" of course. I am not good enough (yet *g*) to invent my own terminology.

aaaah ok. the only 'toke' that came to my mind was the one that is synonim with 'drag' and goes with cigarettes and joints. i'm glad there is not some higher hidden meaning that i didn't know about :p

@siren: are those the lyrics to something?
Yeah they're the lyrics to a Diablo Swing Orchestra song. I imagined that it's just a bunch of phrases thrown together, but i had the faint hope that there was some possible story/meaning that could come from them.

Yeah they're the lyrics to a Diablo Swing Orchestra song. I imagined that it's just a bunch of phrases thrown together, but i had the faint hope that there was some possible story/meaning that could come from them.

No, apparently just someone wanting to show off their school Latin phrases. ;)

No, apparently just someone wanting to show off their school Latin phrases. ;)

As a matter of fact it sounds like a latin professor going postal. :loco: Cant blame him, ehhhh today's youngsters :heh:

I wish I could find Tristania's Beyond The Veil choruses lyrics, all those gregorian chanting are soo cooool, but i could only find the singed parts, by Morten (i m not norwegian gay metaller, but if so he d be in danger) and Vikebe (i ll spare u, she s really cute).

As a matter of fact it sounds like a latin professor going postal. :loco: Cant blame him, ehhhh today's youngsters :heh:

Like the fake Latin My Dying Bride lyrics on their first album. :rolleyes:
Actually, there was a book once (in German) called "Latin for Show-Offs". Basically a collection of all sorts of phrases.

Like the fake Latin My Dying Bride lyrics on their first album. :rolleyes:
Actually, there was a book once (in German) called "Latin for Show-Offs". Basically a collection of all sorts of phrases.

Might as well pick any dictionary that is worthy of mention and memorize the list of all commonly used Latin expressions. Our very own Petit Larousse, though pathetic in the field of descriptions, offers a reasonable amount of Latin maxims and sayings.

Our very own Petit Larousse, though pathetic in the field of descriptions, offers a reasonable amount of Latin maxims and sayings.

Bingo

You brought up to my mind the fact that said maxims and sayings change slightly from place to place - try walking in my shoes in italian is actually try dressing in my clothes (italy-fashion-you know), and since the thread is "translate please" i m kinda curious...may be an entertaining topic. Entertain the notion of impending dooooooooooooooooooooooom :)

well, from Basel it´s pretty much ten meters to the German border, so you weren´t exactly in deep forest/mountains/valleys ;D It´s a lovely town, I agree :)

Hehe yeah :) , I remember my "aunt's" indications: "Be sure to take the bus on the Swiss side or else you'll end up in Berlin instead of Zurich" :lol::lol::lol: .

Delirious said:
after and before. or, well, there's some finnish on visor om slutet, but that's besides the point. the difference katla's departure made was that the quality dropped significantly. apparently, there's a beast in trollhammaren that rides among the shadows "like an black trees"...

Haha ok so I won't try to learn Swedish by reading Finntroll's lyrics.

So how are "Ur Jordens Djup's" lyrics?

Are they :puke: ?