The (Un)official write anything you want page

Taking biblical quotes out of context does not disprove God. Arguing that logic and reason side with the impossibility of God does not work. Most atheists argue against religion, NOT God. And religion is hardly a credible source on God.

Taking biblical quotes out of context does not disprove God. Arguing that logic and reason side with the impossibility of God does not work. Most atheists argue against religion, NOT God. And religion is hardly a credible source on God.

Where else is God proposed? God is proposed through religion, and making a logical arguments sayin that the god proposed is illogical, immoral, and not possible shows that that god cannot exist. The bible has so many contradictions (so many that theist try to pick and choose what is metaphorical and literal), so many absurdities, and shows the god is immoral, that the god that most christians claim does not exist. The book is fiction, so logically the god that is in there is exactly the same a zeus.The problem of evil is a perfect example of the showing that the proposed god cannot exist. In conjunction with the following books is enough evidence for me to dismiss the gods that have been proposed by man:

God: The Failed Hypothesis..., which states that the gods that have been proposed to mankind are improbable, and there is no need for one to exist through science; however, this does not include a deistic god, because we cannot comment on a deistic god because it does not interfere with man. If you attach a first cause god, like the deistic god you are answering a question with a much larger question.

Also, Dawkins' The God Delusion is about how science can test to see if a god exists, that the existence of a god is very improbable, and the god is not needed for life.

[assumption]Also you're acting like you think atheism is another religion, which that is clearly not the case. [/assumption]

Most atheists like Dorian (I assume), TheGreatDeceiver, Dodens, and I are atheists because there is not evidence supporting the idea of a god, and science has much better explanations of our origian and how we came to be; moreover, science is always changing giving us the best knowledge of our universe. I, if provided with the evidence that there is a god, would become a theist because I would have no choice. The evidence demands it, but worshiping that immoral cunt of the bible is different.

Through the internet and random chats, this is how atheists I've come accross have been.

Speaking of religion, I was at work today and the doorbell rang. Students don't usually ring the doorbell so I was wondering who the fuck it might be but just continued preparing some things and let my boss answer it. I heard some general niceties exchanged in Japanese and apparently the visitor was on their way. A second later my boss tip-toed in and whispered "Jehovah's Witness!"

Yeah, even Japan isn't safe.

Most atheists like Dorian and I are atheists because there is not evidence supporting the idea of a god, and science has much better explanations of our origin and how we came to be; moreover, science is always changing giving us the best knowledge of our universe. I, if provided with the evidence that there is a god, would become a theist because I would have no choice. The evidence demands it, but worshiping that immoral cunt of the bible is different.

That's about right.

[assumption]Also you're acting like you think atheism is another religion, which that is clearly not the case. [/assumption]

Bingo. Clearly it's not the case, but most atheists speak and act with more self righteousness and preachy attitudes than most religious folk I know.

I do appreciate that the american version of atheism is a bit more polarised than the rest of the world's, in that you do a lot of arguing over creationism/evolutionism. I think as soon as that argument comes to rest, there'll be a lot of progress on both sides.

Nico speaks well.

I'm all about coming to terms my own personal gnosis, but not on the terms of any literal interpretations of purposely mythological documents, nor from the mythology surrounded by a discipline of 'knowledge' that by its own definition will eternally remain imperfect. A little bit of both is required for practical survival, however.

</occultfascisttraditionalistscepticnihiliststoicepicureancommunistnazinazinazi>

I don't want or need a "god" controlling my life, out of a fear tactic that i will go to hell and burn if i "sin".

I'm of the view that religious people are actually very weak minded individuals and all that organised religion is is a control mechanism to keep people down and under control.

I could rant on for hours here but i won't because unlike the atheists Nico seems to know i HATE being badgered at about religion so won't force my believes on anyone. I went to a christian school and had it rammed into me for years, this is actually the main reason i am against any form of organised religion.

At the end of the day, if you want to be believe in god, fine, do it if it helps you sleep at night and feel happy about your life good for you, i wish you well. What i hate is people pushing believes upon me and acting above me because they are christian and i am not.

MajestikMøøse;6351476 said:
Nico speaks well.

I'm all about coming to terms my own personal gnosis, but not on the terms of any literal interpretations of purposely mythological documents, nor from the mythology surrounded by a discipline of 'knowledge' that by its own definition will eternally remain imperfect. A little bit of both is required for practical survival, however.

</occultfascisttraditionalistscepticnihiliststoicepicureancommunistnazinazinazi>

Why is it required? I've lived the last 3 years without it at all, and other have done it their whole life?

Bingo. Clearly it's not the case, but most atheists speak and act with more self righteousness and preachy attitudes than most religious folk I know.

I do appreciate that the american version of atheism is a bit more polarised than the rest of the world's, in that you do a lot of arguing over creationism/evolutionism. I think as soon as that argument comes to rest, there'll be a lot of progress on both sides.

The reason I think it appears that way is because people don't understand atheism, look down upon us, and generally hated us. We want to help other people realize what atheism is, and how silly their beliefs are. Also, atheists want people to start opening debates about religion because right now it's something that people aren't supposed to debate about.

Yawn. What an extremely shallow way of looking at religion. Sure, the understanding of religion that the people who they criticize have is absurd and foolish. But is that representative for all religions? Of course not. There are more to religions than the naive (not used in a derogatory way) understanding of the great number of believers; but these people lack the means, both spiritually/intellectually as well as institutionally, to gain a deeper understanding, and have to settle for this simple way of looking at religion. That this outlook is easily refuted (with logic -- how useful that is when dealing with these things is another question) obviously has no impact on the mystery of religion on a greater scale.

Besides, is it really impossible that we moderns have lost and forgotten about a sense for the divine which has been present in mankind since the dawn of time? I personally believe that's very possible.
As an example, to illustrate lack of intellectual/spiritual capacity as well as institutions: consider a person who spends a lot of his time in the woods, gathering his food there, tracking animals. One day he's accompanied by a person who has lived in a town his entire life. This person has been told, and firmly believes in the fact, that wild animals don't leave any tracks when they move about. The city people who has taught him this have indeed spent some time in the woods, have looked around, seen animals, but haven't seen any tracks. They have then returned to their cities, and smugly laughed at the old accounts of people being able to track animals, when in fact these old brutes were just randomly floundering about were they knew from experience that animals moved.

Will then this city person who accompanies the woods man see any animal tracks in the woods? No, of course not, because tracks are hard to see, and you need to develop a sense for it. Hence the city boy will boldly declare that wild animals do not leave any tracks and be satisfied.
Not an optimal allegory perhaps, but I guess my point gets through anyway.

Anyway: just my two cents; no need to start a great discussion unless someone's urge is very great.

Why is it required? I've lived the last 3 years without it at all, and other have done it their whole life?

Well, it's not actually required. Live as you like. I'll argue that exploring a little bit of each will drastically improve your sanity. I'm certainly not arguing that if you go to listen to a priest lecture you on hell once a week it will make you a better person, in fact very much the opposite. Likewise, lectures in Chemistry or Math will never, never give you true, perfect knowledge.

I cannot describe in language what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with ordinary conceptions of what people consider "God" or "Religion". For millennia men have tried to describe what I'm trying to talk about, and all have failed.

I only know one single atheist and he is kind of an asshole about it but he's an asshole about everything. All of my friends here in the South are Christians and most are very serious about it. They're all highly-educated (MS in engineering, MA in English, JD, MD, etc.) and are fairly liberal and relaxed in their approach. Their parents are the ones who seem overzealous, conservative, and preachy. It's like all of them realized how annoying their parent's are and decided to avoid that kind of Christianity.

Nevertheless, I don't believe in anything supernatural, especially a Jew god who created everything and made his subjects do stuff like eliminate each other off the face of his creation. I think it's ridiculous to believe in a god who flooded the earth because he was mad, yet also decided quantum mechanics would be a neat thing to create.