The Vinyl Collectors Thread

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Let's start with Empyrium. Am I right in thinking that the only vinyl you can get is:

-A Wintersunset... 2LP
-Where at Night the Woodgrouse Plays 2LP
-Auszuge aus Weiland 7"
-Weiland 2LP

So "Songs of Moors and Misty Fields" was never released on vinyl???

Are there any other specific albums/releases that you think work better on vinyl than digital?

By the way, Profound Lore Records announced tonight that it's taking pre-orders of The Mantle.

Empyrium HAS to have more than that on vinyl, I think I've seen M.Lehto purchase about 42908 Empyrium albums on wax, and that was just this year! :D

I don't listen to my vinyls, if I had a record player I might, but I generally just get them for collector's items. Mostly black metal and classic rock. Odd combination.

One Inch Man said:
Empyrium HAS to have more than that on vinyl, I think I've seen M.Lehto purchase about 42908 Empyrium albums on wax, and that was just this year! :D

I know - that's what I figured, but I don't think there is (based on what's on their website).

Does anyone know what the Weiland 3xCD version is? I know some of you have it...

I don't listen to my vinyls, if I had a record player I might, but I generally just get them for collector's items. Mostly black metal and classic rock. Odd combination.

I can see how black metal and classic rock will work better on vinyl. Anything recorded in analog will migrate better to the vinyl platter. *waits impatiently for The Bastard - A Tale Told in Three Acts LP*

you know all this vinyl talk makes me want to get a turntable again ... but most likely would only buy old jazz, big band and blues records.

I'm waiting for the day when I became a hardcore vinyl collector, for many years now I generally avoid the vinyl sections in music stores because I know the disease could strike at any moment.

I should watch High Fidelity tonight. :kickass:

It is a filthy disease. Go check turntables on eBay, and it's like walking into a museum of stunning collectors items. There are some going for less than $50 and I'm scared to even venture that far - (may need maintenance, the spare parts are hard to come by, etc), but it looks stunning. Of course, the good turntables are from manufactuers you've never heard of. The Germans seem to know what they're doing in this dept.

Empyrium and Ulver will sound good on vinyl. As will Neil Young.

This one is cheap - 641 quid ($1000):

9a_12_sb.JPG

Buy it Now for only $7,550:

fd_12_sb.JPG

Here's a pic for lurch - one of these are $3,500:

47_12_sb.JPG

And the outstanding Rega at $4000, although you can get a Rega for $500 (for cheap bastards like me):

regap9-L.jpg

I would think it's good to be rich (financially independent, not Bill Gates rich). I don't give a shit what anyone says, but

having lots of money >>> scraping by in life

the thing is if you spend that kind of money on a turntable, your speakers should be about $20 K and a stereo amp for about $10K ... at least.
I used to drool over this kind of equipment for years, but never bought it of course.

The rule of thumb with these turntables, the audiophile ones is one thing ... weight ... they should be super heavy and stable ... less vibration, better sound ... at least this is what they say. Then we go into the $1K cartridge area ... loco is not the word

I got luck with my Vinyl situation... I have my Dad's old hydaulic diamond-tipped 2 speed. Fucking incredible sound, I bought a brand new one like 2 months ago and its quality is shit in comparison. The only thing I don't like is how absolutely sensitive it is.

Yeah... I am really lucky that my Dad is such an audio freak. I want to take some pictures of MY stuff right now, but my camera is dead! Tomorrow I will...

ps- my turntable is apparenly an AR77xb

$10,000. Now is that going to make my 40 year old copy of Abbey Road sound THAT much better than some $100 record player will?