The Vinyl Collectors Thread

One Inch Man said:
$10,000. Now is that going to make my 40 year old copy of Abbey Road sound THAT much better than some $100 record player will?

what is sick about audiophile equipment ... is that is sounds amazing.
some purists tunr on and warm up their equipment for hours before they even put something on.

you will not believe how some stuff sounds ... of course metal ... a $200 Sony will do :D

I'd rather spend that kind of cash on vintage Orange or Sunn amps, or an Ashdown or something. My 12 year old Aiwa shelf system still sounds pretty stellar to these ears. :D

Yeah, I'd love to see someone listening to some black metal demo that cost $400 to record (equipment included) on a $14,000 record player. :loco:

I am going to have wet dreams tonight.

Oh yeah, having shit like this will make your old Abbey Road LP sound PHENOMENAL:

EraGoldVsilver.jpg

Jazzmd.jpg
JazzClubOp.jpg

lurch70 said:
what is sick about audiophile equipment ... is that is sounds amazing.
some purists tunr on and warm up their equipment for hours before they even put something on.

Yeah, valve amps need charging up because they're like big capacitors. I know someone who has a valve amp with NOTHING BUT A VOLUME KNOB (and the off/on switch). Takes him a few minutes before he throws anything on.

This concept of adjusting bass and treble etc on an amp is so gay, it's laughable.

Extreme metal on vinyl? I have no idea. I'd like to try listening to some Celtic Frost on vinyl though.

Hours though? Shit I used to have this old beater amp with 4 giant 6550 and 8 12AX7 tubes and it took about 10 minutes to warm up. Jesus fucking christ that was the loudest 120 watts I've ever heard. Still sorta pissed I traded them shitz for a DOD chorus pedal and some broken lazyboy chair. :zombie:

Here are Empyrium vinyls that I have:

Empyrium: Auszüge Aus Weiland 7" (gatefold, insert) Prophecy Productions PRO-047 2002
Empyrium: Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays 2xpic 7" (gatefold, booklet) Prophecy Productions PRO-014 1999
Empyrium: A Wintersunset DLP (gatefold, booklet) Prophecy Productions PRO-001 1996
Empyrium: Songs of Moors & Misty Fields (pic-vinyl in normal sleeve) Prophecy Productions PRO-007 1997
Empyrium: Weiland DLP (gatefold) Prophecy Productions PRO-047LP 2002

The one I'm still missing is A Wintersunset PicDLP-release. SoMaMF was only released as picture-vinyl and there's no normal version available. Prophecy- and Empyrium-website has some mistakes on their lists, so once in a while I've been forced to email them (Prophecy) about the vinyl-release informations.

When thinking bands that sounds good on vinyl, I'd say most of BM-bands and also these folk-oriented bands.

Hay Jay, the cd arrived? Great!

JayKeeley said:
Does anyone know what the Weiland 3xCD version is? I know some of you have it...
I have this one, it's 3 digisleeves in cartonbox. All cd's have one part of the record, since it's about three facettes of nature, Moorland, Forest and Water. The musical content is the same as normal version.

Vinyl fucking rules, but I broke the needle on my turntable the other day so it's out of commission until I can get a new one.

I don't have any metal LPs as of yet other than a couple Sabbath records and some other less memorable ones, but I can't wait to get my hands on some Celtic Frost or Bathory, they would work so well on vinyl... so would a lot of BM really, maybe some thrash, or Iron Maiden... yeah it's definitely a disease.

That is very cool. Also reading the word "warped" in one of the articles reminded me of this one fateful day when I was 6 years old and I left all my vinyls out on the porch for a few hours, came back outside and they looked like pasta. :erk: Stupid kid!

M.Lehto said:

Empyrium: Songs of Moors & Misty Fields (pic-vinyl in normal sleeve) Prophecy Productions PRO-007 1997

I must have this. If you (or anyone) ever see this for sale anywhere, let me know. I will also collect the others, in no prioritized order.

Hay Jay, the cd arrived? Great!

Yes, thank you. I will review it by this weekend.

M.Lehto said:
I have this one, it's 3 digisleeves in cartonbox. All cd's have one part of the record, since it's about three facettes of nature, Moorland, Forest and Water. The musical content is the same as normal version.

That is pretty cool. To isolate perhaps the greatest, most sombre piece of music of the last 10 years -- "Waldpoesie" -- on to one disc is neat.

I def want Weiland on vinyl - seems wrong to listen to it on CD. :loco:

Thanks but actually I'll probably buy the Weiland 2LP from equilibrium - they have it for 17.50EUR. I'll e-mail them about shipping from Portugal.

Now if you see the Songs of Moors LP.....let me know!

JayKeeley said:
Does anyone know what the Weiland 3xCD version is? I know some of you have it...

Yeah I have it. I actually found it on Ebay and placed a bid early on since I usually forget otherwise, none else bid on it and I got it dirt cheap, I think it was 10 € or thereabouts :]

Here's what it looks like if you're interested.

And also my stereo since everyone else has posted their shit hehe. I recently decided to spend a relativly large sum on a new vinyl player; since I'm listening to so much music is wasn't very hard to justify. It's a Pro-Ject - Debut IIl and it sounds very nice indeed.