The Vinyl/Collector's Thread

yeah, I have nearly 800 records and a couple hundred CDs. I am finding difficulty listening to everything that I have acquired.

haha, I only have 20 vinyls at the moment, I plan to shoot for 5k-6k

I go for black and avoid picture discs these days, because it sounds better.

picture dics can sound pretty nasty, the only ones i hve are Dethklok which I never really intend to play, coloured vinyl on the other hand sounds just as good as black.

Thought i lucked out and got the clear version of Black Math Horseman's full length on discogs..... Dude sends me a message saying oops its the black version thought I'd tell you before i shipped it. Yeah motherfucker youre gonna send me my money back. Black one goes for $15, not double.

50407045-8945-498F-8516-52DF76B18693_zps4w84ebwv.jpg

Lantlos - Metling Sun
Beautiful artwork

CAD63E02-655F-4A03-BB02-B4A75F2AD083_zpshjffym2p.jpg

Woods of Desolation - As The Stars
Love the pink vinyl ;)

06B07C65-D9EC-495B-A566-6E65A7DA7F3F_zpsmfg0xbpi.jpg

Ash Borer - Ash Borer
Beautiful piece of wax:

CA7E7CF3-0D33-4E10-8A66-21E82CB3F391_zpsce5p6dzw.jpg

Been meaning to post these for the longest time and finally got my ass around to it.

So my sexy beyond creation vinyl arrived today, I could not be happier
Ei5d5g6.jpg

HOWEVER, there was a split in the centre of the top seam of the jacket which occured during shipping, the split goes most the way through to the inside but not all of the way but it leaves a really unsightly white section, does anyone know of any way i can mend this so that the white cardboard is less visible? i would be really appreciative if anyone cold let me know as I can only find instructions for repairing complete splits that go all the way through and all the way along the jacket.

8LkacFI.jpg

So hey Kafka (or whoever likes post metal maybe its not you lol), is Dawning by Mouth of the Architect any good? Blind bought it on vinyl because it was $11 on amazon last week (i see its went up since) because of the awesome artwork and the fact that the limited gold vinyl is the only pressing that exists :lol:

Its nothing special.

Im pretty picky when it comes to Post-Metal, and one of the main spoilers for me with the genre in specific is the vocals. MotA's vocalist bothers the fuck out of me, ruining any potential replay value the album couldve had because musically there were some decent moments.

Theres better shit out there to spend your money on, imo.

Just put in an order on discogs for:

Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here
The County Medical Examiners - Olidous Operettas
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var (only one I don't have for some reason)
High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine

Discovered Weirdsville Records the other day and picked up Trouble's The Skull. Haven't listened yet but it looks to be in pretty good condition.

I know record stores are kinda dying out, but I personally don't do the internet shopping thing, so when I stopped in there and saw that, as well as Sleep's Dopesmoker, I was pretty tittylated. I just think it's more fun to be pleasantly surprised by a selection than straight up search for shit I like.

But I'll admit owning vinyl of exactly what I want does have an appeal I may address someday.

Bongripper is repressing Miserable, and will be available to order tomorrow at 10am CDT, through their big cartel page.

Definitely picking one of those up.

http://shop.season-of-mist.com/ne-obliviscaris-citadel-lp-coloured

Grabbed a copy of this before its gone. Its Ne Obliviscaris' new one on the rarest vinyl color (only 100)
I probably have to wait like three months to get it now, but well worth it. If you want a copy, i would not fucking wait.

HAHA NeO Australia :D , I missed their first vinyl, it sold out within 8 minutes of preorders going online, this one was sold at 2 stores, the first one was gone by the time i got to putting my credit card details but i was lucky that SOM had a few left :D

such a rarity

So I've gotten the vinyl bug of late, which I am despising because I want to go back and grab a lot of the old 80s releases on vinyl now...

I want to see if others have noticed what I have. A lot of the modern vinyl releases coming out, have outright sloppy pressings. Meaning, the center punch is not clean (which sometimes causes rips in the sticker at the punch location). I've also noticed the manufacturing on some releases' jackets are sloppily put together, often times giving off a "cheap" feel. I know a lot of labels are pressing to vinyl for the money grab - but would be nice to see a consistent quality to the pressings.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

I haven't noticed a pattern yet as to if it is a certain geographic area putting out the sloppier stuff - maybe someone else can enlighten me?

I have a few where the center holes weren't big enough for the spindle ... had to file them down a little to fit. I've also got a few where the artwork is a little off. One side of one of my Warbrigner album hisses nonstop. Quality control for vinyl just isn't the same as CD's.

Big labels (which sadly own most of the metal classics) dont really put the effort into things they should. Century Media off the top of my head releases bare bones vinyl constantly. Earache records is also an offender, while claiming their releases are full dynamic range... Metal blade's reissues are pretty lame too. For quality stuff, i recommend HHR and NWN, especially their limited editions. They go above and beyond to make fans of the music happy. 20 buck spin usually does a good job too and for a big label, nuclear blast probably puts out the best of the big metal label wax releases. (Better than the others i listed anyway)

^ Agreed.

Smaller labels put more care into their product, and packaging Ive noticed. Ive got so many of my gatefolds fucked by Relapse, including a order cancellation on a pre-order that they did not even tell me about til it was too late. I want to shit in a box and mail it to those bastards.

Sometimes, but rarely, the sticker placement is exactly perfect, but thats cool in my eyes. I like the imperfections (not including smashed gatefolds), makes your vinyl more real and more your own. They arent all made exactly the same, which makes these blemishes part of the process, which I enjoy. (As long as nothing is fucked up on the record itself).

I will give a shoutout to RidingEasy/EasyRider Records for not only being cool dudes, but delivering a product they standby with quality. Never been disappointed with them.

You aren't gonna get a much higher quality record than Blood Music puts out. Can't believe I forgot them. Their dedication to the music shows.