The Vinyl/Collector's Thread

This guy right here is on the mark. A lot of the pristine, shiny new vinyl leaves me a bit cold. I guess a lot of the time who's to know but certainly it makes sense to reproduce analog audio on corresponding equipment. The majority of new LPs are essentially just over sized CDs with gimmicks, sure they may sound "fine" but its kindof a waste of a record really.

Thanks for the support man, sometimes I think it's just me to be unable to understand the utility of some (lots of) releases.
I haven't seen anywhere a sticker "100% original sound" or something else, then I must deduce that the sound has been somehow remastered. So you're right when you talk about "oversized CDs".
More or less I have 4 new LPs, the remaining ones are all first presses, sometimes expensive and sometimes cheaper, but all with the sound I was looking for.

This guy right here is on the mark. A lot of the pristine, shiny new vinyl leaves me a bit cold. I guess a lot of the time who's to know but certainly it makes sense to reproduce analog audio on corresponding equipment. The majority of new LPs are essentially just over sized CDs with gimmicks, sure they may sound "fine" but its kindof a waste of a record really.

In a world where digital sales / illegal downloads comprise the majority of music being distributed to customers, vinyl offers the extreme opposite of what those people own for the collectors of our world. Large art work, aesthetically pleasing values and top of the line audio representation of a release.

There seems to be a (sadly)common misunderstanding by many that if an album is recorded digitally that while it is pressed on vinyl it wont sound any better than on a CD, etc. Of course this is bogus unless the actual recording of the material is done in CD bit rates or lower (which doesn't happen unless those who produced / engineered the release gave no care to the release, and only had bottom of the line equipment to work with). So long as those pressing the records have the master on hand, they're good.

There seems to be a (sadly)common misunderstanding by many that if an album is recorded digitally that while it is pressed on vinyl it wont sound any better than on a CD, etc. Of course this is bogus unless the actual recording of the material is done in CD bit rates or lower (which doesn't happen unless those who produced / engineered the release gave no care to the release, and only had bottom of the line equipment to work with). So long as those pressing the records have the master on hand, they're good.

As a simple collector, how can I recognize if a modern vinyl has something more than a cd if both are the result of a digital mastering?

Some places master vinyl and CDs separately. Not all do, however. In the latter cases, you're right that the vinyl is no better, and in fact probably worse.

As a simple collector, how can I recognize if a modern vinyl has something more than a cd if both are the result of a digital mastering?

Simply because it is digitally mastered doesn't mean they will be putting the same master on bbothproducts. Digital mastering doesn't = CD Mastering.

Portal - Outre is out now on HHR. Black vinyl, bronze and black swirl, or picture disk. Bought this one too, since I already have swarth and seepia on vinyl.

LPoutreCOLOR.jpg

HHR is pumping out awesome shot.

Grandma dun bought me some records for Xmas.

WRATHPRAYER - The Sun Of Moloch: The Sublimation Of Sulphu<br>r's Essence Which Spawned Death And Life (12" Gatefold LP)
ARMOURED ANGEL - Angel Of The Sixth Order (12" LP)
DEMONS GATE - Demons Gate (12" Gatefold MLP)
DESOLATION ANGELS - Feels Like Thunder (12" 5x LP Box Set w/ 7" EP)
BLACK SABBATH - Dehumanizer (12" Gatefold DOUBLE LP)
CIRCLE OF OUROBORUS - Streams (12" LP)
CIRCLE OF OUROBORUS - Avain Ja Veitsi (12" LP)
ACCEPT - Balls To The Wall (12" Gatefold LP)
ACCEPT - Metal Heart (12" Gatefold LP)
ACCEPT - Stalingrad (Brothers In Death) (12" Gatefold DOUBLE LP)

Holy shit. Incantation - Diabolical Conquest dlp on HHR this November. Black or colored vinyl with a special etching on side D. One of my favorite death metal albums of all time.

Yar, saw that before falling asleep last night / this morning. I'm plotting a big order from them, but I'd like to get as much of it in a single shipment as possible...I just hope prints don't sell out before that order is made.

A new Acid Witch shirt design should be up and ready to purchase by the time the Witchtanic Hellucinations vinyl reissue hits their site as well.

Really bummed it got delayed. Oh well. I order from them a lot, because I only live a state away. Priority shipping for a single lp is less than six bucks for me.

Anyone interested in a copy of anthrax - fistful of metal/armed and dangerous? It's triple 10 inch vinyls, two are red the other red and white. I'll post pics if someone is interested.

What do you guys use to hunt down your vinyls?

Besides checking label websites, I use Discogs and Ebay...Used to use CDandLP but that shit is way too exspensive now...Discogs is getting exspensive too, I need to find more means to find shit...