the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Nothing Left by As I Lay Dying. My personal favorite from them.

EDIT: I just got The Powerless Rise (FINALLY). I'm still on the first song. I like it so far. He finally brought diversity to his screaming. High to Low and so on. Love it. :D

Finally an AILD fan!!!!!! score man!

Blind Guardian - A Voice in the Dark

Nice! That song (and War of the Thrones) got me to read the A Song of Ice and Fire series. They're top-notch fantasy, if a little adult.

Blind Guardian - "The Soulforged". This great one got me to dig out the old 1980s fantasy books it's based on and reread them! (The Dragonlance saga, starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight.)

Anybody into HB? I had never heard of them before today. This video is getting the royal beatdown by the ProgPower crowd in their forum (not surprising), but I'm finding I really like it. The lyrics are cheesy, but good cheesy. It's catchy and her voice is really nice when she's singing in the higher register.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vM-w8z6D0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vM-w8z6D0[/ame]

I've got their album 'Frozen Inside'.
Their lyrics are unbelievably cheesy. I enjoy their music, just wish their lyrics were a bit more...deep.
I also wish they didn't follow so closely to Nightwish (seriously, do you need a guy with a bandana too?).

"I can't be ashamed of your name" go the lyrics.... well yes I can.
If I was a major fan of Manchester Utd. the football club....which I'm not, but anyways. If I was I'd be pissed to no end to hear a chant go "Kick the ball, huzzah, it's gonna be a goal, use your legs to run, you are the greatest team in history"

I agree with the cheesiness commentary, ****, I listened to this album in Finnish and I loved every bit of it, now that sounds harsh but I did, it was great. If I had known that the direct translation was "Jesus metal explosion" the first thing that would've come to my mind would have to be "Trolls."

I agree with the cheesiness commentary, ****, I listened to this album in Finnish and I loved every bit of it, now that sounds harsh but I did, it was great. If I had known that the direct translation was "Jesus metal explosion" the first thing that would've come to my mind would have to be "Trolls."

Err, not sure the language was really necessary.
I don't think the direct translation is Jesus Metal Explosion.
Ah, just checked it out.
"Piikki Lihassa" means "Thorn in the Side".
"Pääkallonpaikka" means "Place of the Skull".

So now my guess would be they make an awesome album with reasonable lyrics in Finnish. Then write new lyrics for the English release of the album. :/

Err, not sure the language was really necessary.
I don't think the direct translation is Jesus Metal Explosion.
Ah, just checked it out.
"Piikki Lihassa" means "Thorn in the Side".
"Pääkallonpaikka" means "Place of the Skull".

So now my guess would be they make an awesome album with reasonable lyrics in Finnish. Then write new lyrics for the English release of the album. :/

I agree to a certain point, but I'd rather blow off steam that way than deal with an ulcer because of bottling bad emotions. Profanity still beats personal insults.
Stating how an individuals mother portrays the role of a sexual street performer in an exquisite manner may sound nicer but in reality... :p

I didn't mean that it was directly translated, I figured they wouldn't make a song titled JME in Finnish :p

My point still stands... you simply can't.. do that with lyrics.

(One of the reasons I love On Eagles Wings and Rudolph vs Frosty is the flow, it's great grammatically and syntactically)

Well, I'm now hooked on this song, as well as It Is Time. As such, I just ordered this new album and Frozen Inside based on those two songs. Hope I don't regret the limited knowledge purchase...

I listened to Frozen Inside, Piikki Lihassa and The Jesus Metal Explosion. In that order. And the albums have the same order on my fav list. (Sorry for my English. ;)) I listened to TJME only once. Piikki Lihassa sounds much better, but Frozen Inside is the best of them for me.

And I don't have the lyrics problem. The music and vocals are well done and I enjoy them. I roughly know the meaning of the lyrics and it's enough for me. If I fully understand and be aware of the lyrics I couldn't listen to that music while I'm working. It's probably the reason why I don't listen to Czech (or Slovak) music a lot. :lol:

Scandinavian Metal Praise (that's what I'm currently listening to ;)).

If you would like to listen to this, warning should be done to those who describe Christian Liljegren's stuff as "cheesy" (but this is not his project I think). ;)

Good call, I listened to a song on youtube, through a friend, and the cheesiness didn't strike me as those songs are designed to seem preachy, even the name says it.

But it's the wrong direction to take when you're a poppy metal band like HB... I don't know, I just feel like it works with SMP but it doesn't with HB... I guess you just need a 3 letter acronym.

Good call, I listened to a song on youtube, through a friend, and the cheesiness didn't strike me as those songs are designed to seem preachy, even the name says it.

But it's the wrong direction to take when you're a poppy metal band like HB... I don't know, I just feel like it works with SMP but it doesn't with HB... I guess you just need a 3 letter acronym.

:D

Which song did you listen to?

This si the example of lyrics which is easy to understand and, despite of this, it doesn't distract me while I'm working. I don't think it's cheesy. As you say, it's a praise.:)

I think SMP has an advantage over the others. The artists are unknown...

I can't really recall other than Wonderful God.

The band is sort of....designed to bring the message in a metal format.

And with HB it just seems as the band is designed to bring metal, but they want to preach the message.

I can't really recall other than Wonderful God.

The band is sort of....designed to bring the message in a metal format.

And with HB it just seems as the band is designed to bring metal, but they want to preach the message.

Interesting observation. It didn't come on my mind since I don't translate the whole (HB) lyrics, I enjoy the music. But you're right, I prefer praising music to preaching as well. That's probably the reason why my favourite song by HB is God Has All Glory. :)

"I can't be ashamed of your name" go the lyrics.... well yes I can.
If I was a major fan of Manchester Utd. the football club....which I'm not, but anyways. If I was I'd be pissed to no end to hear a chant go "Kick the ball, huzzah, it's gonna be a goal, use your legs to run, you are the greatest team in history"

Can you elaborate? I have read this 10 times and I can't make heads or tails of it. I must be missing something.

What's the issue with that line of the song and what in the world does soccer/football have to do with it? :confused:

Can you elaborate? I have read this 10 times and I can't make heads or tails of it. I must be missing something.

What's the issue with that line of the song and what in the world does soccer/football have to do with it? :confused:

I live in Split, a town that takes pride in Hajduk, the soccer club, this year was its 100th anniversary and the whole town was festive, I urge you to watch this video as to see what took part at 00:00 on its birthday.

The folk here support the club passionately and it would ~suck~tremendously if the chants at games came down to blatant phrases which take away all the fun from cheering and make you feel just plain silly.
Reading lyrics should be fun, think of your favorite band for instance (Theocracy or other) and look at the lyrics; that's some really powerful material, and it's written neatly and you never get the feeling it's filler.

With HB I feel like I'm in 1st grade RE class and I'm learning of Moses and the burning bush... The secular world (to whom they should be aiming their music at) will have nothing to do with lyrics such as those, they're overly preachy and cheesy, it just doesn't cut it. As Christians we might enjoy the message but to be fair we don't need it, Jesus didn't come to save the believers. Even still, I as a Christian don't like the way they write lyrics. HB's music is great, really, but the lyrics are sub-par.

Last edited by a moderator:
The folk here support the club passionately and it would ~suck~tremendously if the chants at games came down to blatant phrases which take away all the fun from cheering and make you feel just plain silly.

Reminds me of the "Manchester United" song performed by Scotty and Cooper in Eurotrip. :kickass: :lol: (Sorry for offtopic.)

Reinxeed - Higher (Dragonfly) :)