the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Okay, Skillet was my first favorite band, but I don't consider them metal by any stretch. And really, you have no foundation for your consideration, so it's what a logical person might call an "arbitrary belief" ;)

Heart Collector - Nevermore

Not literally a textbook, but metal is defined by the guitars, partly drums, partly bass, partly keyboards if present, and partly vocals. Skillet fits the guitar and vocals, the keyboards are ok, idk about the bass, and the drums are hard bu not heavy. But they are somewhat metal in that respect at least :p

The 'problem' with metal is is that it has such a rich variety of subgenres, it's hard to define metal as a particular style of music. I always like to associate it with 'awesome'; if something is awesome, it must be metal (and vice versa!). Not much of a textbook definition, but still legit I guess.=Þ

Not literally a textbook, but metal is defined by the guitars, partly drums, partly bass, partly keyboards if present, and partly vocals. Skillet fits the guitar and vocals, the keyboards are ok, idk about the bass, and the drums are hard bu not heavy. But they are somewhat metal in that respect at least :p

You just said it yourself - "metal is defined by" - meaning there are other genres with guitars, but metal has a specific criteria for guitarwork. The only thing of Skillet's even close to technical enough is Whispers in the Dark, and that's still a long shot. And ever since Lori left, their drums have been weak.

I really like that one, but my favorite is still the title track. :p

Love that one too, as well as I AM (actually I love all of the album), which were originally the top contenders.

Liv Kristine - Deus Ex Machina

Her solo material (at least the album I've heard) is NOTHING like Leaves' Eyes. It's not even metal - its some sort of ambient new age-y stuff. But I like it. It's got this soft, hypnotic quality - perfect to chill to.

Telephone Line - Electric Light Orchestra

ELO is the exception that proves the rule for me, when it comes to not being metal but still really awesome.