the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Geeve eeet to me!!!

Is it Iced Earth 2.0 or is it something different? I'm going to see them next week and I have no idea what to expect!

Gonna have to say YES, there are 3 difference that I noticed as a musician.

1 Freddie is a much better lead player than most of what IE ever had.

2 Van's Drum style is far different than the drummers for IE

3 Matt's vocal style covers a lot of his time in IE, from his more aggressive days on Burnt offerings to the melancholy sound on SWTWC and Dark Saga.

All in all it is a slightly more thrashy sounding IE, but it IS good.

Okay people, I need some mind-blowing Christian or Christian-friendly progressive rock and metal.

Listening non-stop to Ashes of Ares streamign on terrorizer's site.

Its pretty great. If they had just ripped off Jon Schaffers chugga chugga guitar work, it would be masterpieceful.

Here's a couple tunes from a prog band called A Thousand Shields. I think I found their album by searching "Christian metal" on ebay. I don't think I have read mention of them anywhere else. They seem to have a Tool vibe to them.

A Thousand Shields - Heavenly Infection

A Thousand Shields - live clips from a Firehouse Ministries show

EDIT: I found their website (http://athousandshields.webs.com/). Their lyrics are posted and definitely seem to be Christian based. They have a first album I did not know about, which is out of stock. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Extol is most certainly progressive, and an amazing band at that. I'd throw them in there.

Absolutely. I'd consider them progressive death metal though and anything with harsh vocals generally isn't welcomed too much on this forum, as I understand. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my butt.

Matty boy, this is Theocracy's forum...the fans love melody, harmony, choruses and clean vocals. Rawshik and I like everything, but the others never truly declared themselves when it comes to dead metals.

Something about Opeth throws me off too. Like, statistically speaking based on my ipod content, I should totally be into them but I've tried em several times and it never works out.