the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Getting ready for the Chicago Theater on April 5th. Sure, it's doubtful to hear Dream Theater pull out this song, but it's still one of my favorite instrumentals ever. I think this will be DT concert #8 or so for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you two didn't even give "Ijime, Dame, Zettai" and "Megitsune" a chance. Naturally I don't take them seriously but at moments those 2 songs really show some true potential, and all I ask is that you listen to them ignoring what you've previously known to be "Babymetal".

Ancient Bards - Soulless Child (2011)
pretty solid release

I loved this album. It really turned me on to rock/metal opera.

Pretty awesome. You may know the singer, btw. :)

Seen them on April 4th in Detroit. They absolutely ruled my face.

Same in Chicago! Of the 8 or so times I have seen them from 1997 until now, I don't know if I have heard James' voice in as good a shape as this tour. It's just too bad the parking in Chicago was almost as much as the concert ticket!

Unia & The Days of Grays - at last.

Most of Unia is a bit slow for me, but they're both good albums - I just wish they were more like earlier Sonata Arctica.

So saying, can anyone here recommend any speed metal bands with nice clear/clean vocals?

Edit: 3 days later I'm wondering what ever happened to the vibrant community that used to meet here regularly...

Unia & The Days of Grays - at last.

Most of Unia is a bit slow for me, but they're both good albums - I just wish they were more like earlier Sonata Arctica.

So saying, can anyone here recommend any speed metal bands with nice clear/clean vocals?

Edit: 3 days later I'm wondering what ever happened to the vibrant community that used to meet here regularly...

Better late than never. :) It has been quiet here.

Are you looking for some metal similar Sonata Arctica? I've heard some people compare Sacrecy. There are maybe some slight similarities, but not overly so, IMHO. They are also not super speedy. With that being said, I do recommend Sacrecy.

When I think of speed metal, I think Destiny's End. They are not Christian metal, nor are they similar to Sonata Arctica, but they are very speedy and have clean vocals.

I like all kinds of music. I don't stick to any one genre, because that's so restricting. There so many amazing music groups of all kings. However, when it comes to alternative rock or rock in general, I always find that there is one band standing up above all the others...

Stumbled upon this:

After which I googled "theocrapella" and had a few laughs reading the initial thread about this track and wanted to post it here since I assumed I wasn't the only one who didn't get the digibook. It's a really cool track and probably the closest thing to hearing how a person would sound if they did a concert with clones of themselves. Good job on the editing, Matts, and to think there's a million others who listened to Theocracy and never gave any thought to the rad choral parts.